Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2020, 03:14 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,545,704 times

Advertisements

A friend of mine caught this article. He's crazy if he doesn't take the plea deal. If he keeps denying it then it goes to blame the parents because now he's medically impaired somehow; the parents never should have let him have Chloe unsupervised.

Harrowing video showing moment grandfather dropped toddler to her death from cruise ship window is revealed as prosecutors offer plea deal to spare him jail if he admits blame for tragedy

Quote:
Video footage shows the moment Salvatore Anello dropped Chloe Wiegand, 18 months, from a Royal Caribbean ship on July 7 in San Juan, Puerto Rico

The IT worker slumps to the ground in shock and horror as he watches his little granddaughter fall to her death after lifting her up to see out of a window

Anello was charged with negligent homicide and if found guilty, he faces three years in prison

Prosecutors offered him a plea deal on Tuesday, which he would have to admit guilt to receive no jail time, minimum probation and minimum supervision

Anello has said he didn't realize the window Chloe 'slipped' through was open

Last month, Anello claimed he didn't realize there wasn't any glass in the window pane because he is colorblind

His lawyers said on Tuesday they plan to present Anello's medical records and evidence on his health status, also indicating they would want a trial by jury
Quote:
In Tuesday's hearing, his lawyers said they plan to present Anello's medical records and evidence on his health status, and also indicated they would want a trial by jury.

His legal team will try to prove his color blindness meant he couldn't see that there wasn't any glass in the window pane the little girl fell through.

The next court hearing is set for January 27, 2020.

Daily mail video

Muppet host video

Last edited by Roselvr; 01-19-2020 at 03:25 AM..

Old 01-19-2020, 05:15 AM

4,047 posts, read 2,131,639 times
I don't think the video shows him dropping to the ground after Chloe fell (I can't make all that much in the video anyway)---but does that strike anyone else as a weird reaction? If you dropped a child, wouldn't you be racing to get down to that level? I guess he could have been in shock...

Old 01-19-2020, 05:19 AM

22,331 posts, read 29,421,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
I wouldn’t be surprised if the baby’s parents turn their rage on the grandfather at some point and stop defending him. I do feel bad for him. He didn’t intend to kill her and he is going to be haunted by it for the rest of his life. No punishment could be worse than that. I wish the video were clearer.
The one off yahoo released by the cruise line just yesterday is beyond crystal clear. I'm not sure why some people are saying they cannot see the grandfather leaning out the window before he picks her up. There is no question about it. He killed her

Old 01-19-2020, 05:52 AM

15,419 posts, read 9,069,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
I don't think the video shows him dropping to the ground after Chloe fell (I can't make all that much in the video anyway)---but does that strike anyone else as a weird reaction? If you dropped a child, wouldn't you be racing to get down to that level? I guess he could have been in shock...
Race down to see what? A baby's body splattered on the concrete? He could see that from the window. The entire incident was weird. So it doesn't surprise me that his reaction was weird.

Old 01-19-2020, 06:15 AM

22,331 posts, read 29,421,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post

Has anyone thought this could have possibly been planned all along by GP????

Old 01-19-2020, 06:17 AM

37,607 posts, read 45,978,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Perceptions aren't always real and true.

I don't think the parents are lying. I truly think they believe the grandpa didn't know the window was open.

Because that's how perception works. It's based on your past experiences as well as what you can observe now.
If they really believed that, then they are willfully ignoring the video that SHOWS him leaning out the window. And if that’s is what they are doing, it’s the same as lying. It’s willful deceit. Ignoring evidence.

The only possible motivation I can see here was mentioned above. GF has an impairment of some sort and never should have been allowed to be in charge of a child. And that is completely on the parents.

Old 01-19-2020, 07:15 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 5 days ago)

35,620 posts, read 17,953,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
If they really believed that, then they are willfully ignoring the video that SHOWS him leaning out the window. And if that’s is what they are doing, it’s the same as lying. It’s willful deceit. Ignoring evidence.

The only possible motivation I can see here was mentioned above. GF has an impairment of some sort and never should have been allowed to be in charge of a child. And that is completely on the parents.
Look around you. How many people have you known who have WILLFULLY ignored the truth about something, because to do otherwise would kill them?

There's a psych theory called Cognitive Dissonance. Once you've made up your mind about something, depending on how important it is for you to believe in it, it won't change no matter what evidence you're presented with. A new piece of evidence showing that you're wrong makes the person extremely agitated, and then, somehow, they're able to work that evidence into the belief they already hold. The video angle was wrong, etc. And they emerge fully still believing the thing they originally believed.

We can all sit here at our computers and chide them for not being able to see what's on the video, because we never knew that girl and older man, and frankly, are just here as lookyloos with zero stake in what happened.

This is their life. This is their beloved sweet little girl, and their beloved stepfather. And to see what everyone else who doesn't really care at all what happened, that he lifted her out the window and somehow lost his grasp on her, would kill them.

Old 01-19-2020, 07:53 AM

88,560 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
Has anyone thought this could have possibly been planned all along by GP????
To what purpose, though?

Old 01-19-2020, 08:01 AM

6,192 posts, read 7,355,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sockeye66 View Post
I've read through comment sections accompanying the articles and it's commonly stated he refused a breathalyzer. I have not found that in published reports.

There are a few posters here familiar with cruise lines saying RC would have record if he did drink aboard the ship.
I thought about the possibility that he had drinks before getting on or on the ship itself. Also if someone else brought you a drink the cruise ship wouldn't have a record that you got it yourself. If my husband bought a bucket of beers, for example, then it would just look like he got them and they wouldn't know if I drank all of them.

Quote:
Perceptions aren't always real and true.

I don't think the parents are lying. I truly think they believe the grandpa didn't know the window was open.

Because that's how perception works. It's based on your past experiences as well as what you can observe now.
I think they are just trying to save face now---I don't believe their perceptions are skewed---at least not everyone in the family. After everything that is coming out if their lawyer had any sense at all, he would sit down and really try to hash this out with them, because if they go to trial at this point I do not think anyone from that family will look good.

Even now---they are going to bring medical records saying he couldn't see because of the color blindness---that didn't affect his ability to already put his head through the area, see that it was actually open and then continue to hold the baby out of the window for more than ten seconds. And all of that time they were selling the story that the grandfather wanted to let the baby bang on the glass (that he already knew wasn't there) because she did that at her brother's hockey games (and included the widely circulated photo of her doing it to support that.)

Old 01-19-2020, 08:19 AM

37,607 posts, read 45,978,731 times
Quote:
Look around you. How many people have you known who have WILLFULLY ignored the truth about something, because to do otherwise would kill them?

There's a psych theory called Cognitive Dissonance. Once you've made up your mind about something, depending on how important it is for you to believe in it, it won't change no matter what evidence you're presented with. A new piece of evidence showing that you're wrong makes the person extremely agitated, and then, somehow, they're able to work that evidence into the belief they already hold. The video angle was wrong, etc. And they emerge fully still believing the thing they originally believed.

We can all sit here at our computers and chide them for not being able to see what's on the video, because we never knew that girl and older man, and frankly, are just here as lookyloos with zero stake in what happened.

This is their life. This is their beloved sweet little girl, and their beloved stepfather. And to see what everyone else who doesn't really care at all what happened, that he lifted her out the window and somehow lost his grasp on her, would kill them.
That doesn't change where I stated that they are literally ignoring facts, to save their own reputations. They are not looking at the video - clearly. They don't want to see what is plainly there. I certainly understand that they are most likely still in shock and it will be years before they really move on from this (if they ever can). But to try and blame the cruise line for something that they themselves are responsible for - that is willful deceit - I don't care what the cause is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events