Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2019, 01:14 PM

4,416 posts, read 9,140,200 times

Advertisements

careers are indeed a 21st cebtury invention. I work only to go on trips and to see concerts. I have no mortgage nor do I wish to have one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2019, 03:09 PM

2,660 posts, read 1,556,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loose cannon View Post
careers are indeed a 21st cebtury invention. I work only to go on trips and to see concerts. I have no mortgage nor do I wish to have one.
I'm sure your 50s and up will be a hoot.

Old 07-26-2020, 10:20 AM

29,514 posts, read 22,653,459 times
No word yet as far as I know on what will happen to the bus. I think they should make it a tourist attraction or put it somewhere to be displayed.

'Into The Wild' bus removed from Alaska wilderness

Quote:
An abandoned bus in Alaska featured in the film Into The Wild has been removed after increasing numbers of tourists got into difficulties visiting it.

A US army helicopter lifted it from a trail outside Denali National Park. The local mayor said it was "a big relief".

Two people have drowned in rivers on their way to or from the bus and many more have had to be rescued.

In 1992 the bus was inhabited by 24-year-old adventurer Chris McCandless, who eventually died of starvation.

His story was told by author Jon Krakauer in the 1996 book Into The Wild. In 2007 the book was adapted into a film directed by Sean Penn.

Old 07-26-2020, 01:44 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
Its sadly ironic and perhaps a testament to (the inexperience of) some of the people who idolize him that he had the sense not to cross the river and she didn't. I guess she didn't read the book carefully enough. July is the same month that he turned back from crossing it.
This was my reaction, exactly! How could they arrive at the same (or similar) river conditions as were described in the book, and were the cause for the protagonist to turn back, and ignore the danger? That makes no sense!

The article in the OP said, that an investigation into the situation was ongoing. Was there any conclusion in the news? I suppose, they had to investigate, on the off chance foul play was involved? Especially in view of the fact that the couple had read the book, and should have known not to cross the river...

Article also didn't say if the husband was distraught, upon reporting the death to authorities.

Thanks for posting the update about the bus, Suburban Guy. Any follow-up on the Russian couple/wife's death?

Old 07-26-2020, 01:50 PM

15,420 posts, read 9,078,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
No word yet as far as I know on what will happen to the bus. I think they should make it a tourist attraction or put it somewhere to be displayed.

'Into The Wild' bus removed from Alaska wilderness

That is one of the dumbest biggest waste of money I have seen. They are hoping that moving that bus will stop people from hiking on that trail.

Old 07-26-2020, 02:08 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
That is one of the dumbest biggest waste of money I have seen. They are hoping that moving that bus will stop people from hiking on that trail.
It should stop at least a few people. Especially starry-eyed types from the former Soviet Union, who get carried away with their ability to get tourist visas to exotic places.

Old 07-26-2020, 02:24 PM

46,951 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
Reduce the numbers, and I for one think there's a good chance it will. The bus makes the iconic Instagram photo.

Old 07-26-2020, 04:06 PM

3,782 posts, read 4,249,635 times
Quote:
Leave it (build it) and they will come; remove it and less will come.

It will stop a large number looking just for the bus; but no, serious hikers will do the trail regardless.

Old 07-26-2020, 04:59 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,274,252 times
Quote:
eh - good practice for the army. They are there anyway. Probably guard or reserve

They used to fly us out every day from a base in Alaska to out of the middle of nowhere every day. and then come pick us up.

Old 07-27-2020, 02:18 PM

10,355 posts, read 7,988,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Reduce the numbers, and I for one think there's a good chance it will. The bus makes the iconic Instagram photo.
That's my take on it as well - without the bus, the clearing is just a clearing. Many of the people who've hiked out to the bus in the past probably wouldn't even be able to recognize the location with the bus gone (absent using a GPS unit). So a lot of the appeal of the "adventure" is now gone. I think the authorities have done the right thing by removing it, as it had clearly become an attractive nuisance.

People are still free to hike out there, if they wish. But I suspect that most of the naive romantics won't bother to now. And that will save lives (as to many of the naive romantics were unprepared for the hike).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events