Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2019, 08:52 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,575,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I don't understand the psychology of why these guys often kill their kids before killing themselves. Leave the kids out of it.

It's usually to punish the children's mother I think. Really warped.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2019, 09:40 PM

914 posts, read 642,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Guessing they are attempting to "get back" at the mother by taking the kids life as well. Since no one would miss them. So f'ed up.
I've never thought about that. My god, maybe this happens so frequently where the sociopath murdering husband knows it will force her to think of him each hour of every day when she longs for her child.

We need greater penalties for all crimes. A slap on the wrist is ineffective and only results in more of the same.

Old 07-23-2019, 10:17 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,017,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by settled00 View Post
We need greater penalties for all crimes. A slap on the wrist is ineffective and only results in more of the same.
What type of penalty do you suggest for a dead man? If these types of people are planning on killing themselves as well, no type of threat will be able to stop it.

Old 07-23-2019, 10:17 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,348,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrolman View Post
This is exactly why I believe in Hell.
This kind of thing happens because people believe in heaven. He believed that though he may go to hell, his daughter would go to heaven.

Too bad he is wrong and they are both in the void of oblivion while the mother lives a hell on Earth.

Old 07-23-2019, 10:26 PM

2,083 posts, read 1,087,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baltimoreguy1 View Post
Hmmm...only guys. Well, it's on the internet...must be true.

It is usually men who commit these heinous acts. Also most serial killers are men. It’s just the way it is .

Old 07-23-2019, 10:53 PM

9,512 posts, read 6,098,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Guessing they are attempting to "get back" at the mother by taking the kids life as well. Since no one would miss them. So f'ed up.
Me too. Sometimes I feel like I landed on the wrong planet somehow. I don’t recognize this place much these days.

Old 07-24-2019, 07:46 AM

88,560 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
I think that there is a weird mechanism that they cannot bring themselves to kill themselves (maybe they have tried, but just couldn't take that final step) unless they first take out a loved one, and then the finality of that act allows them to take their own lives.

I wonder.

There is enough of a phenomenon of this kind of thing that they have a term for them, "family annihilators." I used to worry that my ex might do something like this, at times. He'd attempted suicide and talked about it, but often said he "just couldn't bring himself to pull the trigger." Then he'd be threatening to burn the house down or something.

Really glad I got away from him with nobody dying.
Glad you did, too.

Was his name Chris?

Family annihilators: Chris Watts, Chris Coleman, Chris Longo...it's become almost a rule, like don't get into a white van.

Old 07-24-2019, 08:16 AM

20,378 posts, read 14,647,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Glad you did, too.

Was his name Chris?

Family annihilators: Chris Watts, Chris Coleman, Chris Longo...it's become almost a rule, like don't get into a white van.
No, it was not.

I would not cite a name of Chris as a risk factor (a quick Google search reveals a variety of other names) however there are factors common to this kind of case.

https://www.ncjrs.gov/pdffiles1/nij/230412.pdf

- Prior history of domestic violence. (check.)
- Access to guns. (check.)
- Substance abuse. (check.)
- Possessive, jealous type. (check.)
- Unemployment. (check.)
- Disagreements over money (check), sex (check), and children (check.)
- Radical and significant changes in the person's social and economic environment (check - he was put out of the military for medical reasons.)
- Overenmeshment: "a condition in which perpetrators either view “their family members as possessions that they control or [they] don’t see any boundaries between their identity, their wife and their children. And so these are suicides of the entire family, where the anomic, overly enmeshed individual can’t bear to leave the pain behind and so takes his wife and children with him,” (My ex viewed the family as part of his identity, in this way, so...check.)

This is just from a very brief synopsis about the study, not even the actual full content of the study that was conducted.

Old 07-24-2019, 08:20 AM

29,742 posts, read 34,376,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
It's usually to punish the children's mother I think. Really warped.
Especially when you consider that they hurt the children to punish the ex, and they kill themselves to avoid facing the consequences for their actions. It's cowardly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
https://www.ncjrs.gov/pdffiles1/nij/230412.pdf

- Prior history of domestic violence. (check.)
- Access to guns. (check.)
- Substance abuse. (check.)
- Possessive, jealous type. (check.)
- Unemployment. (check.)
- Disagreements over money (check), sex (check), and children (check.)
- Radical and significant changes in the person's social and economic environment (check - he was put out of the military for medical reasons.)
- Overenmeshment: "a condition in which perpetrators either view “their family members as possessions that they control or [they] don’t see any boundaries between their identity, their wife and their children. And so these are suicides of the entire family, where the anomic, overly enmeshed individual can’t bear to leave the pain behind and so takes his wife and children with him,” (My ex viewed the family as part of his identity, in this way, so...check.)

This is just from a very brief synopsis about the study, not even the actual full content of the study that was conducted.
My sister's ex-husband fits most of those categories. For a few years after they split up, we used to joke that he was going to show up at my parents' house on a holiday (because he knew that's where she'd be) with a gun. It was also not so much a joke, though.

Last edited by fleetiebelle; 07-24-2019 at 08:37 AM..

Old 07-24-2019, 08:24 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 5 days ago)

35,620 posts, read 17,948,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baltimoreguy1 View Post
Hmmm...only guys. Well, it's on the internet...must be true.
Baltimore guy, women don't do this. They do sometimes kill their children, but I've never ever seen a mother kill her child to make the father suffer.

They sometimes beat a child to death in a rage, or get rid of children who are inconvenient and try to make it appear like a stranger did it, or they hear voices telling them to kill their children.

Can you find an example where a woman was seeking revenge on her husband, so she killed her child to make him suffer?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events