Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2019, 02:53 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 1 day ago)

35,583 posts, read 17,927,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sockeye66 View Post
How many windows, closed or not, 100+ feet off the ground have you or anyone you know leaned into wanting to pound on?
I'm not sure how that's relevant, whether I personally know any toddlers who love to pound on windows.

I sincerely doubt this little bitty kid could possibly do any damage with her open hands, if that's your concern, slapping on the window, as she was doing in the hockey picture.

(Although I will say, someone's going to have to come clean the window when she's done).

Old 07-12-2019, 03:07 PM

8,494 posts, read 3,335,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
The accident happened 4:15-4:30 in the afternoon. The sun set on Sunday at 7:05 PM.

Family’s attorney says grandpa placed her on the ledge and let go of her. He is claiming negligence on the part of the cruise line for having windows that open.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2HKpZGem1J4
That clarifies he put on the railing to stand, not sit. There probably wasn't enough room to fit her legs around the railing - with an open or closed window.

He had to have thought the window closed - that or it was murder. There still would have been forward motion causing her to fall outwards. This happened in a second.

Maybe because of that afternoon - we were one of the few on deck, sitting in one of the jacuzzis built out over the ship edge with spray from the waves reaching 11 stories up with DD and I periodically walking to the adult pool that was rocking with waves - I can still see that area so clearly.

There's no covering over the pool making the area by the windows that's roofed in feel dim by contrast. The wall normally is lined with loungers and tables, placed closely together. Someone carrying a toddler would have reduced peripheral vision and very possibly be looking downward to avoid tripping on the multiple legs as he approached the wall. And then she would have blocked his view once he cleared the furniture as he raised her towards the rail.

This is not a good vision and one the family must be replaying over and over and over. A place that led to a very special memory for our family is nothing but tragedy for someone else.

15,546 posts, read 12,009,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
If the window were closed, as the grandfather believed it was, the risk is exactly the same as in the zoo or aquarium.
Please don't let your kids bang on the glass at zoos and aquariums. It scares the animals. I doubt you would want random people coming up to your house and banging on your windows.

I don't even know why banging on windows keeps being brought up. You can't bang on an open window (and there was no way to not know the window was open). The family is just making up excuses to try and blame RC for something that was in no way the cruise line's fault.

4,288 posts, read 2,057,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I don’t think we are “defending” the granddad as much as saying he wasn’t doing anything g different than millions of other grandparents do, indulging a little girl he loved and he made a mistake in judgement resulting in tragedy. I don’t think it’s that out of the norm what he did.
Every one is so sure they could never make such a mistake. I hope they never have to find out they are wrong.

Quote:
It’s like when you reach around for something while you’re driving, most have done it many times without incident. So you think nothing will happen. The one time in 1000 it results in an accident of course you’re responsible but it doesn’t make you stupid or incompetent. This man doesn’t need to be defended to me, he is human and made a very human error in judgement that he will suffer for the rest of his life.
When my kids were little many times I reached for something to give them while driving. I believe I always kept my eye and most of my mind on the road while I was doing it but I would bet in hindsight there were a few minor lapses that never caused a problem.
Recently an acquaintance of ours reached in the car to get something for his child and a young women in the car in front of him died because of this lapse in judgement.

Old 07-12-2019, 03:08 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 1 day ago)

35,583 posts, read 17,927,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Please don't let your kids bang on the glass at zoos and aquariums. It scares the animals. I doubt you would want random people coming up to your house and banging on your windows.

I don't even know why banging on windows keeps being brought up. You can't bang on an open window (and there was no way to not know the window was open). The family is just making up excuses to try and blame RC for something that was in no way the cruise line's fault.
I don't do that, and that's not why they're placed on the hand rails. You're not allowed to bang on glass at an aquarium anyway, and certainly an employee would stop you.

They're stood on the handrails because they can't see the animals otherwise.

Old 07-12-2019, 03:38 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,009,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore1954 View Post
Every one is so sure they could never make such a mistake. I hope they never have to find out they are wrong.
I can guarantee you I would never, and will never, put a child on a railing to stand. Especially not when there is an 11 story drop on the other side on the railing.

I don't care if it makes me sanctimonious, I would put a child in such a dangerous situation.

Old 07-12-2019, 04:20 PM

2,020 posts, read 1,122,240 times
Quote:
I can guarantee you I would never, and will never, put a child on a railing to stand. Especially not when there is an 11 story drop on the other side on the railing.

I don't care if it makes me sanctimonious, I would put a child in such a dangerous situation.
The attorney said Grandpa put the baby on the railing and let go of her. The attorney should just shut his mouth. He is not helping the grandfather's case. Who puts a baby on a railing around glass and does not hold on tightly? I feel so bad for that baby.

Old 07-12-2019, 04:27 PM

14,299 posts, read 11,677,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaGWS View Post
The attorney said Grandpa put the baby on the railing and let go of her. The attorney should just shut his mouth. He is not helping the grandfather's case. Who puts a baby on a railing around glass and does not hold on tightly? I feel so bad for that baby.
Indeed, if that's true, that is damning for Grandpa. Who sets a baby on a narrow, convex, four-foot-high hand railing anywhere and lets go? Of course the baby will fall off. It's tragic that this baby was in front of an open window 11 stories high, but even if she had just hit the ground four feet down, she may have been badly injured.

Old 07-12-2019, 05:14 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,976,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sockeye66 View Post
I'm following this thread and find the contrasting posts fascinating.
This was a horrible incident, a beautiful, loving, curious and active child lost her life. I can't imagine the sorrowful depth of how the family must feel, It's impossible (for me) to even phrase the emotional and mental condition of grandfather.

I can understand hiring the lawyer as a spokesperson since the family is in no condition to talk. My best guess he's putting so much blame on the cruise line is to protect the grandfather. Honestly, I can see in any way, shape or form of any lawsuit being successful.
This was human error pure and simple. No one deserved this. The responsibility is 100% the families and they unfortunately have to live with that.
This is probably true. But they look foolish blaming the cruise line imo. They’re better off saying nothing at all publicly. They are under no obligation to try to explain what happened to the public. The grandpa apparently had a criminal defense attorney in PR so this other lawyer really is just a spokesperson trying to blame RCCL. It’s making me less sympathetic of them, personally, that they’re trying to spin this, and did so so quickly. They were better off shutting up entirely and only dealing with local authorities in PR however they chose to.

Quote:

Me too. But I tend to be a cautious person in general. I overthink things, am pretty aware of potential dangers especially in a situation as obvious as that one. I’ve been on 2 RCCL cruises and barely let myself get too close to any railings, I would not place a baby or child on a railing. Even if I thought there was a closed window there. I find that too risky.

Old 07-12-2019, 05:34 PM

3,573 posts, read 2,878,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
This is probably true. But they look foolish blaming the cruise line imo. They’re better off saying nothing at all publicly. They are under no obligation to try to explain what happened to the public. The grandpa apparently had a criminal defense attorney in PR so this other lawyer really is just a spokesperson trying to blame RCCL. It’s making me less sympathetic of them, personally, that they’re trying to spin this, and did so so quickly. They were better off shutting up entirely and only dealing with local authorities in PR however they chose to.
I agree with you. The spokes-lawyer lost me when claiming it was a "child play area" and fully expecting we can relate to placing her on the rail (11 stories up!) so she can pound on a glass window.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events