Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2019, 03:17 PM

14,406 posts, read 11,848,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Well, she must have done some reconnaissance during the day, then, or in the early morning when the air was still cool, before tucking in for a nap. She'd want to try to figure out where she was, which wasn't doable at night.
She wasn't doing too well at that, was she? If she'd had any idea what direction to hike in, she would have been back at the road in an hour or two. I would have more respect for her as an "experienced hiker" if she would come out and say, "Once I realized I was lost, I decided to stay put by the first water I found and wait for rescuers." That would be sensible, instead of all this nonsense about "traveling" by night when she wasn't going anywhere, actually.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2019, 03:18 PM

9,940 posts, read 7,835,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
That description sounds like it would be a guy who was out there camping or hiking and is now long gone, not someone who was living out there. If, in fact, the story is true. There was no one else for miles around except a rapist with a knife who just happened to be right there hovering near the tree where she went to pee. How convenient.
Yes, that's what I thought too. He had a backpack and a long sleeve shirt.

Maybe he startled her, maybe she started to fall from her squatting position and he grabbed her arm to help her, then apologized and went on his way. Could she have misinterpreted an innocent encounter in the woods because she didn't expect to see anyone?

I'm sure he had food and water in his backpack.

Old 07-17-2019, 03:21 PM

4,514 posts, read 2,541,561 times
If there were scatches on her wrists, she could have done it herself. Any why no footprints of attacker nearby. Why no screams that her husband would hear. Why couldnt tracking dogs locate her?
I don't know what happened but i am thinking a planned scam to get money from Go Fund Me, and notariety.

Old 07-17-2019, 03:49 PM

2,472 posts, read 2,510,148 times
I don't know what happened but i am thinking a planned scam to get money from Go Fund Me, and notariety.[/quote]

I've got a hang glider you could rig to look like a giant bird. I'd be willing to loan it out for a cut of any funds you might rake in.

Old 07-17-2019, 03:49 PM

17,402 posts, read 11,386,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
She wasn't doing too well at that, was she? If she'd had any idea what direction to hike in, she would have been back at the road in an hour or two. I would have more respect for her as an "experienced hiker" if she would come out and say, "Once I realized I was lost, I decided to stay put by the first water I found and wait for rescuers." That would be sensible, instead of all this nonsense about "traveling" by night when she wasn't going anywhere, actually.
Not only that but the risk of being bitten by a rattlesnake increases a hundred fold. They are out at night hunting and you won't see them until you step on one and get bitten. They don't always rattle to warn you.

Old 07-17-2019, 04:14 PM

4,430 posts, read 2,736,209 times
She was an 'experienced hiker'?

For one, the road they drove in on - White Mountain Road - is paved at that point. It is also a road that runs roughly north-south (did she have no idea at all where they had driver?). And the campground is on the west side of the road. Given those two facts, had she just keep bearing east she would have found the road soon enough. And just a mile east of White Mountain Road is a forest road at the bottom of Black Canyon, so she couldn't get all that far from pavement. The articles state that there was no cell service (no surprise), and that implies that she had a phone but couldn't get a signal. But my iPhone has a compass - don't all smart phones? And the compass doesn't need a signal to work. She didn't even need a compass; in the morning when the sun comes up, just head east. You don't need the precision of a compass to move generally east in the direction of the rising sun. The land isn't that rugged where any ambulatory person couldn't have made it there in an hour or two, much less an 'experienced hiker'.

Furthermore, the slopes above Black Canyon are steep, but nothing to stop an 'experienced hiker'. And once she'd found a road leading downhill in a canyon bottom, that's a no-brainer - follow it, and it will lead out of the hills. And sure enough, a mere six miles down the road it emerges from the canyon onto fan in Owens Valley, overlooking US 395. And given the search, she'd probably have been found a lot sooner had she been on a forest road.

Had she possessed even rudimentary hiking skills, she'd have been out of the wilderness no later than Saturday afternoon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Not only that but the risk of being bitten by a rattlesnake increases a hundred fold. They are out at night hunting and you won't see them until you step on one and get bitten. They don't always rattle to warn you.
Rattlesnakes are most certainly not out at night at 8500'. They're cold-blooded, and the nights up there are cool. In fact, if there's any rattlesnakes at all at that elevation, they are few and far between. The Panamint Rattler is found in the Whites, but its range is listed at a maximum of 7900'. I don't think there are any other species of rattlers in the Whites.

Old 07-17-2019, 04:25 PM

17,402 posts, read 11,386,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2x3x29x41 View Post
She was an 'experienced hiker'?

For one, the road they drove in on - White Mountain Road - is paved at that point. It is also a road that runs roughly north-south (did she have no idea at all where they had driver?). And the campground is on the west side of the road. Given those two facts, had she just keep bearing east she would have found the road soon enough. And just a mile east of White Mountain Road is a forest road at the bottom of Black Canyon, so she couldn't get all that far from pavement. The articles state that there was no cell service (no surprise), and that implies that she had a phone but couldn't get a signal. But my iPhone has a compass - don't all smart phones? And the compass doesn't need a signal to work. She didn't even need a compass; in the morning when the sun comes up, just head east. You don't need the precision of a compass to move generally east in the direction of the rising sun. The land isn't that rugged where any ambulatory person couldn't have made it there in an hour or two, much less an 'experienced hiker'.

Furthermore, the slopes above Black Canyon are steep, but nothing to stop an 'experienced hiker'. And once she'd found a road leading downhill in a canyon bottom, that's a no-brainer - follow it, and it will lead out of the hills. And sure enough, a mere six miles down the road it emerges from the canyon onto fan in Owens Valley, overlooking US 395. And given the search, she'd probably have been found a lot sooner had she been on a forest road.

Had she possessed even rudimentary hiking skills, she'd have been out of the wilderness no later than Saturday afternoon.

Rattlesnakes are most certainly not out at night at 8500'. They're cold-blooded, and the nights up there are cool. In fact, if there's any rattlesnakes at all at that elevation, they are few and far between. The Panamint Rattler is found in the Whites, but its range is listed at a maximum of 7900'. I don't think there are any other species of rattlers in the Whites.
Thanks for pointing that out. I thought she was at a lower elevation.

Old 07-17-2019, 04:26 PM

2,078 posts, read 2,027,092 times
My longtime companion is buried in Bishop so I am out there all the time and I do not understand any of this . I usually am willing to consider the possibilities but this just sounds really off the hook .

Old 07-17-2019, 04:27 PM

30,707 posts, read 80,055,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
Again, just to keep the facts straight, the dog is a Yorkipoo not a malitpoo.

I don't know anything about maltese.

But Yorkshire Terriers like all terriers do have good noses. They are not bloodhounds and aren't used for working dogs that require scent capabilities, but they do have good noses.

I have seen my Scottish Terrier track my husbands footprints in the house to find him rather than just go to the usual places my husband might be. Obviously, the dog thinks that's more efficient.

I also learned the hard way not to pay attention when they are sniffing around. Snake in a flower pot, lizard under furniture, huge bug behind the curtains...…….all causing the dog to sniff around.

That being said, not sure how any dog would just smell their owner "wafting" through the air 200 yds away.

Unless the dog was 200 yds behind and following the path the owner took...…….maybe......I dunno.
If the dog was basically a bloodhound, then when it broke free of its leash why did it not just go to her 200 yards away?

It wandered around until it was found and then suddenly remembered it wanted to go find its owner?

Better story to have the bad guy show up again and the little dog bravely chased him away. On his way back to mommy, he ran into the searchers and led them to her location.

Old 07-17-2019, 04:37 PM

30,707 posts, read 80,055,903 times
I hope the media pumps this up and gets her and her family all excited so they go even further and more dramatic with their tale. The more they say, the funnier it gets. this thread is more fun than the crazy stuff int eh politics threads.

back to the ird idea. Maybe the guy was one of those Bird human people from the James Patterson books. He was suddenly there at that particular moment because he saw her from the sky and dropped out of the air to accost her. then when she ran away he sensed one of the wolf people coming and flew off - hence no trace of him and not footprints.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events