Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2019, 06:23 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,011,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
No. Running is natural, dialing isn't.
Running is not always the natural response. Some kids (and adults) get scared and don't know what to do. Others might be trapped in a location and want to reach out to a lived one for comfort. And there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Or maybe the kid does run, but doesn't run to the rally point. My high school was on the edge of a large nature preserve. If a kid there started running, he might get lost and need to call for help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2019, 06:26 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,816,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaminade View Post
Another example of the government infringing on the rights of citizens. However, maybe some infringement is "good" just like some discrimination is good (handicapped parking for example).
Wouldn't have this problem if public schools were eliminated and replaced with all private schools.

Believe me, private schools have been reinforcing their focus on academics, rather than catering to students' cell phone addiction long before a relative few public schools got the memo.

Oh, and the idea that schools setting standards and expectations are "infringing on the rights of citizens," is balderdash.

Old 08-22-2019, 06:27 PM

16,415 posts, read 12,492,377 times
Quote:
No. Running is natural, dialing isn't.

hertfordshire, are you a school kid? I mean no offense, I'm just curious if that's the reason why you argue for phone retention.
Hardly. I'm 45. And I haven't argued for phone retention.

Old 08-22-2019, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tottsieanna View Post
I doubt that the majority of their texts from parents are a "emergency " and if they do the parents can call the office.
Calling the office when the school is on lock down (or during a tornado, fire, earthquake, etc..) will get you no where. You really think the school secretary is just sitting their answering phones during an emergency? They're either hiding, making sure the school is safe, or in contact with the authorities.

Old 08-22-2019, 06:29 PM

15,416 posts, read 9,055,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
[/b]

Believe me, private schools have been reinforcing their focus on academics, rather than catering to students' cell phone addiction long before a relative few public schools got the memo.

Oh, and the idea that schools setting standards and expectations are "infringing on the rights of citizens," is balderdash.
That sounds like a pretty big generalization to me. How do you know what most private schools are doing?

Old 08-22-2019, 06:32 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,206,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
"There has been a shooting. The teacher is dead. What should I do?"

Not an unrealistic possibility, considering the current climate of violence in this country. I can think of quite a few cases of where children were able to communicate with their parents during emergency situations at school.

Then why didn't you describe one of those "quite a few" that actually happened, instead of a hypothetical one? And explain what the parents did to help.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
You're thinking like a rational adult. Not a panicking KID. They are, after all, still kids. And when they're terrified, they want their parents.

So you want kids to have cellphones as pacifiers?

Old 08-22-2019, 07:01 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,467,928 times
Maybe we should hand out soft blankees and pacifiers along with the phones.

Sometimes I can't believe what I'm reading and hearing from people. I worry about the wussification America's youth.

Old 08-22-2019, 07:06 PM

Quote:

Sometimes I can't believe what I'm reading and hearing from people. I worry about the wussification America's youth.
What are you even going on about?

Do you not have a phone? You've never needed to make a phone call or get ahold of someone in an emergency?

Old 08-22-2019, 07:31 PM

15,416 posts, read 9,055,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
Then why didn't you describe one of those "quite a few" that actually happened, instead of a hypothetical one? And explain what the parents did to help.
Quite a few = too many to mention. Here are examples from Columbine High School to recent incidents. Lot's of information coming directly from students, and also being relayed by parents.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59kJafRnuSQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9CUIlBOca0

Old 08-22-2019, 07:47 PM

16,415 posts, read 12,492,377 times
Quote:

In a mass shooting situation, you expect kids to be emotionless robots?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events