Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2020, 06:18 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

35,629 posts, read 17,961,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
You didnt mention the part about adults and standing there in your previous post haha smdh
maybe throw in an armed guard and a cage for the dog and maybe you would be close.

nice way to move goal posts but I expect that from your replies. It is still a JUSTIFIED response from the child.

I was an abused child and your thoughts are completely off base imo. I'm not sure where you come up with some of this stuff you post.
You should probably re-read the post, SVT. I said, "if the dog makes a move to get off the couch, we will prevent that".

Reread before you continue to attack me, for basically agreeing with your point of view.

Since you were an abused child, surely you know about hypervigilance, and how that works to your detriment.

Hypervigilance is a useful tool when you are in danger, but it's not a useful tool when you're trying to concentrate in Algebra class.

I think you're throwing stones at the wrong person. I fully understand how children who have suffered trauma develop tools to keep themselves safe, which are only useful in times where they are in actual danger, but in fact, work against them when they are not. And they are unable to turn the hypervigilance "off" when they are safe. And focus on Algebra.

Old 01-19-2020, 06:33 PM

6,456 posts, read 3,978,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I wonder if the parents have had any counseling or therapy. I don't think therapy is the answer for everything, but it could help the child who is afraid of dogs, and it could probably help this family at least a little bit.
If their issue is that they can't find a healthy way to deal with this besides denial? Yes, I'd say so.

Old 01-19-2020, 07:02 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,001,935 times
I imagine the parents are still in self preservation mode. I doubt they've watched any of the videos.

I don't think grandpa "dangled" the child. I think he was standing her on the window ledge, not the safety rail as reported. There's a gap between the rail and the window which is why he had to lean forward. There's no evidence in the videos posted here that shows dangling.

Video from outside the ship would reveal the truth. I hope it will never be released.

Old 01-19-2020, 07:04 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

Quote:
Originally Posted by the minx View Post
I imagine the parents are still in self preservation mode. I doubt they've watched any of the videos.

I don't think grandpa "dangled" the child. I think he was standing her on the window ledge, not the safety rail as reported. There's a gap between the rail and the window which is why he had to lean forward. There's no evidence in the videos posted here that shows dangling.

Video from outside the ship would reveal the truth. I hope it will never be released.
I agree with you completely. This is for the courts to deal with, and the reality is horrid.

Old 01-19-2020, 07:31 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,248,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
They probably won't ever be able to accept the reality, saibot, that's the thing.

We think our brains are meant to process absolute truths, and that's not the case at all. Our brains are meant to keep us well and healthy. For example, if a child has been attacked and mauled by a dog, she might develop an enormous, unjustified fear of dogs, and will no be able to be convinced that that sweet old beagle asleep on the couch isn't going to attack her. There is no amount of convincing her of what everyone else can clearly see - the dog poses no danger whatsoever. And if the dog gets up and tries to get off the couch, we will prevent that.

In the same way, the parents brains are saying no, grandpa isn't responsible for her death. They trusted grandpa to keep their baby safe, and didn't think a thing when he left their side to supervise the child. And the unthinkable (to them) happened.

In my opinion, the culprit here is the lawyer who has taken this case he knows to be fraudulent. He should have had the fortitude to tell them gently that he's not taking the case, it's unwinnable, and offered words of comfort in the loss of their dear baby. But instead, he's going for the money grab that is prolonging their pain and making their journey all that much harder.
A teacup chihuahua could trigger a JUSTIFIED fear in a child that had been mauled.

Old 01-19-2020, 08:15 PM

2,083 posts, read 1,087,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
A friend of mine caught this article. He's crazy if he doesn't take the plea deal. If he keeps denying it then it goes to blame the parents because now he's medically impaired somehow; the parents never should have let him have Chloe unsupervised.

Harrowing video showing moment grandfather dropped toddler to her death from cruise ship window is revealed as prosecutors offer plea deal to spare him jail if he admits blame for tragedy

Daily mail video

Muppet host video
After watching these videos it looks to me like he knew very well the window was open and actually leaned out of it for a couple seconds before he picked his granddaughter up. Then with her in his arms he dangled her out the window for quite a while before he dropped her. This guy is crazier and more guilty than what I thought originally. What the hell was he thinking?!!!

Old 01-19-2020, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
A teacup chihuahua could trigger a JUSTIFIED fear in a child that had been mauled.
I get that. Reread my previous posts if you think I am disagreeing with your post.

*sigh* I do get it, that people don't read posts.

Old 01-19-2020, 08:59 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,564,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
*rolls eyes*

It is unjustified to fear a sleeping, old beagle when adults are standing between you and the beagle.

BUT, that's a healthy brain at work. Being hypervigilant to dangers the body has already experienced, to the point of not being rational.

That beagle is NOT going to harm the child, and everyone in the room knows it.

Just as everyone here can see the grandfather knew the window was open, but the child's parent's can't. They just, can't. Their brains won't let them realize that information.

I also hope you don't work around children, of any sort.
I think that is a bad analogy. The child has a reasonable fear of dogs, imo, after suffering a trauma due to one.

Old 01-20-2020, 12:51 AM

22,334 posts, read 29,432,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
To what purpose, though?
People kill other people all the time for no reason....

Old 01-20-2020, 03:38 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,265,634 times
This is murder, folks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events