Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2019, 08:28 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,012,788 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
This is sending the WRONG message to high school aged kids imo.
And what message is that?

It seems like they're telling students it's okay not to have access to your phone 24/7. Socializing with their peers and paying attention in class is a bit more important then the last thing happening on snap chat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2019, 09:39 PM

9,405 posts, read 11,153,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
A phone is a phone. Why try to complicate it? Good for the school.
AMEN! Bad enough half the car drivers are busy with their phones. Many kids I see walking down the street are heading toward premature myopia and hunchback from their bent necks.

Nobody in school needs a phone except the administration.

Old 08-20-2019, 10:03 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,342,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
I love that the school has these pouches, which keeps the phones off and away, but also keeps it in the student's possession. There is no way I am taking away an $800-$1000 phone and becoming responsible for it.
When I was a kid, many students could not afford notebooks and pencils and got reduced cost or free lunch. Now kids have phones that cost 8 to 10 times what I pay for a phone. The economy must be booming!

Old 08-21-2019, 02:20 AM

13,285 posts, read 8,446,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Yes, I think it's great the school has found a way to deal with the "but what about in an emergency?!" argument from parents and students.

I work in an elementary school, so thankfully this isn't an issue (yet). I do volunteer work with 7th grade kids, and they do have a problem with always wanting their phones out. Even if they're not on the phone, having it out still seems to be a distraction. I love that the school has these pouches, which keeps the phones off and away, but also keeps it in the student's possession. There is no way I am taking away an $800-$1000 phone and becoming responsible for it.
It begs to ask, how the monetary value has any place in making a decision. Would you take a gun away if found in the schools? Would you take a knife away? I'd hope that as the adult you would use fair decision making in abiding by the schools policy. If the school states Cell phones off and secured, then that is how you can address it with the student. If it means placing it in another area til the end of that course, that is how it can be handled. Our district has a no phones policy during active class time. The student themselves PLACE it on the ledge and after class can retrieve it. The teachers keep theirs in a drawer...only to be utilized on the school network to alert of problems or notify the main office of any absent class member.

Old 08-21-2019, 06:23 AM

1,879 posts, read 1,553,272 times
I think it’s a great idea.

I also think that as soon as class is over they'll be rushing to their cars to leave and will be using their phones while driving. The school will be held liable because it imposed harsh rules that caused impulsive teens to text and drive because they didn’t have access to them for over six hours.

Old 08-21-2019, 07:03 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,714,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yofie View Post
Does the new ban on phones at San Mateo High School include flip phones as well, or just smartphones? How about tablets, which have many if not all the apps that smartphones have (albeit without a phone function)?
This is excellent news - and surprising, considering it's California. I hope it catches on and is implemented nationwide in schools....and then in workplaces. These things are a national menace and one of the most noxious fads in modern history.

Old 08-21-2019, 07:55 AM

50,723 posts, read 36,431,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeydance View Post
wow.
we know a diabetic child who uses her phone to track her levels.
I’m sure she could get a 501 accommodation plan if her dr signed off.

Old 08-21-2019, 07:56 AM

50,723 posts, read 36,431,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccernerd View Post
I think it’s a great idea.

I also think that as soon as class is over they'll be rushing to their cars to leave and will be using their phones while driving. The school will be held liable because it imposed harsh rules that caused impulsive teens to text and drive because they didn’t have access to them for over six hours.
That’s ridiculous. Plus most of the people they’d be rushing to talk to are there with them.

Old 08-21-2019, 08:03 AM

2,869 posts, read 1,148,822 times
Great idea. I hope more schools follow suit.

Old 08-21-2019, 08:09 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,583,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
When I was a kid, many students could not afford notebooks and pencils and got reduced cost or free lunch. Now kids have phones that cost 8 to 10 times what I pay for a phone. The economy must be booming!
Keep in mind that majority of kids are not paying the retail price on their phones, some trade them or get them used/jailbroken, others are probably on their family plans, which the phones are 'free' or payment is included in the monthly payment (which their parents are paying)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events