Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2020, 05:50 AM

37,102 posts, read 41,267,704 times

Advertisements

There is no way to idiot proof a ship in such a way that a determined idiot cannot defeat it. There is no way a builder of a cruise ship or the company that runs it could anticipate that an adult would do what he did.

Old 10-17-2020, 08:14 AM

9,457 posts, read 5,221,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizcuit View Post
Exactly. Who wants to sit by pool in a fish bowl with no breeze? What's the point of being on a cruise then?
Usually, the pools are on the outside deck, at least on ships I've been on.

Old 10-17-2020, 09:00 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,022,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
Usually, the pools are on the outside deck, at least on ships I've been on.
Yes they're outside, but they're also surrounded by windows on the sides of the decks. I've never been on a ship that just had railings around the pool deck. Not saying it doesn't exist, just that most ships are not like that.

A lot of ships also have a pool in the solarium, a room completely covered in windows.

Old 10-17-2020, 10:41 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,544,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
And the open window was above his waist. An adult could not just fall out unless they wanted to fall out

Quote:
A child would only fall out if an adult did what this guy did.
Unfortunately, they walk among us, as this man proved. Using every method of security to protect dumb people is necessary in todays' world.

Old 10-17-2020, 11:17 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,561,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
I don't for a minute believe the (step) grandfather dropped the child on purpose.

1, he made a horrible mistake and his grandchild lost her life. He and his family will suffer this knowledge forever. Mistakes happen. How many kids die in hot cars? Fatal mistakes by the caretakers. Mistakes.

2, NO cruise line should EVER have an open window on the 11th floor, no matter how protected it is. If the windows had all been glassed in, this would never have happened.
I totally agree about open windows that high up. If they do open they should be small enough that no one could fall or jump thru them. A few months before or after she died, someone jumped out of an open window.

Old 10-17-2020, 11:26 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
That is mostly how I look at it. However, punishment for doing something that harmed someone else is supposed to be a deterrent. So for example, if Mrs. Captain NJ decides she's had enough and crisply does away with you*, she might not ever again be a danger to anyone else, but shouldn't there be consequences for depriving the State of New Jersey of your perpetually-sunny presence? The idea of prison as punishment could very well exist for your safety.

* I'm quite fascinated with true crime and have some great ideas on where a body could be disposed of with little chance of discovery in Monmouth County, so feel free to give her my DM info if she needs any suggestions. Just sayin'.
there have been polls taken in NJ that ask why people move here and 1% of respondents say that its thanks to CaptainNJ's posts on city data. i am a state treasure that would be missed if the wife decides to end me.

i think a lot about criminal justice but not specifically at the punishments for various crimes. i tend to focus on what should or shouldnt be crimes period. im not sure i want to go down the rabbit hole.

i would think body disposal wouldnt be that difficult if you have time. but thats also not really something ive given any thought to either. the only time i think about me having to kill someone is if someone breaks in my house.

Old 10-17-2020, 10:29 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,022,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I totally agree about open windows that high up. If they do open they should be small enough that no one could fall or jump thru them. A few months before or after she died, someone jumped out of an open window.
If someone really wants to jump off a ship, a higher window isn't going to stop them. Plenty of areas on a ship where it's nothing but a waist high railing between you and the ocean. Should ships get ride of those too? Enclose the whole thing due to what people could possibly do?

The windows are perfectly safe as they are now. An adult cannot accidently fall out of one. It has to be purposeful. A child cannot fall out a window either unless an adult picks them up and holds them out the window or to the window ledge. Which is also a purposeful act. No one accidently picks a child up and holds them out a window.

Old 10-18-2020, 02:17 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,561,054 times
Parents of toddler who fell from a Royal Caribbean ship still suing the cruise line after grandfather pleads guilty
Quote:
Despite the grandfather of Chloe Wiegand pleading guilty to negligent homicide, the parents of the child are still pursuing a lawsuit against Royal Caribbean.

The parents of 18-month-old Chloe Wiegand filed a lawsuit against Royal Caribbean in December 2019 that alleges the cruise line was at fault because the accident was preventable.

He added that discovery and evidence confirm "this was a tragic, preventable accident" and there were no grounds to bring charges against the grandfather.

The family attorney claims the photos are "misleading".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
If someone really wants to jump off a ship, a higher window isn't going to stop them. Plenty of areas on a ship where it's nothing but a waist high railing between you and the ocean. Should ships get ride of those too? Enclose the whole thing due to what people could possibly do?

The windows are perfectly safe as they are now. An adult cannot accidently fall out of one. It has to be purposeful. A child cannot fall out a window either unless an adult picks them up and holds them out the window or to the window ledge. Which is also a purposeful act. No one accidently picks a child up and holds them out a window.
No one picks a child up and holds them out a window except Salvatore Anello

Last edited by Roselvr; 10-18-2020 at 02:26 AM..

Old 10-18-2020, 07:32 AM

22,334 posts, read 29,432,497 times
The family will lose. Period

Old 10-18-2020, 07:50 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,274,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
That is because they wanted to jump out.

A child barely 2 feet tall could not do the same unless they were lifted up there by an adult.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events