Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2020, 03:15 PM

37,106 posts, read 41,277,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Well of course. That’s what I said. NO ONE.
I was agreeing with you.

Old 01-28-2020, 03:27 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
The lawyer has already been making the argument that "x number of people have gone overboard from RCL ships" or words to that effect. Not sure what the parents' motivation is, but he's 100% going for RCL's pocketbook.
Thousands upon thousands of cruises have taken place by many lines. Sometimes, people fall overboard, or they jump. They can do it from their balconies outside their staterooms. Should these cruise lines board up all of the balconies? Put glass over them? It would completely destroy the entire reason so many people book staterooms with balconies.

We can't put a bubble wrap around everything based on the actions of a few.

The cruise lines (plural, not just Royal Caribbean) won't go for it, so this lawyer is going to have a hell of a fight on his hands if that's what he's going for.

Old 01-28-2020, 04:27 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,024,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
What gets me is why is the cruise line going to remodel that area all of a sudden? While the case is ongoing, I don't think they should be allowed to touch it, especially if there is a jury trial. Every juror should be allowed access to the area to see it for themselves and to try to lean over.
They're refurbishing the childrens splash pad area. It has nothing to do with this case. She didn't die in the splash pad. She didn't die in the children's area. She died because grandfather dropped her out a window on the 11th deck. RC is not going to suddenly take out the windows and enclose the pool deck. Those will stay the same. To keep pools looking nice and fresh, they need to be redone every now and then. They cannot put off retiling the children's splash pad because some idiot decided that the laws of gravity don't apply to him.

If the jury ends up on the ship, they'll still be able to lean over the railing and stick their heads out the window despite the splash pad having new tiles.

Old 01-28-2020, 04:43 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,024,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Or would there still be an outcry for them to turn on grandpa, and state that he is solely at fault and they were wrong to have trusted him with their child?
He killed their child. They should want nothing to do with him. it's disturbing that they're going to such lengths to defend the person who is soley responsible for the death of their child. They should never have trusted him, especially now that they are claiming he's this elderly man with all sorts of health problems that prevented him from properly caring for Chloe.

Old 01-28-2020, 04:49 PM

2,556 posts, read 2,285,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Thousands upon thousands of cruises have taken place by many lines. Sometimes, people fall overboard, or they jump. They can do it from their balconies outside their staterooms. Should these cruise lines board up all of the balconies? Put glass over them? It would completely destroy the entire reason so many people book staterooms with balconies.

We can't put a bubble wrap around everything based on the actions of a few.

The cruise lines (plural, not just Royal Caribbean) won't go for it, so this lawyer is going to have a hell of a fight on his hands if that's what he's going for.
So right. Who would want to take a cruise where you can't even feel the breeze? Not very appealing.

Old 01-28-2020, 04:50 PM

2,556 posts, read 2,285,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
He killed their child. They should want nothing to do with him. it's disturbing that they're going to such lengths to defend the person who is soley responsible for the death of their child. They should never have trusted him, especially now that they are claiming he's this elderly man with all sorts of health problems that prevented him from properly caring for Chloe.
Maybe it's the only way they can emotionally deal with it. It's easier and (presumably) less painful to blame a faceless corporation.

Old 01-28-2020, 05:26 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 8 days ago)

35,633 posts, read 17,975,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
And there it is.

Blaming the parents.

Old 01-28-2020, 05:32 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,073,569 times
Quote:
And there it is.

Blaming the parents.
I don't understand why you believe it wrong to assign some blame to the parents?

Old 01-28-2020, 05:32 PM

37,106 posts, read 41,277,178 times
Quote:
And there it is.

Blaming the parents.
If the grandfather is as incompetent as they are claiming, shouldn't the parents be responsible for allowing him to take care of the baby?

Old 01-28-2020, 05:41 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 8 days ago)

35,633 posts, read 17,975,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
If the grandfather is as incompetent as they are claiming, shouldn't the parents be responsible for allowing him to take care of the baby?
There was zero evidence, leading up to this incident, that the grandfather had ever made unsound decisions.

So, no, the parents shouldn't be responsible for being clairvoyant and knowing this would happen.

By all accounts, this was completely out of character.

(Leading me to question upthread the possibility that he may have the beginnings of frontal lobe dementia. Who knows.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events