Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2019, 05:19 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,725,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
This is the deal. You CAN'T sue the cruise line.

The cruise line may pay them a bunch of money to be quiet and go away (Disney parents whose kid was attacked by the gator) but you cannot sue.
Sure you can. Here’s a recent suit that went to a jury trial. Cruise line lost.

The onus is on the plaintiff to prove gross negligence/ willful misconduct.

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/bus...227305689.html

Very likely every cruise line has hundreds of pending lawsuits at any point in time. Many are frivolous including but not limited to a missed port call due to bad weather.

Many people drink to excess and have accidents. Some sue the cruise line for serving them or allowing them to bring wine on board.

Old 07-09-2019, 05:40 PM

4,046 posts, read 2,131,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
That didn't take long. Someone's looking for a pay day, and the family's attorney is blaming the cruise line.

Yeah, shouldn't they be busy grieving and making funeral arrangements and maybe getting psychiatric help, especially for the grandfather, to help him deal with his negligence causing his garndchild's death? Seems like the case would still be valid a month from now---why the rush for an attorney?

Old 07-09-2019, 05:52 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,725,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Here is a video of the 11th deck of the Freedom of the Seas. The windows are tinted blue. It's impossible to not notice which windows are closed and which are open.

Here’s a video of the H2O fun zone/ deck 11 for kids. You can see the tinted windows in the background.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=F-332844fZ4

Old 07-09-2019, 06:23 PM

8,497 posts, read 3,338,301 times
From the above video, it's pretty clear from the "checkerboard" pattern of deep blue - clear that most of the sliders are open. Folks must appreciate the air flow. I get that the family wanted a spokesperson (attorney) to help clarify that the grandfather wasn't pulling a Michael Jackson. I also tend to believe the grandfather thought the window was closed and now must live with how he could have been so mistaken.

That said, the attorney questioning that a passenger had access to open the windows appears off base. That's the intention. Sure, in theory, children could wander unseen from the pool area then push chairs to the windows but that's unlikely. There are lots of people around with most loungers normally taken with - hopefully - watchful parents having better sight lines if its uncrowded. So, yes, it's a deck with kids who may be somewhat on their own - unlike the upper uncovered decks where there's open railing and lots of empty loungers. But the reality is that shipboard falls are more likely to be adults doing stupid things on their stateroom balconies.

Even normally careful people cannot avoid all accidents - and not every event even if tragic is someone else's fault.

Old 07-09-2019, 07:26 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 5 days ago)

35,620 posts, read 17,948,343 times
Thanks to everyone who has posted video apparently taken from other people's vacation videos of the cruise ship on trips before this tragedy happened. The photos are helpful; however, a specific video of the actual place where this child went through the window, with photos of what it looked like exactly that day. Was there JUST one window opened, as the lawyer seems to assert?

What a sweet child.

https://people.com/human-interest/fa...oddlers-death/

Old 07-09-2019, 07:45 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,247,100 times
Now they are saying he didn't drop her?

Granted it's the "Post" but who knows-

https://nypost.com/2019/07/09/family...r-dropped-her/

Old 07-09-2019, 07:48 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,984,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Thanks to everyone who has posted video apparently taken from other people's vacation videos of the cruise ship on trips before this tragedy happened. The photos are helpful; however, a specific video of the actual place where this child went through the window, with photos of what it looked like exactly that day. Was there JUST one window opened, as the lawyer seems to assert?

What a sweet child.

https://people.com/human-interest/fa...oddlers-death/
Lawyer's already going in on this one.

Quote:
"I do think there is going to be blame and significant blame on the cruise line, and I will do everything I can to hold them accountable, for what appears to me to be negligence."

"...why would you have that kind of a hidden danger without any warning, without any sign, without any notice?"
Please. Ship launched 2005. Amazing how it's sooo dangerous, yet no one has managed to fall out of those windows in the last 14 years as far as we know, babies included, on all the trips this ship has taken, with the high rate of passenger turnover, people of all ages and all levels of drunkenness and accident-prone aboard. Maybe placing a child on the railing so she can hit the glass isn't something people normally do. A cruise ship is not a hockey arena, kid was 11 floors up, even if the window really was closed like he apparently thought. It's nothing like a kid banging on the glass when she's max like 6 feet above the floor and ice, being held by someone. Sometimes an accident is an accident and the only negligent person was the one responsible for the kid who fell out the window, who placed her at the edge. I don't think grandpa deserves any more punishment than living with this for the rest of his life, however. I believe it is his fault but that's enough, he doesn't need jail or to be sued by his own family. But I'm really rolling my eyes here that the family's lawyer is already starting with this "it's the cruise line's fault" BS.

Last edited by JerseyGirl415; 07-09-2019 at 07:56 PM..

Old 07-09-2019, 07:56 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
Now they are saying he didn't drop her?

Granted it's the "Post" but who knows-

https://nypost.com/2019/07/09/family...r-dropped-her/
Same story, though. It still says the grandfather lifted her up to a railing, and she went to bang on the glass like she does at her brother's hockey games.

Old 07-09-2019, 09:25 PM

282 posts, read 247,954 times
On the news tonight they showed the ship and the play area the grandfather picked her up in. It was glass enclosed. there was a rail that he had her balanced on as they looked out the window. They actually showed pictures of her looking through other glass enclosures and leaning on the windows as toddlers often do. This particular window, was not locked. They said she pushed on the window and went through. I don't see why ANY of those windows pictured on the ship would be open. To me the room appeared to just have a glass enclosure. I would have no clue they opened. IF they are supposed to open surely their should be a signage (particularly in a children's play area) that they open and are not locked shut.

The report on this evening's news was very different from what was originally reported that Grandpa dangled child OUT the window. Certainly was not the case.

I bet everyone of those windows is locked now.

Old 07-09-2019, 09:40 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,247,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
Same story, though. It still says the grandfather lifted her up to a railing, and she went to bang on the glass like she does at her brother's hockey games.
Yeah...headline didn't = the actual article.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events