Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2019, 05:20 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,429,691 times

Advertisements

I dunno. My falconer friends tell me a different story about “weight limits” for prey. There are raptors that can take a small deer (meaning kill and eat). I’m not a licensed falconer (way too poor for that!)

Well, there are actually plenty of videos of golden eagles taking small deer, or at least pinning it. Flying off with it is another story.

“Take” doesn’t necessarily mean flying away with it.

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com...er-eagle-wins/

“Golden eagles are known to hunt ungulates, both domesticated and wild, as well as foxes, coyotes and black bear cubs.”

Just so you know to be careful if you’re ever out with small dog in golden eagle territory.

Last edited by ByeByeLW; 07-14-2019 at 05:33 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2019, 05:30 PM

5,604 posts, read 6,531,686 times
I'm going with the wife and dog were not with him when he entered the park/campground.

I did not read the story or the link. I am going by what y'all are posting/talking about.

Old 07-14-2019, 05:30 PM

1,209 posts, read 1,432,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
It seems impossible a predator animal could have made off with BOTH her and the little dog.
Witches always get the little dog, too, with help from flying monkeys.

Old 07-14-2019, 05:46 PM

There’s always Bigfoot.

Seriously though, does anyone remember this case? Biathlete Kari Swenson was kidnapped by mountain men :

https://www.google.com/search?q=runn...&client=safari

Last edited by ByeByeLW; 07-14-2019 at 05:58 PM..

Old 07-14-2019, 05:59 PM

17,356 posts, read 11,326,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeByeLW View Post
I dunno. My falconer friends tell me a different story about “weight limits†for prey. There are raptors that can take a small deer (meaning kill and eat). I’m not a licensed falconer (way too poor for that!)

Well, there are actually plenty of videos of golden eagles taking small deer, or at least pinning it. Flying off with it is another story.

“Take†doesn’t necessarily mean flying away with it.

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com...er-eagle-wins/

“Golden eagles are known to hunt ungulates, both domesticated and wild, as well as foxes, coyotes and black bear cubs.â€

Just so you know to be careful if you’re ever out with small dog in golden eagle territory.
Golden eagles don't survive by being insane. To attack a small dog on a leash with a person standing next to it is insane for an eagle to do. It's not going to happen, unless the eagle is bonkers. Eagles, at least in this part of the world avoid people unless you pose a threat to their nest and babies.
The fact that supposedly the dog didn't bark means only one thing to me and that is the husband isn't telling the entire truth.

Old 07-14-2019, 05:59 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,458,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
In that case, the young woman had gone for a hike and there were very deep crevasses and she fell down one. Where she was perched, she was virtually invisible from all angles, due to the dense tree cover, and the fact that she was down a narrow crevasse.

This woman supposedly was standing there, waiting for her husband to pull the truck up closer to their proposed site, so she could help pitch the tent and set up camp, while she held on to the leash of a tiny crippled dog.

She can't have gone far, it doesn't seem. She's waiting to help him pitch camp.

The bolded isn't really accurate.

If you go back and look at your OP, the reason she exited the Jeep was to walk the dog for a potty break.

That's assuming the husband's story is legit.

So she was walking away from the area they planned to camp in some direction because she wouldn't have wanted the dog doing its business around the campsite.

What happened next, I dunno.

Old 07-14-2019, 06:15 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 20 days ago)

35,676 posts, read 18,045,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
The bolded isn't really accurate.

If you go back and look at your OP, the reason she exited the Jeep was to walk the dog for a potty break.

That's assuming the husband's story is legit.

So she was walking away from the area they planned to camp in some direction because she wouldn't have wanted the dog doing its business around the campsite.

What happened next, I dunno.
That's what the media says, and I'm wondering if they just guessed why she was outside the truck with the dog?

The son says differently.

Old 07-14-2019, 06:17 PM

2,525 posts, read 2,081,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
People wander off trails and then become hopelessly turned around from time to time.

Maybe she decided to take a potty break while hubby was parking or decided to walk the dog for one and is wandering in the opposite direction she should be going.

Maybe something grabbed the dog and she ran to try to rescue it falling into a crevice, hole etc and injuring herself. Even if the dog barked or she screamed hubby may have had the windows closed/radio on and not heard her or the dog.

Obviously of course they will investigate the husband.

Very possible.
Good post.

Old 07-14-2019, 06:21 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 20 days ago)

35,676 posts, read 18,045,481 times
Here's a new article. The photos (apparently of rescue efforts) don't appear to be the same place where the son posted the coordinates.

The walking looks very challenging here, although I can't imagine her going far; or heading up the cliff with a little crippled dog. At any rate, it doesn't seem she would just keep going. . .

https://www.ocregister.com/2019/07/1...arch-underway/

Old 07-14-2019, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Golden eagles don't survive by being insane. To attack a small dog on a leash with a person standing next to it is insane for an eagle to do. It's not going to happen, unless the eagle is bonkers. Eagles, at least in this part of the world avoid people unless you pose a threat to their nest and babies.
The fact that supposedly the dog didn't bark means only one thing to me and that is the husband isn't telling the entire truth.
No, that was an answer to another poster about something else and a general discussion about raptors.

My experiences are with goshawks and Cooper’s hawks during breeding, nesting and fledging time. Those birds ARE insane during those times and are quite nuts compared to golden eagles. But, I highly doubt that’s what it was anyway, even though it has happened.

The daughter seems to think he’s telling the truth. I intially read that she was standing under a tree with the dog. According to all the other articles she left the truck to let the dog do its business.

Who knows. Maybe she told someone to meet her there for some kind of escape, although that seems ridiculous because it’s apparently remote area with only one way out. There’s also alien abduction- KIDDING.

Horrific no matter what.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events