Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2019, 03:36 PM

15,415 posts, read 9,055,068 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlulu23 View Post
The point was that you said "There are no active earthquake faults with in hundreds of miles of the Oregon coast." which is completely untrue, as that map shows.

You also said "There is no recorded record of any significant earthquakes on the Oregon Coast." Which is also untrue.

"Three earthquakes have affected southern Oregon since 1870. The first earthquake of note is the largest recorded earthquake in Oregon history. It occurred on November 23, 1873 at the California border on the coast and had a magnitude of 6.75. Damage was reported along the coast and in Josephine and Jackson Counties."

"1700 Cascadia earthquake. The 1700 Cascadia earthquake occurred along the Cascadia subduction zone on January 26 with an estimated moment magnitude of 8.7–9.2. The megathrust earthquake involved the Juan de Fuca Plate from mid-Vancouver Island, south along the Pacific Northwest coast as far as northern California."

Just because a fault is inactive now doesn't mean that it won't reactivate. But you just keep believing what you want even if untrue. The time since the last Cascadia megaquake in 1700 is but a blink of the eyes in earth time. No amount of time at all. Just stay right where you are. Don't prepare for any disasters if you can help it. That's all on you. You live in earthquake country just like California, and Washington like it, or not. I honestly believe that even if you were in the midst of a big quake, you would deny it.

https://oregonstate.edu/instruct/oer...ces_color.html

--------------------------------------------
Again those are not ACTIVE faults. They may not have been active for a million years. As for a 1700 Cascadia earthquake, there is zero evidence that occurred. It's 100% fake news. There is a record of a tsunami in Japan that year, but no evidence of where that tsunami came from. It could have been anywhere in the Pacific Ocean. The only record of it is in Japan, which would seem logical to believe that it was probably local to that area, probably off the Japanese coastline.

But lets pretend there was a catastrophic earthquake in 1700 in the Pacific Northwest. That was over 300 years ago. When you go 300 years without a major earthquake, I think you can safely say you are not in an earthquake zone. Almost every place in the world has more earthquakes then that. That's about as safe as you can get.

Old 07-11-2019, 04:43 PM

37,105 posts, read 41,233,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Again those are not ACTIVE faults. They may not have been active for a million years. As for a 1700 Cascadia earthquake, there is zero evidence that occurred. It's 100% fake news. There is a record of a tsunami in Japan that year, but no evidence of where that tsunami came from. It could have been anywhere in the Pacific Ocean. The only record of it is in Japan, which would seem logical to believe that it was probably local to that area, probably off the Japanese coastline.

But lets pretend there was a catastrophic earthquake in 1700 in the Pacific Northwest. That was over 300 years ago. When you go 300 years without a major earthquake, I think you can safely say you are not in an earthquake zone. Almost every place in the world has more earthquakes then that. That's about as safe as you can get.
Trees tell us when the quake happened, correlating with the tsunami in Japan.

https://www.ldeo.columbia.edu/node/13149

"Tree-Ring Dated Evidence Of Disturbance Extends Along About 100 Km Of Coastal Washington And Northern Oregon, These Results Support The Inference That A Great (M-W Similar To 8) Earthquake Or Larger At The Cascadia Subduction Zone Generated The Historical Tsunami That Struck Japan In January 1700."

Old 07-11-2019, 05:53 PM

4,168 posts, read 2,566,459 times
Quote:

You already said that once. Nowhere does it say on that map that those faults are inactive. It just calls them faults. Who are you to say they are inactive? That bit came from your imagination, not fact because you don't want to admit your error. Scientists can tell by the Ghost Forests in the subsided parts, tree rings, deposits of sand inland from the tsunami. But according to you, they don't count.

Whatever! I'm so glad people have progressed scientifically in this day, and age (for the most part). Otherwise they would still think the world is flat. Must be a real estate agent, or a COC "leader".

Old 07-11-2019, 10:54 PM

1,286 posts, read 1,480,576 times
Quote:
When you go 300 years without a major earthquake, I think you can safely say you are not in an earthquake zone. Almost every place in the world has more earthquakes then that. That's about as safe as you can get.
Lol wow. The level of naivety in these statements is actually comical. You're only fooling yourself, sir.

Old 07-12-2019, 12:28 AM

4,168 posts, read 2,566,459 times
This first video is short, but explains clearly all we've been talking about concerning the Cascadia quake.

https://youtu.be/6wWnWtFQpNE

This is a shorty too, but the visualizations really bring it home. I'd love to see a full length video by them. I'll have to see if there is one.

https://youtu.be/K_sJ0QJ31fc

This under 3 min video speaks on the "Slow Quakes". This is a more recent discovery, and super interesting. I lived in Sequim on the Olympic Peninsula, and these quakes moved south from British Columbia right under where I lived, and continued south into Oregon. So small that you couldn't feel them, but there were swarms of them, thousands over a two week time period as they slowly moved south.

Pretty freaky to learn this was going on right underneath you, and you didn't know it. There is another picture of the slow quakes where each dot represents a little quake, and were in different colors. That shows it moving right under Sequim, Port Angeles, etc from Canada south.

https://youtu.be/OG60EoriKiI

-------------------------------

Old 07-12-2019, 07:42 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,522,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chahunt View Post
Lol wow. The level of naivety in these statements is actually comical. You're only fooling yourself, sir.
If there's one thing I've learned from this forum is that this is Cloudy's world and we are all just players in it! Facts need not apply.

Old 07-12-2019, 09:57 AM

15,415 posts, read 9,055,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
If there's one thing I've learned from this forum is that this is Cloudy's world and we are all just players in it! Facts need not apply.
Or maybe we need to check and verify facts, before we blindly believe them. There is a lot of fake news going around these days, a lot.

Old 07-12-2019, 10:02 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,949,985 times
Quote:
I don't consider the Oregon Coast to be an earthquake zone. I was talking about places where people actually experience earthquakes. Places where people experience minor earthquakes regularly, and might possibly experience a major earthquake once in their lifetime. California, Western Washington, Southern Alaska, and Hawaii, and a few small isolated areas of other parts of the country. No one alive has ever experienced an earthquake on the Oregon Coast, nore are they likely to. So that is a non-issue.

When you're wrong, you're really wrong.

Old 07-12-2019, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Um, it's a fact. Please do your research, before you post nonsense. There are no active earthquake faults with in hundreds of miles of the Oregon coast. There is no recorded record of any significant earthquakes on the Oregon Coast. The only way anybody could possibly have felt an earthquake near the Oregon Coast would be from a distant earthquake, and those would be so far away, the chances of anyone feeling it would be virtually zero.

Please, at this point you're just embarrassing yourself.

Old 07-12-2019, 10:12 AM

Everyone's an expert when it comes to earthquakes.

I have seen people blindly believing what they were told by the news outlets. People who quit their jobs, sold their homes (and thus missed out on millions of dollars in price appreciation) and moved East right after the Loma Prieta quake (1989). They were convinced if they stayed, they would be killed by a freeway section crushing their car.

It did not help that in our company auditorium the earthquake coverage was non-stop and the most horrifying video shown repeatedly.

Don't get freaked out by this stuff. I'm convinced after 45 years of living in CA that 99.9% of earthquakes cause no damage and no one dies. Quakes happen all the time. You rarely hear about them. Nothing to get excited about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events