Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2019, 08:55 PM

4,525 posts, read 3,404,939 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke944 View Post
There's a lot of lazy apartment dwellers in this thread I think. Eating fast food crap doesn't help, learn to cook and you'll feel and look a lot better.
So? What does that have to do with this? How they get their food (whether it's delivery or making it) is irrelevant to this discussion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2019, 09:18 PM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
His job was to drive the food to the address, not to take it to the apartment door.
The guy was in the lobby wearing pajamas. Neither of them could walk to the door? I wouldn't tip for that.

Old 08-21-2019, 02:25 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,138,178 times
Quote:
not wasting time trying to find my way around apartment complexes.
Ok, now I really think you just want to yank chains. It's one thing to say you won't deliver to a high rise apt because of parking or entrance problems (you're still illegally parked whether you go up or ask the customer to come down, but whatever) but to say you didn't even venture into a complex because you wouldn't waste time trying to find your way?
Come on, who orders food expecting to have to walk or drive to the entrance of their apt complex to get it? If you have a phone to call and let them know you are waiting for them to come out, then you are just as capable of calling to get directions to the door once you're in the complex.
From the sound of it your delivery days were long before texting or google, but making excuses about not being able to find your way around an apartment complex just doesn't hold water nowadays, not that it ever really did.

Old 08-21-2019, 12:13 PM

15,417 posts, read 9,065,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Ok, now I really think you just want to yank chains. It's one thing to say you won't deliver to a high rise apt because of parking or entrance problems (you're still illegally parked whether you go up or ask the customer to come down, but whatever) but to say you didn't even venture into a complex because you wouldn't waste time trying to find your way?
Come on, who orders food expecting to have to walk or drive to the entrance of their apt complex to get it? If you have a phone to call and let them know you are waiting for them to come out, then you are just as capable of calling to get directions to the door once you're in the complex.
From the sound of it your delivery days were long before texting or google, but making excuses about not being able to find your way around an apartment complex just doesn't hold water nowadays, not that it ever really did.
No, you are the one yanking my chain. I did food delivery on and off for over 30 years. I know how it works. You obviously haven't done it.

Real life situation. I was delivering pizza to a large medical center. Per my training, I called the customer and asked if he would like to meet me at the main entrance or the emergency entrance. He was not happy but agreed to meet me at the emergency entrance in 10 minutes. I arrived at the hospital ER entrance, and stopped right infront of the door in the loading zone. I looked all over but didn't see a customer. So I pulled out my phone and started trying to call him. By this time a security guard came running over and yelled at me to move my truck. So I started driving in circles around the loop waiting for him to pick up his phone. Finally after about 10 minutes of my wasting my gas driving in circles, he came out the door and I gave him his pizza out the window of my truck. He then asked why I did not bring it in to him. I explained that the security would not let me park there, and I wasn't about to pay for parking in the parking garage. He responded, "Well guess what? My boss is the director of security, and he said it was okay to park there and bring it in." I told him great. Next time tell his boss to call down to the security guard, and tell me to park my truck in the ambulance entrance and bring his pizza up. That never happened. Because he was just BSing me the same way you are. You guys think you know how it should be done, better then people who do this for a living.

I did up to six to seven deliveries an hour. Sometimes our deliveries still got up to an hour behind. If I had wasted my time trying to bring food into apartment complexes, I would only have been able to do three an hour at most, and the orders would have gotten up to two hours late, instead of one. Your food delivery person is not your personal server. They have other customers who need their food delivered after yours. They do not have all day to waste on just your order.

Old 08-21-2019, 01:45 PM

10,342 posts, read 5,863,407 times
Quote:

I did up to six to seven deliveries an hour. Sometimes our deliveries still got up to an hour behind. If I had wasted my time trying to bring food into apartment complexes, I would only have been able to do three an hour at most, and the orders would have gotten up to two hours late, instead of one. Your food delivery person is not your personal server. They have other customers who need their food delivered after yours. They do not have all day to waste on just your order.
With no sense of time management and judgement about real life scenarios, it's easy to see why you had such a difficult time.

"Domino's Ends Fast-Pizza Pledge After Big Award to Crash Victim"

Even dominoes doesn't guarantee 30 minute delivery for one pizza. But you, you can make six or 7 deliveries in an hour everyday. all day... Riiiiiight.... No, all respondents in the thread are not food delivery people, but we do accept deliveries from delivery people, and it absolutely does not involve going out to the vehicle to pick it up.

It seems like getting an hour behind would be obvious, 6 deliveries equals what? 5 minutes to get there, 5 minutes to exchange any food or money? Good story for a child to believe.

Old 08-21-2019, 02:09 PM

2,660 posts, read 1,555,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RbccL View Post
With no sense of time management and judgement about real life scenarios, it's easy to see why you had such a difficult time.

"Domino's Ends Fast-Pizza Pledge After Big Award to Crash Victim"

Even dominoes doesn't guarantee 30 minute delivery for one pizza. But you, you can make six or 7 deliveries in an hour everyday. all day... Riiiiiight.... No, all respondents in the thread are not food delivery people, but we do accept deliveries from delivery people, and it absolutely does not involve going out to the vehicle to pick it up.

It seems like getting an hour behind would be obvious, 6 deliveries equals what? 5 minutes to get there, 5 minutes to exchange any food or money? Good story for a child to believe.
Well I'm sure Cloudy wasn't delivering to NYC apartments. The economics just doesn't add up - the delivery charge is $6, so the driver gets what, $3 or $4 of that? and he's expected to try to find parking at apt buildings, deal with getting buzzed into an outer door then travel God knows how many stories to find a particular apt door? This is simply not reasonable.
I don't think the driver who beat the guy up told him on the phone he needed to come to his car - what he told him was he needed to come outside. The guy who got beat up made a big deal about him not coming up, then made a big deal about him not coming to the outer door, then he enraged the guy so much he got his butt kicked.
Idk where some posters here get off expecting someone to jump through so many hoops that apts present to make a lousy $3. After gas the driver is probably making like a buck and a half to deliver a lousy couple hamburgers.

Old 08-21-2019, 04:01 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,017,382 times
Quote:
I arrived at the hospital ER entrance, and stopped right infront of the door in the loading zone. I looked all over but didn't see a customer. So I pulled out my phone and started trying to call him. By this time a security guard came running over and yelled at me to move my truck. So I started driving in circles around the loop waiting for him to pick up his phone. Finally after about 10 minutes of my wasting my gas driving in circles, he came out the door and I gave him his pizza out the window of my truck.
You wouldn't have wasted your gas if you weren't lazy and just delivered the pizza right to where the person originally asked you to. I would be calling and making a complaint if I was ever delivered pizza out the window of the delivery driver's car. And no way would they be getting a tip if they were too lazy to do their job.

Old 08-21-2019, 07:12 PM

2,160 posts, read 4,964,778 times
Quote:
1. The driver did deliver it to his home. 2. It was a McDonalds order. Have you never been to McDs? The driver would not have had to get out of his car at McDs. He could have just drive through the drive thru. But you expect him to get out of his car at 1AM on a street that likely had no parking, and try to find an apartment inside a building? It's not going to happen.
(1) THAT'S THE JOB. And the driver/thug accepted that particular delivery. If he didn't want to make a delivery at 1:00 AM, or deliver to an apartment building, he could have simply passed on that order, and let another DoorDash driver take it.

(2) If this was a McDonald's order, and the delivery driver only had to go through a drive through to pick up the food, than that particular delivery order was already 50% easier. If the driver can't be bothered to then go to the customer's door, he's a doubly lazy POS.

(3) Food delivery has been happening since the 60s. It has always been to the customer's door. There were apartment buildings then, too. Delivery drivers delivered to a customers door without complaint, and without the aid of smartphones and GPS for, what...40+ years...the 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, and for many, the early 2000s. Now, we have cars that talk to us like K.I.T.T. from Knight Rider, that tell us exactly how to get to a destination, and somehow, we have people like you claiming that delivery to a customer's door is too hard or infeasible. Utterly ridiculous.

Old 08-21-2019, 07:13 PM

2,160 posts, read 4,964,778 times
Quote:
Popping pills to cure every discomfort you feel and having Mickey Dees delivered are great ideas for health, sorry if I disagree. I'm not judging, just sharing my opinions - which is what forums are about. People can eat all the garbage and pop all the pills pushed by the big pharms they want, it doesn't effect me.
Quote:
There's a lot of lazy apartment dwellers in this thread I think. Eating fast food crap doesn't help, learn to cook and you'll feel and look a lot better.
"Lazy". Hilarious.

First of all, most people aren't using DoorDash and the like for McDonald's. It's not worth the delivery fee. There are all kinds of restaurants on these services. But if it makes you feel better to think they are all fast food for "lazy" people, you go right ahead with your self soothing rationalizations.

Second of all, it's irrelevant what the restaurant is, or if it's fast food. If the customer orders 10 tins of Purina dog chow with a super sized order of Tender Vittles, that's there prerogative. Your job is to deliver the food as advertised by the delivery platform. If that's too difficult for you, find another job.

Quote:
Well I'm sure Cloudy wasn't delivering to NYC apartments. The economics just doesn't add up - the delivery charge is $6, so the driver gets what, $3 or $4 of that? and he's expected to try to find parking at apt buildings, deal with getting buzzed into an outer door then travel God knows how many stories to find a particular apt door? This is simply not reasonable.
I don't think the driver who beat the guy up told him on the phone he needed to come to his car - what he told him was he needed to come outside. The guy who got beat up made a big deal about him not coming up, then made a big deal about him not coming to the outer door, then he enraged the guy so much he got his butt kicked.
Idk where some posters here get off expecting someone to jump through so many hoops that apts present to make a lousy $3. After gas the driver is probably making like a buck and a half to deliver a lousy couple hamburgers.
THAT'S THE JOB. And it always has been. Since the 60s.

Old 08-21-2019, 07:22 PM

50,748 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Docendo discimus View Post
(1) THAT'S THE JOB. And the driver/thug accepted that particular delivery. If he didn't want to make a delivery at 1:00 AM, or deliver to an apartment building, he could have simply passed on that order, and let another DoorDash driver take it.

(2) If this was a McDonald's order, and the delivery driver only had to go through a drive through to pick up the food, than that particular delivery order was already 50% easier. If the driver can't be bothered to then go to the customer's door, he's a doubly lazy POS.

(3) Food delivery has been happening since the 60s. It has always been to the customer's door. There were apartment buildings then, too. Delivery drivers delivered to a customers door without complaint, and without the aid of smartphones and GPS for, what...40+ years...the 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, and for many, the early 2000s. Now, we have cars that talk to us like K.I.T.T. from Knight Rider, that tell us exactly how to get to a destination, and somehow, we have people like you claiming that delivery to a customer's door is too hard or infeasible. Utterly ridiculous.
Yes it’s much easier now. I remember shining a spotlight out my passenger window looking for house numbers when I drove for Dominos. Trying to drive slowly enough to spot house without pi**ing off the people behind me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events