Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2020, 08:00 AM

14,302 posts, read 11,688,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I think the people who looked at the story in horror, and gasped and posted "oh no that poor family, that poor sweet little girl!! that family will never be the same" are mostly gone.

They reacted, felt sad for a moment, and moved on. They're now posting a reaction to a funny puppy video or a new trendy restaurant.

For the most part, the people who continue to react to a news story like this are the outraged, who are seeking vengeance. Or at the very least would like to see the family endure the additional pain of publicly acknowledging their trusted grandpa was willfully negligent and is fully to blame for their child's death.

Do you disagree with that?
I agree with your statements, but those videos and the words of the family, blaming the cruise line and saying Grandpa did nothing wrong, are outrageous. That's why people feel outrage. The time for "soft, quiet empathy" is long gone.

Old 01-28-2020, 08:10 AM

5,989 posts, read 6,778,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I somewhat agree that he doesn't believe he's lying but then again, that video interview where he wipes dry eyes is pretty damning to him. I only watched it, didn't listen yet.

I feel he is to blame, he lifted her up there. I also feel the video we've seen is some what deceptive. I'd really like to see more video, especially since there's supposedly 13 cameras.

What gets me is why is the cruise line going to remodel that area all of a sudden? While the case is ongoing, I don't think they should be allowed to touch it, especially if there is a jury trial. Every juror should be allowed access to the area to see it for themselves and to try to lean over.
They're probably remodeling the children's area (which this does NOT appear to have been), in order to make it impossible for anyone to drop children over the railing in that area! As I have said before, the only way to prevent this is to make all viewing areas have plexiglass panels that are 8 feet high, with viewing openings less than a foot wide between them, so that even a very young infant could not be squeezed out between them.

It was manslaughter. At best accidental, at worst negligent. He should have struck a deal with the prosecution. And there is no way that they have a case against the cruise ship company.

Old 01-28-2020, 08:15 AM

2,020 posts, read 1,123,351 times
Quote:
I think the people who looked at the story in horror, and gasped and posted "oh no that poor family, that poor sweet little girl!! that family will never be the same" are mostly gone.

They reacted, felt sad for a moment, and moved on. They're now posting a reaction to a funny puppy video or a new trendy restaurant.

For the most part, the people who continue to react to a news story like this are the outraged, who are seeking vengeance. Or at the very least would like to see the family endure the additional pain of publicly acknowledging their trusted grandpa was willfully negligent and is fully to blame for their child's death.

Vengeance? More like justice.

The family is the one who immediately sought to place blame elsewhere.

The family sought publicity by immediately going on talk shows. Their attorney gave multiple statements prior to the completion of the investigation. The father is a police office. He knows the process of investigations. The family and their attorney tried to circumvent it and try RCCL in the court of public opinion. It backfired. If the truth hurts them, so be it.

Old 01-28-2020, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I agree with your statements, but those videos and the words of the family, blaming the cruise line and saying Grandpa did nothing wrong, are outrageous. That's why people feel outrage. The time for "soft, quiet empathy" is long gone.
Well said.

Old 01-28-2020, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
They're probably remodeling the children's area (which this does NOT appear to have been), in order to make it impossible for anyone to drop children over the railing in that area! As I have said before, the only way to prevent this is to make all viewing areas have plexiglass panels that are 8 feet high, with viewing openings less than a foot wide between them, so that even a very young infant could not be squeezed out between them.

It was manslaughter. At best accidental, at worst negligent. He should have struck a deal with the prosecution. And there is no way that they have a case against the cruise ship company.
Agree. Similar to when Tylenol added tamper proof packaging to protect future consumers. They had to acknowledge a similar event could occur again and act accordingly.

Old 01-28-2020, 08:29 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,042,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I somewhat agree that he doesn't believe he's lying but then again, that video interview where he wipes dry eyes is pretty damning to him. I only watched it, didn't listen yet.

I feel he is to blame, he lifted her up there. I also feel the video we've seen is some what deceptive. I'd really like to see more video, especially since there's supposedly 13 cameras.

What gets me is why is the cruise line going to remodel that area all of a sudden? While the case is ongoing, I don't think they should be allowed to touch it, especially if there is a jury trial. Every juror should be allowed access to the area to see it for themselves and to try to lean over.
I agree.

As I said earlier, not a good look for the cruise line.

Even if they can prove the remodel was scheduled long before the accident, the family's lawyers will twist this around to make it look like the cruise line is trying to hide something.

Old 01-28-2020, 08:31 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,267,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaGWS View Post

The family sought publicity by immediately going on talk shows. Their attorney gave multiple statements prior to the completion of the investigation. The father is a police office. He knows the process of investigations. The family and their attorney tried to circumvent it and try RCCL in the court of public opinion. It backfired. If the truth hurts them, so be it.
The mother is a lawyer

Old 01-28-2020, 08:32 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 5 days ago)

35,620 posts, read 17,948,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaGWS View Post

So let me ask this of those here in this conversation who blame the parents. If the family quietly withdrew the lawsuit, and made a brief statement that changes in the set up of the area were unnecessary, would the blaming of the parents stop? Or would there still be an outcry for them to turn on grandpa, and state that he is solely at fault and they were wrong to have trusted him with their child? Would it take that to make people stop posting against the grieving family?

Old 01-28-2020, 08:36 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,138,178 times
Quote:

I think it's not so much wanting vengeance for the Chloe's death as it is the fact that the family wants to pin the blame on the cruise line, and are putting some pretty wild spins on 'facts' in order to do so. Had they not gone with a lawsuit I really doubt you'd see so many people outraged. As far as having to endure the pain of publicly acknowledging fault, well that is something they CHOSE to risk when trying to place fault elsewhere.
Quote:
So let me ask this of those here in this conversation who blame the parents. If the family quietly withdrew the lawsuit, and made a brief statement that changes in the set up of the area were unnecessary, would the blaming of the parents stop? Or would there still be an outcry for them to turn on grandpa, and state that he is solely at fault and they were wrong to have trusted him with their child? Would it take that to make people stop posting against the grieving family?
That horse has left the barn. What it would probably take would be for the parents to admit they were wrong in going after the cruise line in the first place, which by it's nature is an admission that the fault lies elsewhere, meaning Grampa. Part of the problem is that this family seems to be the ones out for vengeance, they want to push the responsibility onto someone else for Chloe's death and they want someone to pay for it.
I get that there is a lot of anger, but I don't think this is how most people expect a grieving family to react to a tragedy of this sort.

Last edited by DubbleT; 01-28-2020 at 08:45 AM..

Old 01-28-2020, 08:40 AM

23,865 posts, read 33,545,704 times
Quote:
It really doesn't bother me much that they're trying to sue because as of right now, they really only have what Sam has said as well as having seen the videos put out and what their attorney has been saying to them. I think the only thing that will change their opinion of Sam being responsible would be to see the video from the other cameras. They really do not want to believe that he put her in harms way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events