Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2019, 01:41 AM

3,154 posts, read 2,067,215 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Yes, people have different taste in clothing. Just because you would not wear a strapless romper, does not make it indecent.

I could wear a sundress that went down to my knees, and it too would become indecent pretty quickly if I started bending over. There was nothing to indicate in the article that her top was falling down, so that shouldn't be an issue. Airlines shouldn't police people's outfits based on the "what ifs".
The two selfies she took in the bathroom looked fine, but that may not have been the case on the plane, her booblies could have been exposed at one point, which got someone's attention. Since none of us were there, and I'm not too quick to take the Good Doctor's word for it, I guess we'll never know. But common sense dictates that people should wear something that does not present an easy opportunity for a Wardrobe Malfunction in a crowded venue. If anything, she was targeted for being a "person of size", not a "person of color". It would be very interesting to hear from her fellow passengers on that flight to get the real story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2019, 05:22 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,259,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Of course, she claims she was "policed" because of her race. AA reached out to her and her "team," apologized, and offered a full refund She doesn't think that's enough.

It doesn't appear that other passengers complained, nor should they have. Whose business is it how someone else dresses?

As for being humiliated, be sure to scroll down for her video on the USA Today post.

https://radio951.iheart.com/content/...or-her-outfit/
Not sure what the problem is here -- I've seen worse.....

Old 07-11-2019, 06:55 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 5 days ago)

35,620 posts, read 17,953,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
The outfit looked like she was traveling from one beach destination to another.
I wouldn't wear it, but if it makes her feel good, it's fine.

There are too many judgmental people just dying to punish others for their choices. Lighten up and mind your own business.
Well, ironically, this is exactly what American Airlines was doing, in asking her to cover up. "Minding their business". That is, taking care of their company's best interests. Which is exactly what "mind your business" means. There are two sides of that coin. It doesn't ONLY mean ignore other people, it also means spend your time not worrying about other people's interests, but rather, focus on your own interests. Which is exactly what the two employees were doing.

It's in their best interest to set a standard for dress. That elevates their business.

Old 07-11-2019, 07:20 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,022,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
She was flying from the Bahamas to Miami.

Normally I'd say you shouldn't have your a$$ hanging out of your drawers at that age and weight (no, this is not 'fat' shaming). However, on that flight, some of those inter island planes are so small, there isn't any air conditioning or you are up and down so quick the flight never cools off.

You'd think she would have more common sense.

Probably should not have worn it, not completely inappropriate but close.

But her ass ISN'T hanging out.

Old 07-11-2019, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheerbliss View Post
That's exactly what I thought: this woman is a doctor? Doctor of funk, maybe?

She's a pediatrician.

Old 07-11-2019, 07:34 AM

11,111 posts, read 9,753,246 times
To be honest she is wearing little more than a one piece swimsuit. The legs of the romper (or whatever you want to call it) are longer than a swimsuit, but the rest is pretty similar to one, it's probably inappropriate for anything but beach wear. I personally wouldn't go anywhere in a "tube top" style top like this, or all over skin tight fabric, without bringing a shirt to cover up with when appropriate.

BUT....If the airlines are going to enforce people's dress, they need to have an objective policy, and publicize it to anyone buying a ticket. You can't be subjective about it and only enforce it on people whose figure type you don't like, or who you think look bad in an outfit. I'll bet there were quite a few guys on that plane that loved her outfit.

Old 07-11-2019, 07:39 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 5 days ago)

35,620 posts, read 17,953,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
She's a pediatrician.
She's not working as a pediatrician, far as I can tell.

Old 07-11-2019, 07:42 AM

50,262 posts, read 47,023,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
To be honest she is wearing little more than a one piece swimsuit. The legs of the romper (or whatever you want to call it) are longer than a swimsuit, but the rest is pretty similar to one, it's probably inappropriate for anything but beach wear. I personally wouldn't go anywhere in a "tube top" style top like this, or all over skin tight fabric, without bringing a shirt to cover up with when appropriate.

BUT....If the airlines are going to enforce people's dress, they need to have an objective policy, and publicize it to anyone buying a ticket. You can't be subjective about it and only enforce it on people whose figure type you don't like, or who you think look bad in an outfit. I'll bet there were quite a few guys on that plane that loved her outfit.
We should be able to view pictures beforehand what your neighbors on the plane look like. If that would be possible I'd never sit next to fat, sweaty people wearing too little clothing ever again. Win win.

Old 07-11-2019, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly Q. Bobalink View Post
The two selfies she took in the bathroom looked fine, but that may not have been the case on the plane, her booblies could have been exposed at one point, which got someone's attention. Since none of us were there, and I'm not too quick to take the Good Doctor's word for it, I guess we'll never know. But common sense dictates that people should wear something that does not present an easy opportunity for a Wardrobe Malfunction in a crowded venue. If anything, she was targeted for being a "person of size", not a "person of color". It would be very interesting to hear from her fellow passengers on that flight to get the real story.

I'm trying to find the article that I read yesterday about this...but I thought the article said she had JUST boarded...the flight crew found her outfit offensive, and asked the flight attendant to say something to her. The flight attendant walked with Dr. Rowe, off the plane, and onto the jetway.

I don't think many passengers actually got to see her when this all went down. Not until she was covered with a blanket.

Old 07-11-2019, 08:02 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,531,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Of course, she claims she was "policed" because of her race. AA reached out to her and her "team," apologized, and offered a full refund She doesn't think that's enough.

It doesn't appear that other passengers complained, nor should they have. Whose business is it how someone else dresses?

As for being humiliated, be sure to scroll down for her video on the USA Today post.

https://radio951.iheart.com/content/...or-her-outfit/

In defense of the doctor...

Anyone who's been in Houston in the summer can see the practicality of her outfit.

I have to go over there next month for a couple of days and I'm not looking forward to the stifling heat & humidity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events