Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2019, 09:44 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,977,958 times

Advertisements

Sitting a baby, or any child - or even an adult - on the edge of a (presumably open) window 11 floors up isn't the brightest idea. Whether over water or concrete, it won't end well for a baby. One stupid, quick mistake can lead to such tragedy.

I mean if the window was open already, why would he even think to do that? Maybe it was closed and the weight of her body against it pushed it open? Are and should the windows be that easy to open, then? It's odd. Seeing pictures from inside would help, or experience from anyone who's been on that ship would be nice to hear. It says they're trying to determine who opened the window and when it was opened, so it sounds like the window was already open.

I feel bad for the grandpa because he obviously didn't want or expect this and it sucks that he has to live with this now but at the same time, he did a dumb thing. Assuming of course that he did sit her at the edge as the story in the OP currently reports. That may change.

Old 07-08-2019, 10:27 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,011,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Maybe we shouldn't judge, until all the information is out?

Quote:
Unforgivable. Apparently Grandpa was dangling her out an 11th story window.

How ghastly.

Old 07-08-2019, 10:36 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,696,773 times
Quote:
Well, speaking only for myself, that would be a relief. 1 year olds do that, and absolutely no one else is to blame for it. You're holding them, carefully, and then, suddenly and with zero warning, they fling themselves backwards out of your arms.

It doesn't make the death of the child less sad; but it makes the grandparent much less culpable.

No one could blame the grandparent in that instance, and the grandparent would be less likely to blame himself entirely.
BS as usual. If you're "holding them carefully," they don't backflip out of your arms. Adults are stronger than one-year olds. SMH. Sorry I even opened this thread.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 07-08-2019 at 11:45 PM..

Old 07-08-2019, 10:39 PM

9,512 posts, read 6,095,465 times
Quote:
Well, speaking only for myself, that would be a relief. 1 year olds do that, and absolutely no one else is to blame for it. You're holding them, carefully, and then, suddenly and with zero warning, they fling themselves backwards out of your arms.
This is why it drives me crazy when guys put toddlers on their shoulders & then don’t hold on! I find myself wanting to lurk behind them in case the child bucks themselves backwards. It’s like a reflex in babies, like a shiver, or sneezing when the sun hits their face.

Old 07-08-2019, 11:15 PM

44,621 posts, read 61,584,987 times
People saying the girl fell out the window have to be mistaken as on that floor as well as others there are no windows, they have sliding glass doors that open to a small balcony with a waist high railing.
On the 11th floor near the front/bow of the ship should be some security cameras showing that area of the ship. In a few days we should have more accurate details.

Old 07-08-2019, 11:37 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,011,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
People saying the girl fell out the window have to be mistaken as on that floor as well as others there are no windows, they have sliding glass doors that open to a small balcony with a waist high railing.
On the 11th floor near the front/bow of the ship should be some security cameras showing that area of the ship. In a few days we should have more accurate details.
I would consider them windows, but I don't think it matters all that much if you consider it a sliding window or sliding door. There is a waist high railing, so its not like the girl was on the ground and fell, she fell over the railing.

Old 07-09-2019, 01:44 AM

32,923 posts, read 36,323,847 times
Quote:
We don't know what the whole story is; however, yes, a one year old can fling themselves backward unexpectedly out of nowhere.

My one year old son got a concussion in the church nursery; and I'm very sure the adult volunteer, who was a nurse, was carrying him carefully. He did that backwards flinging thing for some reason.

Maybe we shouldn't judge, until all the information is out?

This isn't a 2 month old, where I would absolutely agree with you. This is a mobile kid who can struggle away. FAST.
Holding them carefully. Right. I've caught a couple of back flips. My husband missed one. Concrete driveway.

Now, when my son does something stupid, I get to remind him that he was dropped on his head when he was a baby.

Old 07-09-2019, 03:04 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,491,150 times
Waiting to hear more on this. It's been decades since I've been on a cruise, and well before they started building these gigantic city-sized ships. The ships I've been on (a zillion years ago), any open air space (decks, doors, windows) there were railings. Of course I've read the stories about people falling off of ships, usually inebriated and went over the railings while acting foolishly. Honest question, do these newer ships have opened windows flush with the side of the ship (no railings)? If so that seems crazy to me.

Old 07-09-2019, 03:50 AM

2,163 posts, read 1,549,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Boring View Post
Remember this creep?
This moment of complete idiocy has ALWAYS disturbed me. Look at how...precariously (for lack of a less-nerdy word) he's holding that child.

Old 07-09-2019, 09:18 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,806,193 times
Seems they are crafting a story to make the company liable. Sorry, even if the story is true, putting the kid to sit on a railing is a big "no".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events