Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2019, 10:56 AM

29,745 posts, read 34,389,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Are you serious - this is the first instance of a father shooting his child?

I don't want to derail this thread and get off topic into other cases, but you might want to google that. Father shoots child or father kills child.
I think that perhaps shooting is rare as a method, but Josh Powell blew up his kids (and himself), Chris Watts smothered his daughters, and just recently Tim Jones was just sentenced to death for strangling his 5 children. Those are just a few examples that were widely covered in the media recently. Women who kill their children tend to be less physically violent, which is why drowning or poisoning seem to be more prevalent.

Last edited by fleetiebelle; 07-24-2019 at 11:07 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2019, 11:01 AM

22,334 posts, read 29,432,497 times
Wtf

Old 07-24-2019, 11:26 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
See, when you hear a story like that, and the woman isn't holding her head in her hands saying she can't believe she did that, you have to realize - there is nothing that woman won't do. Nothing.

I hope she was given life without the chance of parole, ever.
I hope so, too. At the very least, do not let her out until after she can no longer bear children, but to the last heartbeat would be even better.

There was a horrible, horrible story in NYC some years ago. A little girl was murdered by her stepfather after long-term abuse, and the mother didn't do anything to stop it. She also went to prison, and while there, she told another inmate that she knew her daughter was possessed by a demon when she walked into a room and saw her daughter performing oral sex on the her husband.

The stepfather was a monster, obviously, but I was so enraged at the mother that I thought if I'd ever encountered her I would have no qualms about snapping her neck.

The judge gave her a 43-year sentence, 14 longer than her husband got, because she failed to protect her child.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Nixzmary_Brown

Old 07-24-2019, 11:39 AM

15,799 posts, read 20,504,199 times
wow

Old 07-24-2019, 11:40 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I don't understand the psychology of why these guys often kill their kids before killing themselves. Leave the kids out of it.
Agreed!
Leave everyone out of all your suicide plans.
Kids, spouses, strangers, coworkers.

Geez.

Old 07-24-2019, 11:59 AM

20,391 posts, read 14,661,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
No, of course there are lots of others. It's just that in three well-known ones the guy were named Chris, so it's kind of a darkly humorous meme among true crime junkies.

Josh Powell is another well-known case obviously not named Chris.

Good list of characteristics found in these types.
Oh, right. Sorry. I'm too close to see (without it being accompanied by tone or explained) the humor. Thinking or talking about my ex actually makes my stomach hurt, my shoulders bunch up, and tension to appear visibly in my face. Even though it's been like...over 3 years since I moved out.

I try not to worry about him. But he has said that he is angry that I have not suffered as much as he thinks I should for having broken up with him and "destroyed our family." He says that he's sure that karma will get me. And the only reason he doesn't take care of it himself is that he'll be damned if he'll go to jail over me.

Quote:
I think that perhaps shooting is rare as a method, but Josh Powell blew up his kids (and himself), Chris Watts smothered his daughters, and just recently Tim Jones was just sentenced to death for strangling his 5 children. Those are just a few examples that were widely covered in the media recently. Women who kill their children tend to be less physically violent, which is why drowning or poisoning seem to be more prevalent.
No, the studies I read, the men who do this use guns more than they use any other method.

Women do not tend to use guns, though.

I think it is maybe similar to the fact that while women "attempt" suicide more often (using methods not always guaranteed to accomplish it) men COMPLETE suicide vastly more often. So when a man sets out to kill...himself or others...there's a much higher likelihood that he means it and will use a decisive method to enact it.

Personally though when it comes to women killing children in bathtubs or any other way, especially infants, I believe that people should really do what they can to be supportive to new mothers as much as possible because I can remember what the combination of sleep deprivation and hormonal chaos felt like. You feel like you can barely cope, mentally, with your reality, and then add a baby that won't stop crying, making jangling alarms go off in your brain... There were times I had to put my baby in a safe place (crib, playpen) and walk away. Go outside for a few minutes or something, just right outside the door, and sit until I could be calm and sane. I remember once having tried everything to calm my firstborn, and I was holding him and he wouldn't stop crying, and I was crying, tears pouring down my face, I felt like I hadn't slept properly in days, and no one would help, and this urge to just...throw him...and run...building up. So. I put him in his crib and went outside and sat for a while. I felt like an absolute monster. (Hindsight, my blood sugar was probably also wrecked, we were poor and often had little or no food then.)

But because I experienced this feeling, I really think that a little bit of support from anyone would have helped, and I think that women who feel alone, overwhelmed, and crazed by lack of sleep and hormones post-partum...probably women in that scenario just snapping, accounts for most cases where women kill their babies. Not everyone is told, that if you feel a certain way, you can put a crying infant in a crib and go away for five or ten minutes and you probably should, rather than reach some kind of a breaking point.

Old 07-24-2019, 12:00 PM

2,540 posts, read 6,230,742 times
Quote:
One that comes to my mind of a husband getting back at his wife is Eric Johnson, the student pilot who flew his plane into his MIL's house w/ his 8 yr old daughter on board, killing her and himself.

Old 07-24-2019, 12:11 PM

15,074 posts, read 10,101,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
I believe that people should really do what they can to be supportive to new mothers as much as possible because I can remember what the combination of sleep deprivation and hormonal chaos felt like. You feel like you can barely cope, mentally, with your reality, and then add a baby that won't stop crying, making jangling alarms go off in your brain... There were times I had to put my baby in a safe place (crib, playpen) and walk away. Go outside for a few minutes or something, just right outside the door, and sit until I could be calm and sane. I remember once having tried everything to calm my firstborn, and I was holding him and he wouldn't stop crying, and I was crying, tears pouring down my face, I felt like I hadn't slept properly in days, and no one would help, and this urge to just...throw him...and run...building up. So. I put him in his crib and went outside and sat for a while. I felt like an absolute monster. (Hindsight, my blood sugar was probably also wrecked, we were poor and often had little or no food then.)
This is where i think people need to be supportive of both mother AND FATHER. I don't like it when people assume fathers don't also struggle because they didn't give physical birth. I've had several fathers (including myself) that felt pushed out of the early bonding process. The family as a whole needs support (esp if they've had a difficult birth/medical conditions) in a country/society where generational parents aren't around or long distances away.

Maybe .. just maybe.. father's who kill, neglect, ignore, step-out, or whatever their children never bonded with them after birth in the first place.

Men, from what I've seen, are more than likely to go through with a suicide successfully. Women are more likely to to attempt more often but are more often than not unsuccessful. Women also use less immediate lethal methods (pills OD) than men (gun). Each failed attempt no matter how favorable the outcome (did not go through with it) means the likely hood of a successful attempt increases. For both genders, each attempt can be seen as "practice" to the next attempt/success... as this cycle progresses closer to the end, women are more likely to seek help and men are more likely to toughen it out alone until (hopefully) outside intervention.

Last edited by usayit; 07-24-2019 at 12:20 PM..

Old 07-24-2019, 12:24 PM

6,991 posts, read 2,705,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
I will never be able to wrap my head around a parent being able to do this.

“Cherish ran out to the car crying, ‘Daddy, Daddy’” one neighbor who witnessed the event told WEAR-TV. “She was all happy to see him.”

Cherish’s parents were separated and on Saturday afternoons Jackson would often pick up his daughter from her mother’s home and walk with her to a nearby store.

However, that afternoon Jackson, 22, walked about 100 yards with his daughter before he pulled out a gun and shot her twice in the head.

“I know he said something to Cherish right before he shot her because I saw her look up at him,” the neighbor, who asked to remain unidentified, told WEAR-TV. “That image of her looking up at him is etched into my mind forever.”

Moments later, Jackson turned the gun on himself.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/3-old-gir...171617890.html
Did he tell her to "look a the flowers"?

Old 07-24-2019, 01:03 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
In cases like this it's usually not about being rejected by the lover but having their kids taken from them. If they're going to kill over spurned love, they usually cut to the chase and just kill the ex. When they kill the kids it's a way of saying "you took my kids from me so now I'll do the same to you."

That's because women almost never lose custody battles.
Normal, loving fathers don’t kill their children, period. Do you think abusive fathers should be given custody of their children?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events