Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2019, 11:56 AM

2,020 posts, read 1,123,947 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Exactly. People that have not been on these ships don’t understand - it is very easy to tell that a window is open. Very clearly open. One would have to be extremely impaired to make such a mistake.
Agree. The video points it out perfectly for those who have not been on a cruise ship.

I have been on many cruises. You're right. One would have to be seriously impaired to not notice an open window that is right in front of your face.

There is no safety issue with this setup. There is no chance of stumbling over a four foot railing. The only possible way to fall out the window would be to sit or stand on it and lose your balance (or get pushed off ).

Old 12-06-2019, 02:38 PM

15,420 posts, read 9,075,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Exactly. People that have not been on these ships don’t understand - it is very easy to tell that a window is open. Very clearly open. One would have to be extremely impaired to make such a mistake.
Yeah, especially when the windows are tinted like that. I think some people just feel sorry for the guy. So they are trying to think up any excuse they can to justify his extreme recklessness.

Old 12-11-2019, 11:34 AM

11,795 posts, read 12,033,106 times
A lawsuit is due to be filed today, suing Royal Caribbean for negligence alleging the accident was the company's fault. Damages unspecified but that the cruise line failed to 'provide reasonably safe children entertainment areas', failed to adequately mark the open windows' and failed to 'install safety prevention devices on windows' among other grievances.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...royal-n1099576

Old 12-11-2019, 11:37 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

35,629 posts, read 17,961,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katnan View Post
A lawsuit is due to be filed today, suing Royal Caribbean for negligence alleging the accident was the company's fault. Damages unspecified but that the cruise line failed to 'provide reasonably safe children entertainment areas', failed to adequately mark the open windows' and failed to 'install safety prevention devices on windows' among other grievances.

Interesting, once again the attorney states the window was not compliant with cruise ship safety requirements, and notes another cruise line that is compliant.

I wish I could read what he's referring to.

Old 12-11-2019, 01:11 PM

15,420 posts, read 9,075,004 times
Quote:

That is probably the most ridiculous lawsuit that has ever been filed.

Old 12-11-2019, 02:38 PM

22,334 posts, read 29,432,497 times
It will and should get dismissed. RCCL should sue the parents. The parents should sue Grandpa. Grandpa should go to jail. End of story.

Merry Christmas everyone!!

Old 12-11-2019, 04:00 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

35,629 posts, read 17,961,729 times
Press conference. Chloe's mom and grandfather address the media with a prepared statement.

ndystar.com/story/news/crime/2019/12/11/chloe-weigand-royal-caribbean-cruise-ship-fall-lawsuit/4387312002/

Old 12-11-2019, 04:14 PM

3,573 posts, read 2,881,563 times
Quote:

Watching the tour video posted it's clear that the pathway was not part of the "children entertainment areas" It's an entrance and egress with sitting areas but that's it.

I've posted enough about open window's so not going there.

I'm curious about "safety prevention devices on windows" lawyer was referring to.

Old 12-11-2019, 04:21 PM

46,951 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:

They got around to filing, I see. They've been talking about doing so since July. At this point in time, I am slightly inclined to think that they've been holding out for Royal Caribbean to call for a "How much for this to go away?" conversation and are now on Plan B. Let's see what happens.

The press conference was of the "We're devastated" variety, and they have a right to. But it's still not the cruise line's fault, from where I'm sitting.

Old 12-11-2019, 04:44 PM

46,951 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Interesting, once again the attorney states the window was not compliant with cruise ship safety requirements...
Actually he doesn't, notice the weasel words:

Quote:
"These windows are entirely not compliant with the standard for windows on cruise ships,” he said.
"Standards" can of course be formal and informal.

Quote:
“Carnival and [Norwegian Cruise Line] and even newer Royal Caribbean cruise ships have windows that are wholly compliant with these window fall prevention codes"
"Codes" are always formalized, but he doesn't say that the codes are actually applicable for ships. He could be referring to US building codes for all we know.

So you take the lawyerese out of those sentences, and what he's saying is:
  • Some other cruise ships don't have windows that open
  • Some codes exist that discuss window safety
  • Ergo, gimme.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events