Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2019, 12:32 PM

604 posts, read 856,506 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
But if there was an emergency, like if people had to evacuate, even if she had a wardrobe malfunction and her breasts were exposed, would this be such an issue? Wouldn't people be too concerned with their safety and lives at that point to notice/care if she got exposed? Seems like I didn't read about any casualities/fatalities when Janet Jackson had her wardrobe malfunction---look how many millions of people survived that!
A wardrobe malfunction would be the least of her problems in a flight emergency/crash where evacuation was necessary. Exposed skin is more susceptible to being cut or burned. Polyester melts and sticks to the skin and continues to burn, making burn injuries worse.

I recognize most people don't think like this when picking out an outfit for a flight and my comment is kind of academic. My point was that flight attendants are also there to enforce safety standards, although I'm not suggesting this was the motivation for this incident. After reading in other posts that she's after her 10 minutes of fame...meh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2019, 12:32 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

35,629 posts, read 17,968,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
I didn't realize she was a high school student...
Sorry you've become confused.

Old 07-11-2019, 12:41 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,027,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
When I say "elegant, well-behaved clientele" I don't mean elegantly dressed at the time.

I mean they behave elegantly.

Certainly, no airline would expect customers to dress formally for a flight; they should expect a standard of modesty, in dress and behavior.

And that's what coattails onto a dress code. Expectations of better behavior.

I behave politely. I behave, sometimes, in a long-suffering way. Realizing that we're all crowded and uncomfortable, including fat people, babies, toddlers, people with mile-long legs, Indians, Muslims, Chinese, etc. and so on, and everyone in between.

Just curious...what would be YOUR standard of modesty? Like, if YOU were in charge of AA, how would you have your paying customers dress?

Last edited by Sassybluesy; 07-11-2019 at 12:42 PM.. Reason: wanted to add more to my thoughts.

Old 07-11-2019, 12:41 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,022,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schrodinger's Kittens View Post
A wardrobe malfunction would be the least of her problems in a flight emergency/crash where evacuation was necessary. Exposed skin is more susceptible to being cut or burned. Polyester melts and sticks to the skin and continues to burn, making burn injuries worse.
And how many others on that flight had "exposed skin"? I'm guessing just about everyone considering it was a flight from the Bahamas to Miami.

Old 07-11-2019, 12:43 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,022,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Sorry you've become confused.
Just don't understand why you think this doctor is in high school...

Otherwise, why does it matter if her outfit complies with some high school's dress code?

Old 07-11-2019, 12:44 PM

10,232 posts, read 6,319,495 times
My SIL used to work for an airline and her family and friends got discounted Buddy Pass. My daughter used that once for her flight home on Spring Break.

She was wearing her College Hockey Team's Windsuit. It showed NOTHING. Not allowed on the plane. Inappropriate dress. She had a carry on bag with a pair of khaki pants, and a long sleeved button down shirt which she changed into. She was told "still not appropriate" but would let it slide "this" time. Huh????? What did they want? A dress, heels, hat, gloves, and pearls????

After this, we never used that Buddy Pass, or flew on that airline.

Old 07-11-2019, 12:45 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Just don't understand why you think this doctor is in high school...

Otherwise, why does it matter if her outfit complies with some high school's dress code?
I think you're still confused.

Old 07-11-2019, 12:47 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Interesting.

Certainly double standards everywhere.

We were recently on an AA flight. A white couple in their 50s in first class loudly drunk, threatening flight attendants...not shamed or thrown off plane.

Boarded drunk and immediately demanded more liquor. Loudly. Jarringly loudly. The woman was the worse of the 2.

When they initially refused to serve, the woman threatened attendants and was subsequently given the liquor.

And you say some lady was refused boarding bc of an +/- questionable outfit?

Ok.

Old 07-11-2019, 12:48 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,027,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schrodinger's Kittens View Post
One issue I see that nobody has addressed is flight safety. Natural fabrics, long pants, and solid shoes are obviously better than flip flops and a strapless polyester romper in an emergency.

Having said that, I know most people don't consciously dress for emergencies. But even a shrug or sheer beach coverup would have gone along way toward making the outfit more acceptable on anyone.

IF your issue is safety, how is a beach cover up going to help?

And you know...all airlines go over safety protocols before the plane takes off. Wouldn't solid shoes, and long pants...especially jeans, actually weigh a person down more? But anyway...every seat has a flotation device, does it not?

Old 07-11-2019, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
I behave politely. I behave, sometimes, in a long-suffering way. Realizing that we're all crowded and uncomfortable, including fat people, babies, toddlers, people with mile-long legs, Indians, Muslims, Chinese, etc. and so on, and everyone in between.

Just curious...what would be YOUR standard of modesty? Like, if YOU were in charge of AA, how would you have your paying customers dress?
I don't know. That's really hard. And it's my guess that's why they don't have a written dress code. As adults, we're kind of expected to be able to figure out what's appropriate clothing.

You want to encourage breezy, pretty sundresses that might be spaghetti straps, so it's hard to say how much shoulder is ok. That look is certainly fine for a plane. That "cold shoulder" look that's now fading in popularity, but was very popular a few years ago, is certainly an ok look.

Here's the big picture. They don't want customers making others feel uncomfortable with another customer's lack of clothing, and they want to uphold a standard that encourages respect.

And that's really hard to define. It seems we used to know what that line was, without having to be told.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events