Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2019, 04:56 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,456,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeByeLW View Post
^ Right. You wouldn’t even know it was happening- until it happens. Zoom.
Yep. If there's a struggle, its usually because the hawk picks up something to heavy. But, even then the struggle would likely be in the air and not leave signs unless it dropped the dog where it picked him up and the dog couldn't move due to an injury.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2019, 04:57 PM

14,810 posts, read 8,139,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
The husband would be my first suspect. Did he even have a wife and dog in the car with him when he got to the campground? My next thought is someone in a vehicle could have come in right behind him and made the wife get in the vehicle at gunpoint and drive off.

This.

Old 07-14-2019, 04:58 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 18 days ago)

35,670 posts, read 18,040,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
Yep. If there's a struggle, its usually because the hawk picks up something to heavy. But, even then the struggle would likely be in the air and not leave signs unless it dropped the dog where it picked him up and the dog couldn't move due to an injury.
In that case, the young woman had gone for a hike and there were very deep crevasses and she fell down one. Where she was perched, she was virtually invisible from all angles, due to the dense tree cover, and the fact that she was down a narrow crevasse.

This woman supposedly was standing there, waiting for her husband to pull the truck up closer to their proposed site, so she could help pitch the tent and set up camp, while she held on to the leash of a tiny crippled dog.

She can't have gone far, it doesn't seem. She's waiting to help him pitch camp.

Old 07-14-2019, 04:58 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,911,888 times
My wife and I were visiting Yosemite National Park several years ago and had a very frightening experience while in the woods. We had taken a path and walked a quarter of a mile or, when all of a sudden it became noticeably quiet no sound whatsoever, there’s always sounds of birds and animals around but this as dead silent without even a breeze blowing. We looked at each other and turned around to head back to the SUV in the parking lot. Never had I been in the wilderness or woods and not heard wildlife of some sort. Things just didn’t feel right, very scary!

Old 07-14-2019, 05:05 PM

4,430 posts, read 2,718,922 times
Quote:
Inyo does have goshawks, golden eagles etc.

Yes, there have been instances of those (along with eagleowls) taking small dogs.

Some of these birds can take a small deer.

And yes, some are aggressive.

If the dog was on a leash it would be unlikely, I would think.
Well... the smallest fawns weight about six pounds at birth. That is at the absolute upper end of what a bald eagle or golden eagle might carry. No owl or hawk can carry any deer, period.

Can an eagle take a 5-lb. dog? Yes, under ideal conditions. A dog on a leash? No. That's not going to happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Some girl got lost on Maui. How is that even possible. Lost on a small island.
LOL... a 700+ square mile island? That's over 450,000 acres. You can't imagine how a person can get lost in that vast area? Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Can someone else google these coordinates of the exact spot she went missing and weigh in here?

I'm not seeing ANYWHERE she could have fallen where she wouldn't be obvious. Yes, she could have tripped over a rock and hit her head and went unconscious, but her DOG would still be conscious and there she'd be, lying on the ground.

37.330353, -118.199837
From Grandview Campground, there is a forest road that leads down towards (but not all the way to) the bottom of Black Canyon. The coordinates you give are over half a mile from the campground down that road. In addition to Grandview Mine itself, the USGS topo map shows several prospects and mineshafts in the vicinity. Have you ever poked around a backcountry mine?

Google Maps is just a photo. It doesn't indicate elevation variations. Aerial wilderness photos do not even remotely suggest the reality of the terrain.

Old 07-14-2019, 05:07 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 18 days ago)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2x3x29x41 View Post
Well... the smallest fawns weight about six pounds at birth. That is at the absolute upper end of what a bald eagle or golden eagle might carry. No owl or hawk can carry any deer, period.

Can an eagle take a 5-lb. dog? Yes, under ideal conditions. A dog on a leash? No. That's not going to happen.

LOL... a 700+ square mile island? That's over 450,000 acres. You can't imagine how a person can get lost in that vast area? Really?

From Grandview Campground, there is a forest road that leads down towards (but not all the way to) the bottom of Black Canyon. The coordinates you give are over half a mile from the campground down that road. In addition to Grandview Mine itself, the USGS topo map shows several prospects and mineshafts in the vicinity. Have you ever poked around a backcountry mine?

Google Maps is just a photo. It doesn't indicate elevation variations. Aerial wilderness photos do not even remotely suggest the reality of the terrain.
Did you switch it to 3D? You can get close enough it's almost as if you're there.

This isn't as if she's a 3 year old, who God only knows where a kid would go, or a woman on a hike. She's standing there waiting for her husband to repark the car. With a crippled little dog on a leash.

If there was, in fact, a ravine or mine shaft right there where she was standing under a tree, it does seem that would be discovered in the 2 days of intensive searching.

I'm baffled.

Old 07-14-2019, 05:07 PM

146 posts, read 74,327 times
I'm having a hard time understanding why he dropped them off then went to park at a campground parking area. If it were raining and he dropped her off at the front of a Walmart, I get it.
Sounds suspicious.

Old 07-14-2019, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winston196 View Post
I'm having a hard time understanding why he dropped them off then went to park at a campground parking area. If it were raining and he dropped her off at the front of a Walmart, I get it.
Sounds suspicious.
As I understand it, they were driving around in the remote area trying to figure out a place to camp. In this area, campsites aren't numbered or assigned, you just drive around til you find somewhere you like.

So he pulled off, and they got out and walked around that area looking to see if it was an appropriate place to pitch a tent. When they decided to camp there, he walked the few yards to where he'd temporarily parked the truck, while she stood there at the tent site waiting for him to bring their gear closer.

But I could be wrong. I've read all the quotes I can find.

Old 07-14-2019, 05:12 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,456,790 times
Quote:
Inyo does have goshawks, golden eagles etc.

Yes, there have been instances of those (along with eagleowls) taking small dogs.

Some of these birds can take a small deer.

And yes, some are aggressive.

If the dog was on a leash it would be unlikely, I would think.
Maybe she let the dog off the lease, unconcerned because the dog was old and crippled or she thought she could control the dog.

I actually think if the husband didn't do something to her, that she is more likely wandering lost.

Decided to walk the dog. Somehow got turned around. Walking away from where hubby was and got further and further away from him as he searched for an hour before he called for help.

Old 07-14-2019, 05:17 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,911,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Can someone else google these coordinates of the exact spot she went missing and weigh in here?

I'm not seeing ANYWHERE she could have fallen where she wouldn't be obvious. Yes, she could have tripped over a rock and hit her head and went unconscious, but her DOG would still be conscious and there she'd be, lying on the ground.

37.330353, -118.199837
I did a google search on that location and found the Grandview campground area but I don’t see anything on the land that would cause any issues, no drop-offs, no mine shafts etc. It’s difficult to imagine a person disappearing behind a tree or bush and not being able to “hear” a call for help? There is a lot of open area but surely she couldn’t have just walked out of there with the dog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events