Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2019, 12:09 PM

48,519 posts, read 34,833,342 times

Advertisements

I know I have errors on my produce, but I bet I have less than when the cashier does it.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2019, 12:39 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,589,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
And it takes how long to read the bin sign or type in the sticker code at the register. I grant there may be rare occasions when both pieces of information are missing, but mostly this sounds like a way for people to justify putting in whatever they want to at the registers. People are acting like paying attention to the produce signs is akin to real effort.
Stores are not loosing enough money on varying prices of produce, that is significant or even noticeable.

Old 07-28-2019, 12:48 PM

151 posts, read 107,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
That doesn't mean anyone is watching the footage though...in our stores, the only times footage is reviewed, is when we know a crime has taken place, they are mostly used as a deterrent to theft, the thief doesn't know there is no one monitoring the cams
Not true everywhere !

The Walmart near me did a major renovation.
All NEW modern self scanners were installed and only 6 cashier lines were left.

A person is assigned to each self scan " station" consisting of an area of about 8 scanners.

There are big TV's mounted above so that ONE person can keep an eye on the eight screens and the COST and # of items are real clear on each screen.

I was at Walmart recently when the monitor noticed a middle aged couple with many thing in their cart ready to leave yet the TV monitor showed VERY FEW items listed and checkout was listed as $38.00.

The lady monitor stopped the cart and the couple said " scanner must have acted up"
The lady monitor ran the ENTIRE cart thru the scanner after cancelling previous sale and the amount owed was NOT $38, but $132.

It wasn't even THEIR hard earned grocery money that they wanted to " stretch".

The purchase was via food stamps.

A worker said they do not catch everyone, but they do catch MANY.

( Her emphasis was on the word "MANY ")

Old 07-28-2019, 12:53 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,589,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SterkIjon View Post
Not true everywhere !

The Walmart near me did a major renovation.
All NEW modern self scanners were installed and only 6 cashier lines were left.

A person is assigned to each self scan " station" consisting of an area of about 8 scanners.

There are big TV's mounted above so that ONE person can keep an eye on the eight screens and the COST and # of items are real clear on each screen.

I was at Walmart recently when the monitor noticed a middle aged couple with many thing in their cart ready to leave yet the TV monitor showed VERY FEW items listed and checkout was listed as $38.00.

The lady monitor stopped the cart and the couple said " scanner must have acted up"
The lady monitor ran the ENTIRE cart thru the scanner after cancelling previous sale and the amount owed was NOT $38, but $132.

It wasn't even THEIR hard earned grocery money that they wanted to " stretch".

The purchase was via food stamps.

A worker said they do not catch everyone, but they do catch MANY.

( Her emphasis was on the word "MANY ")
Did you see that part in the article, that mentioned Dallas police are no longer going to respond to shoplifting incidents under $50.?

I can understand this completely, its just not worth it, it cost more than that to even have police come and cite or arrest the shoplifter!

Managers at my store are no longer permitted to contact police over shoplifters either, policy was changed years ago, as a result of a study they had done on theft/shrink, they found the losses were not significant at all, even from fuel drive offs!! ( that surprised me)

Old 07-28-2019, 12:53 PM

10,891 posts, read 7,382,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Well, interestingly, I can usually tell you what the price is on an item. In some stores, if the item won't scan they have to go have it checked, I'll say, "if it matters, that item was 2.89", and I'm right. Almost always. But no, I'm sorry, I don't know that was a gala apple, but I do know they're $1.27 per pound, weekly special". I saw it on the sign over the apple bin.

Also, I often eat a donut while I'm shopping. If I have a clerk check out, I say I had a donut while I was shopping, and she types in some price.

When you try to do it with self-check out, you type in donut and it asks, classic or deluxe? I don't know. Neither does the clerk who checks me out, obviously, she doesn't ask what kind.

The problem is, and I maintain this is a problem with self-check - you often don't know what item you're buying, and have to guess among their selections, and I'd suspect customers often pick the lower priced item if they don't know which one it is.

P.S., I'm sorry this "kills" you. Seems like that might be an overreaction to other's shopping habits.
So the clerk types in some price for your donut. Probably the most expensive donut type, because she doesn't know what you ate.
Thanks, I'll self check. Of course, I don't eat food before I pay for it.

Old 07-28-2019, 12:55 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,017,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
lI don't know that was a gala apple, but I do know they're $1.27 per pound, weekly special". I saw it on the sign over the apple bin.
So you know the gala apples are $1.27/lb, but you don't know that you are buying gala apples?

You can justify it all you want, but ringing up the wrong item at a lower price is still theft. It also messes with the stores inventory. If you can't be bothered to remember what type of produce you are buying, at least be sure to pick out ones that have a sticker. Or just go to a cashier and have them ring up your items.

Old 07-28-2019, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
And it takes how long to read the bin sign or type in the sticker code at the register. I grant there may be rare occasions when both pieces of information are missing, but mostly this sounds like a way for people to justify putting in whatever they want to at the registers. People are acting like paying attention to the produce signs is akin to real effort.
If the shopper is only picking up 1 or 2 items of produce in their shopping cart, you would have a point.

By the time a shopping cart is FULL of every item under the sun, the MEMORY of what kind of an onion has a low priority.

..." type in the sticker code at the register"

NO Way!

If Walmart can have their employees roaming the store doing the shopping for those who call in their orders and are too lazy to enter the store, they can offer better service to their customers who DO make the effort to pick their own groceries.

Old 07-28-2019, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Did you see that part in the article, that mentioned Dallas police are no longer going to respond to shoplifting incidents under $50.?

I can understand this completely, its just not worth it, it cost more than that to even have police come and cite or arrest the shoplifter!

Managers at my store are no longer permitted to contact police over shoplifters either, policy was changed years ago, as a result of a study they had done on theft/shrink, they found the losses were not significant at all, even from fuel drive offs!! ( that surprised me)
If my math is correct, this shoplifting amounted to $96

I do not know if police were called but that alert cashier /monitor just saved Walmart $96

Old 07-28-2019, 01:12 PM

130,230 posts, read 12,093,129 times
Cashiers are not perfect either. Yesterday I bought some apricots. I check my register receipt when I get back to the car & she rang them up as pink lady apples. I was probably overcharged a few pennies, but I was too tired to go back & argue the point. I always know exactly which produce I have, & what variety or color it is, so if I had checked myself out, I would have been correct. I have no problem using them, & I am honest on them too. I find not knowing what you are buying, bordering on the ridiculous.

Old 07-28-2019, 01:24 PM

17,304 posts, read 12,242,173 times
Lately I just avoid going to the grocery store altogether. Several store near me offer delivery. Saves so much time and money(avoid impulse buys entirely).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events