Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-29-2020, 09:24 AM

3,573 posts, read 2,882,281 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
But which direction was the wind from? Was it from the opposite direction? Was the ship docked next to another ship that might have blocked the wind?

I was on a cruise last month and one of our ports was Puerto Rico. The Norwegian ship I was on, the Encore, was docked next to Royal Caribbean Adventure of the Seas. The Norwegian Encore is a brand new ship and was much bigger and much taller than the Royal Caribbean ship it was docked next to. I wondered when I was there if Chloe’s ship had been docked in the same spot as the Royal Caribbean ship next to us and if the dock I walked on was the one where Chloe fell to her death.

I could see a larger ship blocking any breeze there might have been from that direction so I don’t know if you can say the grandfather had to feel a breeze.
Of the many pictures from the scene there is nothing showing a major barrier.

Wind does not just stop when it meets a barrier, it redirects. This was an open deck 150 feet in the air, there was air movement.

Old 02-29-2020, 11:22 AM

7,743 posts, read 15,871,819 times
Luzianne, the wind factor is definitely something that has been glossed over. Especially by Winkleman, the family's lawyer. It just doesn't really make any sense, especially when in that interview the GF did, he talks about leaning over to tap the glass himself and not hitting it (therefore "assuming" the glass was much further away). In this link: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...articleRelated it does show a pic of another ship, but it's "parked" behind the Freedom. It doesn't appear there's really anything that could block wind.

Old 02-29-2020, 11:27 AM

46,961 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
I wish it was possible for the cruise line to sue the old guy for tarnishing their reputation. He is a step GF and not blood which makes it weirder that they are protecting him. I would be furious even if it was my own father.
They're not protecting him, as I see it. He's a central figure in the parents' scheme - be it guilt displacement or cash grab - but I suspect he would have much preferred to take the plea deal, slip into anonymity and deal with the grief. It's their actions that keep him front and center.

Old 02-29-2020, 12:02 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 8 days ago)

35,633 posts, read 17,968,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
They're not protecting him, as I see it. He's a central figure in the parents' scheme - be it guilt displacement or cash grab - but I suspect he would have much preferred to take the plea deal, slip into anonymity and deal with the grief. It's their actions that keep him front and center.
I respect that you say "as I see it" and "but I suspect".

Not being snarky. It's refreshing to have statements of opinion formed as such, and not as truths.

Old 02-29-2020, 12:10 PM

7,117 posts, read 4,536,107 times
Dane, that’s a interesting perspective. If it’s true then it’s good to keep the GF in the spotlight if it’s causing him more suffering. He got away with negligent homicide.

Old 02-29-2020, 12:24 PM

7,117 posts, read 4,536,107 times
Clara, I am very empathetic and spent my career in human services. This was not a accident in the typical sense. Then I would feel sorry for him. I was literally sick watching the video and see what he does. I advised my friends not to watch it. I will never get the images out of my mind.

Old 02-29-2020, 02:59 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,258,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sockeye66 View Post
Of the many pictures from the scene there is nothing showing a major barrier.

Wind does not just stop when it meets a barrier, it redirects. This was an open deck 150 feet in the air, there was air movement.
It would redirect, but if there's another ship right next to it, it's going to redirect up or around, not between the two ships. When I was docked in Puerto Rico, the ship next to us was literally right next to us, and the dock was just a walkway between the two ships.

But it was an open deck, then you wouldn't necessarily notice breeze through a window. There would be breeze all around.

Last edited by luzianne; 02-29-2020 at 03:14 PM..

Old 02-29-2020, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
Clara, I am very empathetic and spent my career in human services. This was not a accident in the typical sense. Then I would feel sorry for him. I was literally sick watching the video and see what he does. I advised my friends not to watch it. I will never get the images out of my mind.
I have searched for a video from a different angle, from behind, and I can't find it. I'd like to see what you are talking about.

Old 02-29-2020, 03:20 PM

3,573 posts, read 2,882,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
It would redirect, but if there's another ship right next to it, it's going to redirect up or around, not between the two ships. When I was docked in Puerto Rico, the ship next to us was literally right next to us, and the dock was just a walkway between the two ships.

But it was an open deck, then you wouldn't necessarily notice breeze through a window. There would be breeze all around.
Wind moves the path of least resistance just like water. There may be wind all around but that wind would be flowing even stronger through that window.

Old 02-29-2020, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sockeye66 View Post
Wind moves the path of least resistance just like water. There may be wind all around but that wind would be flowing even stronger through that window.
I disagree. If it's an open air deck, he may or may not have felt air moving through the window. Who knows which direction the wind was coming from. It makes no sense to speculate that it was windy at that particularly moment in time and that the grandfather had to have felt the breeze. We weren't there, so none of us know. If I have windows open in my house but no roof on the house (open air deck), I'm not going to really notice air coming through the windows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events