Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2019, 09:14 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,247,100 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
I know what you mean. I'm picturing it from all of their perspectives, including the little girl, of course. I'm only hoping it happened so fast that she didn't have time to realize what was happening. It's over for her, so sadly, but like so many have stated, this will be with the rest of the family forever. It's so awful, I can't even comprehend how they're going to deal with it.

That's killing me, too. I just don't have the heart to come down on the grandfather. My God, I can't even imagine living with this.
I feel super anxiety for him. I just simply couldn't live with it. I'm sure they have medicated him. I'd have to be put out.

Old 07-14-2019, 09:29 PM

5,576 posts, read 6,504,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazerj View Post
Who cares what the Police Chief in Indiana says about a cruise death in Puerto Rico? Why doesn’t he trust the Puerto Rican Police?
I don't think it is a matter of "trusting" the Puerto Rican Police. I think he talked directly with the father of the child and was told such by him. PR Police had no clue what happened for awhile, the father would have heard about it from the grandfather right away.

Old 07-14-2019, 09:31 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,438,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
I feel super anxiety for him. I just simply couldn't live with it. I'm sure they have medicated him. I'd have to be put out.
It was interesting to me to note that his wife is not the bio grandmother to the child that died.

Not to say she is not also grief stricken, but probably not to the same level as the bio-family members. The bond is just not the same.

Hopefully, she will be able to buoy him somewhat.

The parents I hope will be able to go on because they need to be there for their other children.

In normal times, a father would need to be there for his daughter going through this. How the grandfather can do this when he is the cause of the child dying even if unintentionally, I don't know. But, maybe they have enough currency in their past relationship that he will be able to do this. I hope so for both of them.

Old 07-14-2019, 10:26 PM

1,458 posts, read 1,169,560 times
This is the most horrible story I have ever read. We may never know exactly what happened, what the grandfather was thinking, in that short moment this tragedy happened. Kids are unpredictable and we must be their eyes and ears and thinking.

I'm a grandmother and have had instances of being bone tired from holding a squirming or misbehaving grandchild. And things can happen so quickly. Still, we'll probably never really know. Not sure I'd be suing the cruise ship though.

Reminds me of a dear friend who's granddaughter, a young teenager, did a handstand on a balcony railing and flipped over the edge. A stupid choice. She died from that choice. And she was old enough to know better.

Old 07-15-2019, 04:56 AM

50,748 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaGWS View Post
Of course they are going to sue. The father was up on deck taking photos after the accident.
That doesn’t mean it’s for a lawsuit. It might have been for his father in laws defense if he gets charged. Dad is a cop, what they do on a crime scene might not be what we would think to do.

Old 07-15-2019, 09:41 AM

13,388 posts, read 6,438,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
That doesn’t mean it’s for a lawsuit. It might have been for his father in laws defense if he gets charged. Dad is a cop, what they do on a crime scene might not be what we would think to do.
Agreed. And, the mother is an attorney. No matter how she feels towards her Dad right now, I doubt she wants him to be prosecuted for criminal charges.

Old 07-15-2019, 12:59 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,254,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
I agree with the bolded. He wasn't worried about her falling forward because he thought the window was closed. He wasn't worried about her falling back because he thought his body would brace her if she did.

As someone who ran through a glass door as a child, I don't have any trouble believing someone can make a mistake about a window being open or closed.

The reality is we are all subject to making erroneous decisions that can turn out very badly.
I agree that the grandfather thought there was a window there and is torturing himself over what happened. I’d never be able to forgive myself.

But I’m surprised that the family was so quick to hire an attorney and file a lawsuit against the cruise line. It’s not the cruise line’s fault. It’s not the grandfather’s fault. It was a horrible accident.

Old 07-15-2019, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
I agree that the grandfather thought there was a window there and is torturing himself over what happened. I’d never be able to forgive myself.

But I’m surprised that the family was so quick to hire an attorney and file a lawsuit against the cruise line. It’s not the cruise line’s fault. It’s not the grandfather’s fault. It was a horrible accident.
They haven’t filed the lawsuit yet. The lawyer they hired was a criminal defense lawyer for the grandfather, and to be a spokesperson for the family so far. They needed an attorney because he was being questioned by the police in Puerto Rico.

Old 07-15-2019, 01:12 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,017,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
They haven’t filed the lawsuit yet. The lawyer they hired was a criminal defense lawyer for the grandfather, and to be a spokesperson for the family so far. They needed an attorney because he was being questioned by the police in Puerto Rico.
They've hired 2 different lawyers. The one that is their spokesperson is not the criminal defense attorney.

Old 07-15-2019, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
They've hired 2 different lawyers. The one that is their spokesperson is not the criminal defense attorney.
Regardless both were needed immediately. I do not think a lawsuit was foremost in their mind at the time they hired them, in fact I would bet that someone else in the family arranged them for the family, or the moms law firm did as they were not in condition to handle things like that themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events