Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2019, 07:46 PM

797 posts, read 239,746 times

Advertisements

I've watched so many videos of cases just like this on YouTube, and it totally freaks me out!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2019, 07:47 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,458,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
That photo looks like they picked an odd place to camp. I don't see any level ground anywhere. And lots of rocks.I can't imagine where they'd pitch a tent, but there must have been someplace below that steep rocky area.
I don't think that photo is the campsite. More likely an area around it or nearby where rescue workers are searching.

I got the impression from comments on Facebook by people who seemed to know the area that there's a dirt road and there are turnarounds/campsites at various intervals along the road.

Last edited by Blondy; 07-14-2019 at 08:29 PM..

Old 07-14-2019, 07:52 PM

102,246 posts, read 108,166,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I agree. And often we don't have all the facts.
Well, I'm thinking, either she fell into a crevasse or off the side of the mountain or into a mine shaft, or there's a slim chance there could have been an abduction, if someone was living in a cave up there. Which would be an unlikely place to live, away from a river and other food sources, except maybe for mountain goats.

The dog could have barked, but they would have been out of hearing range of the husband, who was at a distance below, wherever the flat place was that they saw, and he was driving over rocks to get there, which would have been somewhat noisy. Someone posted, that to either side of that wall, is a very deep plunge into canyons, if I understood the post correctly. The family says she was an experienced hiker and would have been cautious, but freak accidents happen.

Old 07-14-2019, 07:59 PM

17,356 posts, read 11,326,456 times
Quote:
Well, I'm thinking, either she fell into a crevasse or off the side of the mountain or into a mine shaft, or there's a slim chance there could have been an abduction, if someone was living in a cave up there. Which would be an unlikely place to live, away from a river and other food sources, except maybe for mountain goats.

The dog could have barked, but they would have been out of hearing range of the husband, who was at a distance below, wherever the flat place was that they saw, and he was driving over rocks to get there, which would have been somewhat noisy. Someone posted, that to either side of that wall, is a very deep plunge into canyons, if I understood the post correctly. The family says she was an experienced hiker and would have been cautious, but freak accidents happen.
Don't you think if it's most likely she fell into a crevasse or somewhere close by, those are the places that would be searched first? Certainly they have scent dogs that would follow her trail to the edge of a cliff if that were the case. She didn't hike a half mile away with a dog that has a bum leg knowing her husband was just parking the car and would be right back.
What am I missing?

Old 07-14-2019, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Don't you think if it's most likely she fell into a crevasse or somewhere close by, those are the places that would be searched first? Certainly they have scent dogs that would follow her trail to the edge of a cliff if that were the case. She didn't hike a half mile away with a dog that has a bum leg knowing her husband was just parking the car and would be right back.
What am I missing?
I know. You'd think they'd have checked the most likely places, even helicoptering into a ravine or canyon. And they were using body-heat-detecting technology.

Old 07-14-2019, 08:11 PM

She sure looked great for 60! Wow! 60 really is the new 40!

Old 07-14-2019, 08:40 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,458,858 times
Quote:
She sure looked great for 60! Wow! 60 really is the new 40!
Maybe not if you have a 20 or 30 year old or a real 40 year old in waiting lol.

The husband is an optometrist per people who know him responding on the Sheriff's page. Not sure if the wife works or has been a SAHM.

These are well to do people. That moves my suspicions of him up a few notches.

Successful man, possibly owns his own lucrative business or in partnership, community property state, very expensive to get out of this probably 30+ year marriage if he wants to. Also, a life where he could easily find something on the side and manage it if he were so inclined.

I thought it was odd when the daughter said they were treating her mom's friends as suspects. I doubt that was what they were doing. More likely trying to determine the state of this relationship and if anyone knows about an extramarital affair.

So innocent until evidence surfaces to prove otherwise, but the makings of motive are there imo.

Old 07-14-2019, 08:57 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,429,691 times
That does make a difference!

So perhaps he hid her really well (sounds unlikely) , she was never there, or he had an accomplice.

Old 07-14-2019, 09:09 PM

17,356 posts, read 11,326,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeByeLW View Post
That does make a difference!

So perhaps he hid her really well (sounds unlikely) , she was never there, or he had an accomplice.
If that's the case, it's really foolish on his part. The spouse is always the first and most obvious suspect.

Old 07-14-2019, 09:25 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,429,691 times
Or maybe it was the Hills- you know, “The Hills Have Eyes” Hills.

Sorry if that’s in bad taste. The whole thing is just really crazy. I truly hope that by some miracle they find her alive.

The stranger abduction thing does seem unlikely but it did happen to Kari Swenson, the biathlete.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events