Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2020, 03:53 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,267,971 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know how long step GF has been married to maternal Gmom? She is about ten years older than him.

Old 01-24-2020, 04:00 PM

ok - they got married in 2004.

Old 01-24-2020, 04:47 PM

37,607 posts, read 45,978,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Well, yes, IMHO.

If the outside camera shows his head did NOT cross the plane of the window, and he never stuck his head through the window space, nor did he dangle the baby through the window space, that would make a difference to me.

What switched me from being on the fence about whether grandpa knew the window was open was the video the cruise produced that showed he apparently leaned out the window before picking the baby up, and then dangled her out the window before losing his grip.

If, as the family states, that is misleading video and he did not, in fact, put his head through the window opening, I'm back to square one. On the fence.
You cannot stand in front of those windows and NOT know that they are open. You just can’t. You have to realize the family is grasping at straws. I’ve been on that ship… You can’t think a window is closed when it’s open. You would have to be completely blind, even if you were the breeze would give it away.

Old 01-24-2020, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
You cannot stand in front of those windows and NOT know that they are open. You just can’t. You have to realize the family is grasping at straws. I’ve been on that ship… You can’t think a window is closed when it’s open. You would have to be completely blind, even if you were the breeze would give it away.
And in the video he held that child way over his head. He wanted her to clear that open ledge.

In the reenactment - the guy just held the doll up about a foot from his chest.

What was step grandpa thinnking? I can see that it was an accident. He thought she wanted to be up high and look out the window. Maybe see the ocean and unfortunately, he lost his grip.

He doesn't look that fit, so I can see him getting tired and dropping her if she was out there for over 30 seconds.

This lawsuit is just making them look bad IMO. Say you are sorry - take the plea deal and probation.

Old 01-24-2020, 05:07 PM

12,842 posts, read 867,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Yes, he was her step grandpa. In an interview the parents said that he’d let her bang on the glass at her brother’s hockey games, which I take to mean they’re involved grandparents who attend their grandkids’ events and are responsible for the kids and entertaining them. They went on vacation together, he was watching her, it suggests they’re a tight knit family. They have shared pictures of the two together. Dad said “she was his best friend.” - https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.new...d47e8f9743f1ad (I hope that link works - I hate google amp but am on mobile right now)

The fact that he’s not blood related doesn’t mean anything. I think he loved that kid he just did a really dumb thing and now no one in the family can accept his responsibility in what happened.
I'm willing to bet that there ARE people in the family that DO accept his responsibility. We're just not going to hear about.

Old 01-24-2020, 05:29 PM
bjh

60,079 posts, read 30,382,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
I can't believe he is 51 either. But he is very out of shape. Huge belly. The guy they used to simulate the incident doesn't even come close to his body shape.
He looks as if he could be well into his 60s or later.

Old 01-24-2020, 06:13 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,982,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
May not be as useful as she thinks. I'm not a lawyer, but I do know lawyers who go to sea - and they consider maritime law an area where you really can't assume that conventional legal wisdom transfers, at all. (I know one who wants to enter the field, and she is - no joke - looking to get her 100 ton Coast Guard Master's License - in effect, professional captain's credentials - as a step towards that. It's that much of a niche.)
I think because it was docked in a US territory, American/local law applies. The suit was filed in the district court in Miami, which I believe is where RCCL is headquartered. Things get murky when ships are out at sea in international waters.

Criminal case in PR because that’s where they were, but lawsuit filed where HQ’d (as is probably part of the contract/ticket).

But presumably you hire someone who may specialize in certain areas or have more knowledge of certain areas of law over others. A lawyer has many connections to other lawyers, including school alumni and friends, or through work, or bar associations. It’s just easy to connect with other lawyers as a lawyer and find someone to help you out with your own potential legal problems.

Last edited by JerseyGirl415; 01-24-2020 at 06:27 PM..

Old 01-24-2020, 07:20 PM

2,556 posts, read 2,283,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
The first time I watched the video, I thought it looked like he literally picked her up and threw her out the window, and said so. Since then I've watched it several more times and that is clearly not what happened. It is an easy mistake to make at first sight, though.
It kind of does look like that, in the way he hoists her over the rail. I think it's just an illusion, but it is rather startling the first time you watch it. I can see why some thing think that he just threw her, but I doubt that is truly the case. Still, he is 100% at fault, careless, foolish, stupid, call it what you want. But I doubt he meant to kill her. My opinion only, of course.

Old 01-24-2020, 09:59 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,017,382 times
Quote:
Well, yes, IMHO.

If the outside camera shows his head did NOT cross the plane of the window, and he never stuck his head through the window space, nor did he dangle the baby through the window space, that would make a difference to me.
Why does that make a difference? He was either holding her out the window or propped on the window ledge. Either way, it was an incredibly dangerous thing that he did. His actions lead to the death of a child. Why does it matter how far he stuck his head out? Either way he knew the window was open and he disregarded the safety of this little girl.

Old 01-24-2020, 10:01 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,017,382 times
Quote:
That's why I want an impartial agency to review this. It seems very simple to get at the actual truth, and present very clear depictions of what that incident would have looked like.
There's a video. There is no need for all these ridiculous "reenactment" photos. You can get a clear depiction of what it looked like by watching the video of the actual event.

Last edited by Sundaydrive00; 01-24-2020 at 11:10 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events