Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2019, 11:50 AM

4,168 posts, read 2,566,993 times

Advertisements

There are still tons of aftershocks.

https://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/map/

---------------------------------------

Old 07-07-2019, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Boring View Post
We didn't feel it but our grandfather clock stopped and we are 142 linear miles away. One commenter on the LA Times mentioned squirrels barking (I didn't know squirrels barked) five minutes prior to the quake. A dude I knew in 1994 told me his dog woke him up 10 MINUTES prior to quakes - and the dog had done this other times with no false alarms. That's hard to believe.

On YouTube there are videos of animals reacting prior to humans feeling quakes.
https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...ses+earthquake
I think it's the P waves that they can feel before the S type of wave shows up.

"We can easily explain the cause of unusual animal behavior seconds before humans feel an earthquake. Very few humans notice the smaller P wave that travels the fastest from the earthquake source and arrives before the larger S wave. But many animals with more keen senses are able to feel the P wave seconds before the S wave arrives. As for sensing an impending earthquake days or weeks before it occurs, that's a different story."

https://earthquake.usgs.gov/learn/topics/animal_eqs.php

----------------------------------

Old 07-07-2019, 12:38 PM

37,105 posts, read 41,238,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Did you read that article before you posted it?

It's a hundreds miles away from the coast and hasn't produced an earthquake in over 300 years.
I do believe they mean a "megathrust" quake. The Cascadia Subduction Zone is 60 to 100 miles from the coast.

However, your claim that no one feels quakes in Oregon is still false.

You said:

"There are no active earthquake faults with in hundreds of miles of the Oregon coast. There is no recorded record of any significant earthquakes on the Oregon Coast. The only way anybody could possibly have felt an earthquake near the Oregon Coast would be from a distant earthquake, and those would be so far away, the chances of anyone feeling it would be virtually zero."

The Cascadia Subduction Zone is "with in hundreds of miles of the Oregon coast" and there is a record of the 1700 earthquake, which generated a tsunami that reached Japan.

This was just last year:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-a8502876.html

Last edited by suzy_q2010; 07-07-2019 at 01:02 PM..

Old 07-07-2019, 12:53 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,733,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creature of the Wheel View Post
So, does this mean the Kardashians and Kanye are still alive? That's unfortunate.
Really a necessary comment?

Old 07-07-2019, 12:58 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,733,896 times
I was looking for this but I posted it in the Nature thread that is going on too:

https://laist.com/2019/07/06/photos_...california.php

Old 07-07-2019, 01:38 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,701,628 times
I think what Cloudy is trying to say is that the Cascadia (autocorrect keeps wanting to change this to 'Cascade') Subduction fault isn't directly under any coastal communities. He thinks that because it's actually situated 70-100 miles out into the Pacific (not the 100s of miles that he claims), that Oregon coastal communities won't be affected if an earthquake occurs. He is, as usual, wrong, but it's a hill he's willing to die on.

Old 07-07-2019, 03:02 PM

Quote:
It's a hundreds miles away from the coast and hasn't produced an earthquake in over 300 years.
From their research the Cascadia fault line has produced very large quakes with the resulting tsunamis every 300-500 yrs. It is past due for one at the lower estimate. Those quakes were around 9.0. Big enough to decimate many communities in the PNW including Seattle, and Portland. Just because a quake hasn't happened again YET doesn't mean one won't happen. Japan is way ahead of us in preparation for this type of disaster, but they still got slammed. How much worse will we be because of a lack of preparation.

Even if that fault line was as far away as you claim, which it is NOT, a tsunami would be the result. Scientists don't know if the whole length of the Cascadia would go, or if parts of it will. Don't forget that something that large may affect the chain of volcanoes in the Cascade range. That would be a double whammy if any of them woke up along with a huge quake, and tsunami.

Go to high ground as soon as is possible immediately after the quake stops. It will save your life.

Surviving a Tsunami—Lessons from Chile, Hawaii, and Japan (An extremely excellent article)

https://pubs.usgs.gov/circ/c1187/

----------------------------------------------

Old 07-07-2019, 11:18 PM

15,416 posts, read 9,059,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
I do believe they mean a "megathrust" quake. The Cascadia Subduction Zone is 60 to 100 miles from the coast.

However, your claim that no one feels quakes in Oregon is still false.

You said:

"There are no active earthquake faults with in hundreds of miles of the Oregon coast. There is no recorded record of any significant earthquakes on the Oregon Coast. The only way anybody could possibly have felt an earthquake near the Oregon Coast would be from a distant earthquake, and those would be so far away, the chances of anyone feeling it would be virtually zero."

The Cascadia Subduction Zone is "with in hundreds of miles of the Oregon coast" and there is a record of the 1700 earthquake, which generated a tsunami that reached Japan.

This was just last year:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-a8502876.html
No my claim was not false. Since earthquakes are only felt to within about 100 miles, and damage is confined to about 50 miles, a fault 100 miles offshore is irrelevant.

Second the 1700 event was not recorded. The only people in Oregon at that time were Native Americans, and they didn't record earthquakes, or anything else for that matter.

My statement was "No one alive has ever experienced an earthquake on the Oregon Coast, nore are they likely to." I stand by that statement. Any Native Americans who may or may not have experienced an event in 1700, which may or may not have occured, would not be alive today. I will concede one small point. In addition to distant earthquakes, it's possible that somebody on the Oregon Coast could have felt one of those weak 3.X local earthquakes. But that would be as unlikely as them feeling a distant earthquake. The only 3.X earthquake I have ever been able to detect myself was a 3.6 quake. I happened to notice that the cords on my blinds started swing very slightly, for no apparent reason. It seemed strange to me. Shortly after that I read that there had been a 3.6 earthquake near me. That was my first clue that any earthquake had occurred. I have not even experienced that in Oregon, and I don't know anyone else who has.

Old 07-07-2019, 11:45 PM

44,622 posts, read 61,590,826 times
Earthquakes can be felt up to at least 300 miles depending on it's size.
The latest CA quake was felt 170 miles away.
https://losangeles.cbslocal.com/vide...rom-epicenter/

Old 07-08-2019, 12:20 AM

Quote:
No my claim was not false. Since earthquakes are only felt to within about 100 miles, and damage is confined to about 50 miles, a fault 100 miles offshore is irrelevant.

Second the 1700 event was not recorded. The only people in Oregon at that time were Native Americans, and they didn't record earthquakes, or anything else for that matter.

My statement was "No one alive has ever experienced an earthquake on the Oregon Coast, nore are they likely to." I stand by that statement. Any Native Americans who may or may not have experienced an event in 1700, which may or may not have occured, would not be alive today. I will concede one small point. In addition to distant earthquakes, it's possible that somebody on the Oregon Coast could have felt one of those weak 3.X local earthquakes. But that would be as unlikely as them feeling a distant earthquake. The only 3.X earthquake I have ever been able to detect myself was a 3.6 quake. I happened to notice that the cords on my blinds started swing very slightly, for no apparent reason. It seemed strange to me. Shortly after that I read that there had been a 3.6 earthquake near me. That was my first clue that any earthquake had occurred. I have not even experienced that in Oregon, and I don't know anyone else who has.
We must learn to understand why it's dangerous to build in the tsunami zone, and how to survive a tsunami when one happens. High ground, get to high ground as soon as you can. Or a tall building. It can save your life.

We in the PNW live in part of what is called "The Ring of Fire" where most of the world's big quakes take place. The same type of quake that did so much damage in Japan in 2011 is the same type of quake that happens with the Cascadia fault line. One of the earth's plates slides under the other creating friction over time. In spots it binds up, and sooner, or later it will release in a great quake that may cause a tsunami. In some of these the earth will sink at the same time the sea rushes in. These happen on a regular basis. It's the way the world works. The huge quake in alaska in 1964, and the huge quake in Chile decades ago, and the giant one in Japan all work the same way as the Cascadia fault. They all have the ability to produce 9.0, and higher quakes. Saying it doesn't happen in the face of scientific evidence to the contrary is short sided at best.

When we know scientifically that something has a high probability of occurring it is wise to either take preventative measures, or avoid living in that area altogether. It's like avoiding Tornado Alley if you don't like tornados. Here is where the Ring of Fire is located.

https://earthquake.usgs.gov/learn/gl...ng%20of%20Fire

Here is the answer to one of your statements. It's true that NA's didn't have written records. Just the same they had oral records passed down through generations that told of a village that got wiped out because of a great wave. But aside from that, I present to you for your edification "The orphan tsunami of 1700 in Japan". The Japanese did have a written language, and kept records of everything, including tsunamis. This one didn't have a quake in Japan to go with it. The puzzle wasn't solved until the 1990's when they discovered it came from the PNW. This is how they know when it happened. Good detective work.

Learn from the suffering of others, and maybe you too can survive a tsunami. Don't build in a tsunami zone.

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com...cascadia-1700/

------------------------------------------------------------
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events