Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2020, 11:15 PM

46,943 posts, read 25,969,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Actually he was very brilliant...
By pretty much every workable measure - no, he wasn't. He died from ignorance.

Quote:
we all make poor decisions in life
And the quality of the decisions we make determines whether we're brilliant or not.

Quote:
he lived more than most people do we spend the day surfing the internet and think having a life is watching Tv on their days off.
He died more than most people his age.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2020, 07:43 AM

8,104 posts, read 3,957,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
So how did that bus get there in the first place? I would think that the smartest course of action would be to follow whatever road it used to get there. (Well no, actually the smartest course of action would be to just look at a photograph of the bus and not try and visit it in person. But you get the idea.)
This has probably been addressed, but the hunter cabin bus was probably driven there in the fall when the river was low or winter when it was frozen over.

Old 08-01-2020, 07:54 AM

8,104 posts, read 3,957,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
You don't say.

Nature doesn't coddle fools gently. Or at all.

And became an object lesson to others who want to live: you need a plan for that.
Everyone dies, but not everyone truly lives.

Old 08-01-2020, 08:29 AM

15,971 posts, read 9,381,724 times
It's amazing how an idealistic movie with an Eddie Vedder soundtrack can cast some kind of spell to think and act foolishly. At worst, it gets them killed.

Old 08-01-2020, 08:49 AM

50,721 posts, read 36,424,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoNative34 View Post
It's amazing how an idealistic movie with an Eddie Vedder soundtrack can cast some kind of spell to think and act foolishly. At worst, it gets them killed.
It’s not like people who normally don’t take risks see this movie and decide to go out there. The people that go out there are the same people that decide to climb mount Everest and do other risky things all the time. They are just people that seem to be born with a need to do extreme things. What are used to hang around my best friends drop zone when she was on a skydiving team, most of the people there were of this ilk. They would rather die young then spend their lives in a suburb with a 9-to-5 job and a television.

Old 08-01-2020, 08:59 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,867,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
It’s not like people who normally don’t take risks see this movie and decide to go out there. The people that go out there are the same people that decide to climb mount Everest and do other risky things all the time. They are just people that seem to be born with a need to do extreme things. What are used to hang around my best friends drop zone when she was on a skydiving team, most of the people there were of this ilk. They would rather die young then spend their lives in a suburb with a 9-to-5 job and a television.
This reminds me of my eldest son, who is in his early mid thirties. When he was about 30, he visited us in Texas from Guam, where he was diving off cliffs every day into the ocean (and where he broke his back but I digress), and tramping around in jungle undergrowth, etc. He saw our suburban house and yard and he said "No offense, Mom, but honestly, this seems like hell to me." Well, it's not hell to us. We enjoy refinishing furniture, keeping the grass healthy, walking in the neighborhood rather than in the jungle, etc. He doesn't. And that's OK. Different bites for different likes and all that.

Hey, we're super excited because Monday we are getting two toilets delivered and installed! I mean, they are replacement toilets for two low toilets but hey...excitement!

So far I haven't broken my back, but I also don't climb up on ladders - LOL.

Old 08-01-2020, 09:26 AM

15,971 posts, read 9,381,724 times
If they'd rather die young, there's no need to send out search and rescue. They die young. Rescue crews don't risk their own. Everybody wins.

Old 08-01-2020, 10:03 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,962,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
By pretty much every workable measure - no, he wasn't. He died from ignorance.
Everyone is ignorant. I think he wanted to survive a year out there just to do it. An internal challenge. He was doing okay, but ate a wrong berry and the river rose on him, so he was sunk. Kind of cool he wrote a goodbye knowing he wasn't going to make it. He took a chance and failed. Chances are taken daily and some prove to be deadly. You and I are also ignorant in some subjects. Everyone is.

Old 08-01-2020, 10:08 AM

10,545 posts, read 7,735,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post

And the quality of the decisions we make determines whether we're brilliant or not. .
That's a narrow and incorrect definition of brilliance IMO.

One can concurrently be brilliant and reckless/foolish.

I have an old book that profiles mathematicians from 1800's and 1900's who have made major contributions to their field of study. All of them were obviously brilliant, yet the anecdotes of their personal lives frequently made me wonder how they could be so smart and yet also "stupid" in practical matters of life.

McCandless was highly intelligent, dunno about "brilliant".

Old 08-01-2020, 10:54 AM

46,943 posts, read 25,969,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
It’s not like people who normally don’t take risks see this movie and decide to go out there. The people that go out there are the same people that decide to climb mount Everest and do other risky things all the time.
Nothing wrong with pushing the envelope a bit, but there's calculated risk-taking and then there's the clueless variety. Skydivers and mountaineers on the Everest-level plan, train, prepare, gear up. Testing yourself against nature can be pretty awesome, but throwing one's life away on a lark really isn't.

And I'm frankly not convinced that people who get inspired by a movie are the sort to necessarily have the risk management skills to evaluate their skills and stamina for a difficult wilderness trek. Evidence seems to indicate that, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events