Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2019, 12:14 PM

7,090 posts, read 4,521,984 times

Advertisements

I totally agree with Dubbie.

Old 11-03-2019, 12:15 PM

15,417 posts, read 9,065,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
What? I don't know about you but no, my toddlers were never placed alone on an exam table unless they were lying down, and me standing beside the table. If they were sitting someone had a firm grasp on them and often they were in my lap at that age.Older kids, sure, under two or three, nope.
It seems to me he violated, not one, but two basic common sense rules. 1. Putting a baby on anything that doesn't have safety railings, without keeping a hand on them. 2. Putting a baby near an unlocked, unsecured window, or for that matter even near any window. This should have been a double red flag to him.

Quote:
Furniture
Infants are more likely to fall from furniture. Babies who are left unsupervised on top of beds, changing tables, and even couches, can roll off. Make sure to:

Never leave babies alone on any furniture. This includes beds, tables, sofas, cribs with the guardrails down, or changing tables.

Choose baby products that meet safety standards.

Use all safety straps and features.

Look for safety features on high chairs, cribs, and other equipment.

Install padding on sharp corners.

Windows
Young children are curious and will explore an open window. Windows that are open just 5 inches pose a danger to children. Falls from windows tend to be the most severe. In some cases, these falls can cause death. A closed window can also be dangerous if the child can get near it. Falling through glass can cause serious and often fatal injury. To prevent falls from windows:

Install window guards on all windows above the first floor.

If you must open windows, make sure your child can't reach the open window.

Set rules with your child about playing near windows.

Remove furniture near windows that children can climb on.

Don’t rely on insect screens to keep children from falling out of windows.
Preventing Falls - Health Encyclopedia - University of Rochester Medical Center

Last edited by Cloudy Dayz; 11-03-2019 at 12:49 PM..

Old 11-03-2019, 01:56 PM

2,020 posts, read 1,123,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Pediatrician's exam tables are about the height that railing was; and no one seriously considers that it's dangerous to sit an 18 month old on the edge of a pediatrician's exam table. Even though the floor is surely hard and not carpeted.

Had the window been closed, and she fell from where she was seated on the railing, she'd have been fine.

Otherwise, pediatricians wouldn't place children in that position.
No, she would have fallen between the gap of the window and railing. She would probably have some sort of injury as the rail would have limited her movement causing her to fall into the glass.

My toddler was never left unattended on an exam table. Toddlers have unpredictable behavior and are prone to unexpected movements.

Old 11-03-2019, 07:17 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,015,822 times
Quote:
I guess it depends on the child.

At 18 months, all three of my kids were well able to sit on the edge of the table and not jump or fall off. During times when the doc was not directly interacting with my children (like, washing her hands or making notes) I might be standing nearby.

But none of them ever fell off the table at that age, nor did anyone hold them in place at that age. Six month olds are a completely different story, and yes, you had to hold them so they wouldn't roll off.

*shrugs* maybe other children have less balance or might be unpredictable enough to purposely jump.
Even if doctors were allowing little children to be left on the exam tables unattended, it's much easier to sit on a large exam table (as it's meant to be sat on) then it is to balance on a 4-5 inch curved handrail.

It doesn't matter if children her age are able to sit in chairs, on beds, exam tables, etc... Without calling, as those are all things meant for sitting. She was placed on a narrow, curved handrail, which certainly is not meant for sitting. Even if she could keep her balance on other surfaces, it doesn't mean she was able to sit on a handrail without falling.

Old 11-04-2019, 05:23 AM

23,865 posts, read 33,545,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgato View Post
True. I guess I am used to seeing them in strollers and those circular walkers, probably not because they can't get around, but the parents/minders are putting them there (in the strollers, circular walkers) so they don't get into trouble. A little while ago, I saw like four year old twins maybe even five year olds on a train, and I know they could get around but the dad probably put them there so they probably don't get out of hand.
My grandson was in a stroller or even the shopping cart until he was 4 so that he didn't get into any trouble walking on his own. I don't take his sister (2 1/2) out shopping like I did my grandson but my daughter has a stroller for her too.

Quote:
I guess it depends on the child.

At 18 months, all three of my kids were well able to sit on the edge of the table and not jump or fall off. During times when the doc was not directly interacting with my children (like, washing her hands or making notes) I might be standing nearby.

But none of them ever fell off the table at that age, nor did anyone hold them in place at that age. Six month olds are a completely different story, and yes, you had to hold them so they wouldn't roll off.

*shrugs* maybe other children have less balance or might be unpredictable enough to purposely jump.
Same here with my kids and grand kids at that age. They could sit on the exam table without me having to hold them. I was standing next to the table in case some freak thing happened but it never did. The grand kids sit on the island while we prep food since they were 1 or so,

Heck, my daughter was riding a bicycle with training wheels at 1 1/2, the training wheels came off when she was 2. She had really good balance.

Old 11-04-2019, 06:33 AM

3,573 posts, read 2,880,038 times
Quote:
Pediatrician's exam tables are about the height that railing was; and no one seriously considers that it's dangerous to sit an 18 month old on the edge of a pediatrician's exam table. Even though the floor is surely hard and not carpeted.

Had the window been closed, and she fell from where she was seated on the railing, she'd have been fine.

Otherwise, pediatricians wouldn't place children in that position.
Clara, sitting or laying on an exam table (as intended) is not the same as sitting or standing (not intended) on a narrow hand rail.

Old 11-04-2019, 01:29 PM

15,417 posts, read 9,065,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sockeye66 View Post
Clara, sitting or laying on an exam table (as intended) is not the same as sitting or standing (not intended) on a narrow hand rail.
I don't think it matters. Some here seem to be going through any lengths to try and justify the extreme recklessness of this man. I just hope their opinions are not shared by the jury.

Old 11-04-2019, 05:07 PM

3,573 posts, read 2,880,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
I don't think it matters. Some here seem to be going through any lengths to try and justify the extreme recklessness of this man. I just hope their opinions are not shared by the jury.
We all can agree that this was a tragic, horrific incident and feel empathy for all involved, including Grandpa.

I can't accept that a reasonable adult would place a toddler on a hand rail, in front of an open window, with a 100+ foot drop below.

Old 11-04-2019, 05:32 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 5 days ago)

35,620 posts, read 17,948,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sockeye66 View Post
We all can agree that this was a tragic, horrific incident and feel empathy for all involved, including Grandpa.

I can't accept that a reasonable adult would place a toddler on a hand rail, in front of an open window, with a 100+ foot drop below.
I think few could imagine what you're suggesting.

That's why many of us think he didn't notice the window was open.

To think otherwise, doesn't make a particle of sense. I can't accept it either. No one in their right mind, who noticed the window was open, would balance that beloved child in front of it like that and allow her to lean forward. No one.

Old 11-04-2019, 08:41 PM

8,495 posts, read 4,160,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
My grandson was in a stroller or even the shopping cart until he was 4 so that he didn't get into any trouble walking on his own. I don't take his sister (2 1/2) out shopping like I did my grandson but my daughter has a stroller for her too.

Same here with my kids and grand kids at that age. They could sit on the exam table without me having to hold them. I was standing next to the table in case some freak thing happened but it never did. The grand kids sit on the island while we prep food since they were 1 or so,

Heck, my daughter was riding a bicycle with training wheels at 1 1/2, the training wheels came off when she was 2. She had really good balance.
Yes, I mainly see the strollers, walkers, shopping cart seats as a means of keeping control. The world is an exciting place for toddlers, the things we take for granted are marvels for them. I have seen little kids just running and darting away as soon as they get the chance. The one thing I feel kind of awful about but totally understand the necessity for it, is seeing little kids with the ties, it's like a harness and the parent or minder is holding the tie/leash. It looks terrible but some kids are very adventurous and they run (some of them quite fast!) and I can see how the leash keeps them safe in crowded busy places. Getting lost is terrifying both for the parent and child.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events