Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2019, 06:37 PM

19,803 posts, read 9,362,001 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Folks, it's not cute or funny to do this 'dangling over the precipice of death' act with a child. Just don't.
THAT (the above) is what people should take away from this tragedy.

A very long time ago when I was a girl, my family was with a couple of my parents' friends who had ab infant -- probably less than four months old, if memory serves. We all went to the Redondo Beach, CA pier, and the very young dad held the baby OVER the water which was probably at least ten feet deep, minimum. My mom had a fit -- read the guy the riot act. He shrugged it off by saying he had a firm grip, and nothing bad happened, but really -- why would anyone take a risk like that?!

But, yes, I do agree with everyone who said that the grandfather will live with the guilt and the baby's family will live with the effects of that tragedy for the rest of their lives.

Old 07-08-2019, 06:59 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,431,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
THAT (the above) is what people should take away from this tragedy.

A very long time ago when I was a girl, my family was with a couple of my parents' friends who had ab infant -- probably less than four months old, if memory serves. We all went to the Redondo Beach, CA pier, and the very young dad held the baby OVER the water which was probably at least ten feet deep, minimum. My mom had a fit -- read the guy the riot act. He shrugged it off by saying he had a firm grip, and nothing bad happened, but really -- why would anyone take a risk like that?!

But, yes, I do agree with everyone who said that the grandfather will live with the guilt and the baby's family will live with the effects of that tragedy for the rest of their lives.
Sounds like this may have been before the pier burned down. If so, it has been completely rebuilt.

My dad used to do stunts with us when we were small children, but within reason. He would balance and lift us up in the air on the palm of one hand, toss us up and catch us, that sort of thing. But never in a place where a slip or misstep would have caused certain death or maiming.

So I'm reading that the grandfather just set the girl in the window, didn't dangle her over it...still not a prudent choice. I'm sure no one believes he meant to harm a hair on her head, but an open window on deck 10 or 11 of a cruise ship? Not my idea of a prudent place to set my child.

Old 07-08-2019, 07:14 PM

13,248 posts, read 7,312,118 times
I have seen people do the same thing with their kids at the Grand Canyon hold their kids by the waist and have them stand on the railing. Should the cruse ship make the windows so they can't open people should know better.

Another question has to be answered is was the grandfather drinking cruise ships are known for alcohol, and always bars right at the ports. If he was drinking my guess he face manslaughter charge.

Old 07-08-2019, 07:51 PM

9,511 posts, read 6,103,034 times
So I guess we don’t know if he was ‘dangling’ the baby or not? What a strange detail to get mixed up. I wonder if he tried to catch her but lost his grip?

That would appear to an onlooker, maybe; as if the baby were being ‘dangled’.

Old 07-08-2019, 08:06 PM

19,803 posts, read 9,362,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Sounds like this may have been before the pier burned down. If so, it has been completely rebuilt.
Yes, this (our visit to the Redondo Beach pier) was about 1965 or so.

Old 07-08-2019, 08:46 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,570,918 times
This family will forever be horribly impacted by this. I imagine that grandfather is beyond devastated.

I can't believe some of the awful comments here. I hope none of you have to experience horrible accidents or family tragedies.

Old 07-08-2019, 09:31 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

35,629 posts, read 17,968,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
How is that a relief? Either way the little girl died because of her grandfather's carelessness.
Well, speaking only for myself, that would be a relief. 1 year olds do that, and absolutely no one else is to blame for it. You're holding them, carefully, and then, suddenly and with zero warning, they fling themselves backwards out of your arms.

It doesn't make the death of the child less sad; but it makes the grandparent much less culpable.

No one could blame the grandparent in that instance, and the grandparent would be less likely to blame himself entirely.

Old 07-08-2019, 09:33 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotteborn View Post
This family will forever be horribly impacted by this. I imagine that grandfather is beyond devastated.

I can't believe some of the awful comments here. I hope none of you have to experience horrible accidents or family tragedies.
Yes. For this family, the timeline is bisected.

Before, and after this little one's tragic death. So very sad.

Old 07-08-2019, 09:34 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,022,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Well, speaking only for myself, that would be a relief. 1 year olds do that, and absolutely no one else is to blame for it. You're holding them, carefully, and then, suddenly and with zero warning, they fling themselves backwards.

It doesn't make the death of the child less sad; but it makes the grandparent much less culpable.
If you're holding them carefully, no a child does not just fall 11 stories to their death.

Old 07-08-2019, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
If you're holding them carefully, no a child does not just fall 11 stories to their death.
We don't know what the whole story is; however, yes, a one year old can fling themselves backward unexpectedly out of nowhere.

My one year old son got a concussion in the church nursery; and I'm very sure the adult volunteer, who was a nurse, was carrying him carefully. He did that backwards flinging thing for some reason.

Maybe we shouldn't judge, until all the information is out?

This isn't a 2 month old, where I would absolutely agree with you. This is a mobile kid who can struggle away. FAST.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events