Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2019, 02:05 PM

102,308 posts, read 108,476,230 times

Advertisements

Thanks for explaining my problem.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2019, 02:15 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,439,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
I go with #2.

Old 07-17-2019, 02:22 PM

146 posts, read 74,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
The only thing we know is her story is not true. Beyond that, we can only speculate because no one has any actual information. It is fun to speculate. You should try it. Go ahead, give us your guess.
You can speculate about why she is lying or about what actually happened. Or just make up a cool story that explains the facts. It is possible a giant bird (Condor) carried her off to its nest and fed her for three days and then gave her a ride back. She knows no one will believe her, so she just made up another story.

Your turn.
I'll take a turn.
Maybe this man came up to her and it was love at first sight. They both took off for a 4 day romp, and this story is what they concocted for her to tell her husband. Maybe intead of looking like a middle aged bald redneck, he actually resembles a 30 year old Brad Pitt? Maybe the only thing about her story that's actually true is the comments he made about her (ahem) privates, but it was said/received in a good way?

Old 07-17-2019, 02:38 PM

14,406 posts, read 11,848,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Your problem is that you expect the media to report things truthfully instead of adding whatever facts they want so it sounds better. They do not do that. They just tell whatever story sounds good without any regard to what actually happened or what people actually said. They never bother to seriously check anything.

Bottom line is Do not assume the media reports anything accurately. In fact, assume the opposite.

The speculation here in this Citydata thread is probably more accurate than the news reports.
Coldjensen is correct. The media will say almost anything. They make things up and tell blatant lies.

I'll give one example, and apologize for going off topic. On July 5, a young woman was shot and killed by a policeman on a local freeway. You can look this up ("Hannah Williams shooting, Fullerton CA"). Oh, the shock and dismay that was going around about this unjust shooting by the PD. Among other misinformation that was immediately spread was that the fake (but real-looking) handgun recovered from the scene had been found somewhere deep inside her car and "planted" next to her body on the freeway by the police. This was reported as though it was gospel truth.

Several days later, police body-cam video revealed that the victim was not only holding the replica weapon, she was brandishing it at an officer in a shooting stance.

The young woman had also been driving over the speed limit, without a license, and appeared to deliberately hit the marked police car which was attempting to pull her over. With a straight face, the media reported that the 7.1 earthquake which struck Ridgecrest, CA at that time caused her to swerve unexpectedly and hit the police car.

OK, my husband was actually ON that same freeway at that time coming home from work. He was only one exit behind the incident. He called me to let me know that he was going to be late because all lanes were stopped, he'd seen emergency vehicles go by, and there must be some kind of accident up ahead. Of course, he had no idea what was really going on.

About fifteen minutes later, he called again to ask if I'd felt the earthquake?! He was still stopped, and his car started shimmying around. The earthquake could not possibly have influenced the young woman's erratic driving; she'd already been shot well before it happened!

In comparison, a story that switches back and forth between a water source that is either a clear spring or a stagnant pond, a dog that can walk and a dog that can't walk, and searchers who find a lost woman by thermal imagery or by following the same dog, is pretty tame.

Old 07-17-2019, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Yes, that's the story, but have you ever seen her put that dog down?

OK, I guess they wouldn't let her have it in the hospital. I was just having a hard time imagining her deliberately leaving it behind for any reason, but every report says they found the dog first so she must have.

The idea that she was traveling by night to avoid dehydration is an interesting one. I read somewhere (can't keep all these reports straight any more) that she said she was traveling at night to avoid being seen by the bad guy, even though she also said she never saw him after running away from the initial encounter. It wasn't super hot during the day (80s), but it was certainly very, very dry. If you've ever been to the desert, you know how fast you dry out. I'm not sure that traveling at night would have made much of a difference to that, but it would certainly make it harder for her to a) find water; b) find her way back to the campground, and c) be seen by searchers.
Yes. She originally said, that she travelled at night to stay safe from the bad guy. Later, she changed her motive, and said she hadn't been worried about the bad guy after she escaped him and kept going for awhile, that first evening. In that same (revised) report, she said she travelled at night to minimize dehydration.

So we're to believe she found the water source at night, as well as the cactus. There's been no statement about how she spent the daylight hours, nor about how she was able to see at night in difficult terrain. It's not like she was walking on a groomed national park trail. Do you happen to recall, if there was something close to a full moon over the weekend?

I think she also said, that she saw a green area down below, at one point, and figured there must be water down there. How would she have seen that, if she were traveling only at night, and sleeping by day?

I must say, one thing she said that makes very good sense, is that she deliberately gave the appearance of becoming docile after being threatened, as a way to put the guy threatening her off his guard, and create an escape opportunity for herself. And she had bruises or lacerations on her wrist from his fingernails, she showed that in the latest TV interview/video. Why the rest of the story is a mess, HER own statements that are contradictory, even if we discount the media reports, I don't know.

Old 07-17-2019, 03:03 PM

14,406 posts, read 11,848,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Yes. She originally said, that she travelled at night to stay safe from the bad guy. Later, she changed her motive, and said she hadn't been worried about the bad guy after she escaped him and kept going for awhile, that first evening. In that same (revised) report, she said she travelled at night to minimize dehydration.

So we're to believe she found the water source at night, as well as the cactus. There's been no statement about how she spent the daylight hours, nor about how she was able to see at night in difficult terrain. It's not like she was walking on a groomed national park trail. Do you happen to recall, if there was something close to a full moon over the weekend?

I think she also said, that she saw a green area down below, at one point, and figured there must be water down there. How would she have seen that, if she were traveling only at night, and sleeping by day?
The moon was full yesterday, so it would have been close to full over the weekend. It's still not a place I'd want to be wandering around in by moonlight.

As for finding the water source in the dark, it's possible that the moonlight was shining on it. The part about seeing greenery up ahead is hard to figure out though. Moonlight doesn't reveal a lot of colors.

Old 07-17-2019, 03:03 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,476,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
LOL right? That dog is no bloodhound.

Most maltipoos I know would just sniff around the same 10-foot radius for 20 minutes.
Again, just to keep the facts straight, the dog is a Yorkipoo not a malitpoo.

I don't know anything about maltese.

But Yorkshire Terriers like all terriers do have good noses. They are not bloodhounds and aren't used for working dogs that require scent capabilities, but they do have good noses.

I have seen my Scottish Terrier track my husbands footprints in the house to find him rather than just go to the usual places my husband might be. Obviously, the dog thinks that's more efficient.

I also learned the hard way not to pay attention when they are sniffing around. Snake in a flower pot, lizard under furniture, huge bug behind the curtains...…….all causing the dog to sniff around.

That being said, not sure how any dog would just smell their owner "wafting" through the air 200 yds away.

Unless the dog was 200 yds behind and following the path the owner took...…….maybe......I dunno.

Old 07-17-2019, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
The moon was full yesterday, so it would have been close to full over the weekend. It's still not a place I'd want to be wandering around in by moonlight.

As for finding the water source in the dark, it's possible that the moonlight was shining on it. The part about seeing greenery up ahead is hard to figure out though. Moonlight doesn't reveal a lot of colors.
Well, she must have done some reconnaissance during the day, then, or in the early morning when the air was still cool, before tucking in for a nap. She'd want to try to figure out where she was, which wasn't doable at night.

Old 07-17-2019, 03:14 PM

6,483 posts, read 9,867,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Well, she must have done some reconnaissance during the day, then, or in the early morning when the air was still cool, before tucking in for a nap. She'd want to try to figure out where she was, which wasn't doable at night.
She could have been navigating herself by the North Star!

Old 07-17-2019, 03:16 PM

1,153 posts, read 570,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winston196 View Post
i'll take a turn.
Maybe this man came up to her and it was love at first sight. They both took off for a 4 day romp, and this story is what they concocted for her to tell her husband. Maybe intead of looking like a middle aged bald redneck, he actually resembles a 30 year old brad pitt? Maybe the only thing about her story that's actually true is the comments he made about her (ahem) privates, but it was said/received in a good way?
lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events