Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2019, 05:07 PM

1,879 posts, read 1,553,045 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
That’s ridiculous. Plus most of the people they’d be rushing to talk to are there with them.
You don’t think that they’ll be checking the likes of Snap Chat, Instagram, or Twitter immediately?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2019, 05:17 PM

50,723 posts, read 36,424,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
My guess is, the kids will realize what a relief it is to be free of a cell phone for most of the day.

(Reminds me of that Simpsons episode where the TV broke. Suddenly Bart and Lisa were in the garage building a go-cart).
We had a family road trip to my oldest great-nephews boot camp graduation. The house we rented had the worst internet and none of the kids games would load. We actually went outside, collected smooth rocks and practiced skipping them across the pond. Was the best memories of the trip. Silly me had printed road trip bingo cards and other car games for the drive (14 hours) but we didn’t play any cause the kids had their games and videos on the phone and didn’t interact with anyone.

Old 08-21-2019, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccernerd View Post
You don’t think that they’ll be checking the likes of Snap Chat, Instagram, or Twitter immediately?
I think teens are still mostly talking to each other. Even when they’re standing next to each other they’re texting each other. If they are that addicted that they can’t go a few hours that just solidifies why they shouldn’t have them at school.

Old 08-21-2019, 07:23 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,206,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Yes, I think it's great the school has found a way to deal with the "but what about in an emergency?!" argument from parents and students.

I'm 81 years old, and I have never made nor received an emergency phone call in my life. Not one.

Pick up a can of dog food on your way home, is not an emergency.

Old 08-21-2019, 07:34 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,946,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeydance View Post
wow.
we know a diabetic child who uses her phone to track her levels.

Pen and paper work just as well. That's what my father uses.

Old 08-21-2019, 07:41 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,946,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
This is sending the WRONG message to high school aged kids imo.

Why? Wait until they get a job in a company that bans cell phone use on the work floor. I work in a call center, and cell phones of all types are banned completely. If they catch you opening the top drawer like you are peakig at your phone in the drawer they will write you up.

I don't work for a rinky dink operation, either. I work for a company that employs 30,000 employees, and the branch I am affiliated with is contracted with the NYS Dept of Health to handle phone operations for the NY Health Insurance Marketplace.

Rules are rules, and these kiddies aren't going to learn that any younger.

Old 08-21-2019, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
The child may have an app that can check her blood glucose levels. There’s probably a finger stick that attaches to it. A medical exemption can be made, perhaps they can keep her phone in nurses office and let her go in to check it whenever she needs to.

Even if it is a tracker I’m sure pen and paper can’t hold a candle to tech, in terms of tracking triggers and noting patterns. Juvenile Diabetics are much more fragile than Diabetes II. It is much much harder to control disease than acquired Diabetes and can easily result in death. My nephews brother in law died at 25 from Diabetic shock.

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 08-21-2019 at 08:13 PM..

Old 08-21-2019, 07:55 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,012,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
I'm 81 years old, and I have never made nor received an emergency phone call in my life. Not one.

Pick up a can of dog food on your way home, is not an emergency.
I don't think anyone thinks that is an emergency, and it's definitely not the type of emergency situation parents are envisioning when they are concerned about their child's safety at school.

Old 08-21-2019, 08:00 PM

16,415 posts, read 12,492,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
It’s not nearly the same as the new technology. No, pen and paper don’t work “just as well”.

Old 08-21-2019, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
I don't think anyone thinks that is an emergency, and it's definitely not the type of emergency situation parents are envisioning when they are concerned about their child's safety at school.
Parents can hurt their child’s safety at school with cell phones. After one school shooting I remember an expert on tv talking about needing to resist your impulse to call your child if their school is under attack, because he/she may be hiding trying to be still and silent and then parent makes phone in their backpack ring and gives away their position. I think most parents would not be able to resist the temptation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events