Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2019, 12:07 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,022,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
That was very hard to watch without crying. Awful, awful story.

So. What is the standard of safety? It seems to me, windows aren't typically open in high rise buildings. I know sometimes you can go to a penthouse on top of a building, and there is an open air railing, but it's not a WINDOW that's open.

And yes, actually, this is a child's play area although obviously adults are there too.
This was on the pool deck. So in your penthouse example, it would be like the open-air railing, except they also have windows in front of that railing. But it's not like they're floor to ceiling windows that open, the windows that open are at the railing's height. Windows inside the ship do not open. The windows inside the spa or buffet area on that same floor do not open. It is just the windows on the pool deck that open, because people want to enjoy the ocean breeze while they're lounging by the pool.

Old 07-22-2019, 12:23 PM

35,072 posts, read 31,302,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
It’s definitely not the cruise lines fault. I have been on those ships. Focusing on RC is letting them focus their grief elsewhere and will hold the family together for awhile until they have to hear what the opposing counsel has to say. They are hurting themselves more in the long run with this ridiculous lawsuit.
Agreed.

Bad things happen. Sometimes someone/some company is at fault. Many times no one is at fault. This suit may have merit - I don't know - but the first thing a lot of people want to do in times of tragedy is sue.

Old 07-22-2019, 12:45 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,249,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOldPuss View Post
No, I would NOT pay them a single cent to go away. In fact, if the family does file a complaint, they risk that Royal Caribbean will demand that their attorney's fees be paid by the family, which, although it may seem heartless, RC may elect to do.
YOU might not but PR and legal teams may...

Even if they go to court, no way will RC demand attorneys fees. Believe me, I get it but I highly doubt it would occur.

Old 07-22-2019, 01:19 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

35,629 posts, read 17,961,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
But there's nothing to settle for; no fault of their own. If they settle, it could set a precedent. That would be a bad idea. We'll have to wait and see how this plays out.
I think that precedent has been set decades ago. No company wants to get up in front of a jury and have them see photos of the little girl on the pavement, and the shrieking parents and grandpa.

It's about managing the risk, for their company, or paying out an enormous settlement because of an empathetic (and traumatized, frankly) jury.

Old 07-22-2019, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
But there's nothing to settle for; no fault of their own. If they settle, it could set a precedent. That would be a bad idea. We'll have to wait and see how this plays out.
Quote:
I think that precedent has been set decades ago. No company wants to get up in front of a jury and have them see photos of the little girl on the pavement, and the shrieking parents and grandpa.

It's about managing the risk, for their company, or paying out an enormous settlement because of an empathetic (and traumatized, frankly) jury.
This. Settle just to make it all go away & fast. Corporations have been doing this since lawsuits became a "thing"...precedents have long since left the barn.

Old 07-22-2019, 03:21 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,440,773 times
Quote:

This.

And, mom is an attorney so she likely knows all this as well as the risks in suing the cruise line.

Old 07-22-2019, 04:22 PM

153 posts, read 138,218 times
"She was his best friend."
Kind of an odd way to describe the relationship between the (step)grandfather and an 18- month old.

Old 07-22-2019, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StayingAfterSunday View Post
"She was his best friend."
Kind of an odd way to describe the relationship between the (step)grandfather and an 18- month old.
I don't think it's "odd" per se...their pics together show them going places, her brothers hockey games etc.

When my son was a toddler, he called my dad his best friend.

Old 07-22-2019, 05:47 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcandme View Post

I will never understand why people who suffer through a tragedy like this, go on talk shows. I would not want to be in the public eye, for all the negative comments that are made about my family.
They usually get paid, and there is sometimes a desire to "set the story straight."

Old 07-22-2019, 07:16 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

35,629 posts, read 17,961,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcandme View Post
I will never understand why people who suffer through a tragedy like this, go on talk shows. I would not want to be in the public eye, for all the negative comments that are made about my family.....Are they looking for a pay out? It seems it was Grampa`s fault....
In my experience, people who lose a child want their death to mean something - as in, another child doesn't die this way. No one wants to lose a child and have no changes whatsoever.

Hence the Amber alert. And the Levi's call. And changes that have been made in cribs and playground equipment based on deaths/injuries to kids. Parents want their children's death to mean something.

My guess is, there will be something done here to cruise ship windows based on this. Maybe it will only take the form of telling new passengers what an open window looks like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events