Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2019, 02:19 PM

154 posts, read 76,159 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
with all that experience you'd think the deputies responding would have figured out how to handle kids like this without pinning them to the floor and yelling obscenities at them, right?

lmao
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2019, 05:03 AM

13,753 posts, read 13,421,458 times
Quote:
Restrain him from doing what? I can't believe the responses here. He knocked over a trash can, he didn't harm anyone or threaten harm. The cop should have sat his big fat butt down and talked to the boy, which is probably all the kid wanted - someone to listen to him. Any Police Officer who is afraid of a 15 year old with no arms or legs should get a different job
Clearly because you argue with each and every one that you don't agree with.

Hopefully the kid learned his lesson. Maybe that's what the cop was aiming for. The judge can decide.

I believe behavior like that is born of frustration and an effort to get a reaction, if not attention. He needs to learn somehow it's not appropriate. We don't know the young man's history.
OP you changed track with your bandwagon from "no limbs" to "not even a crime". If they were your trash cans and he was behaving like that on your property... better yet, adopt him and try your hand at correcting the behavior of this "child".

Old 11-24-2019, 05:58 AM
gg

26,135 posts, read 26,114,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Quadruple amputee is a bit misleading. He's quite mobile.
It is how the media is now. Shock value is important to sell adds. People live for shocking headlines so we can feel like victims in some way. Hey everyone, look how bad it is these days. That way we can all play the victim. Odd times. Wish it would someday pass and stories like this would be reported correctly.

Old 11-24-2019, 06:13 AM

51,385 posts, read 37,068,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
It is how the media is now. Shock value is important to sell adds. People live for shocking headlines so we can feel like victims in some way. Hey everyone, look how bad it is these days. That way we can all play the victim. Odd times. Wish it would someday pass and stories like this would be reported correctly.
He has no arms and no legs. He is a quadruple amputee. His arms and legs were amputated, that IS the definition of quadruple amputee. That doesn’t change because he can roll his torso around well. Quadruple amputee doesn’t mean immobile, it means he has no arms and no legs. Quadriplegic would mean immobile. So no. It’s not fake news or misleading news, just readers who don’t understand the terms.

Old 11-24-2019, 07:17 AM

42,826 posts, read 26,547,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post

Hopefully the kid learned his lesson. Maybe that's what the cop was aiming for. The judge can decide.

I believe behavior like that is born of frustration and an effort to get a reaction, if not attention. He needs to learn somehow it's not appropriate. We don't know the young man's history.
OP you changed track with your bandwagon from "no limbs" to "not even a crime". If they were your trash cans and he was behaving like that on your property... better yet, adopt him and try your hand at correcting the behavior of this "child".
I will argue with people who claim that the Officer acted appropriately, that's true because he didn't. I didn't change my story at all, so miss me with that. The boy has no legs, vestiges of arms and was abandoned by his parents. You want to 'teach him' what's appropriate? Good God maybe it's time someone loved this kid a little bit. And the response 'then adopt him yourself' is such a lazy meaningless cop out. I'm so impressed by people who claim that if you express empathy toward another human being you should adopt them or pay their rent.

Old 11-24-2019, 07:22 AM

42,826 posts, read 26,547,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
He has no arms and no legs. He is a quadruple amputee. His arms and legs were amputated, that IS the definition of quadruple amputee. That doesn’t change because he can roll his torso around well. Quadruple amputee doesn’t mean immobile, it means he has no arms and no legs. Quadriplegic would mean immobile. So no. It’s not fake news or misleading news, just readers who don’t understand the terms.
I think he was born without limbs, if that's accurate then the appropriate term for his condition would be Phocomelia. I have been reluctant to bring that up since some folks here are having trouble believing that being a quadruple amputee is a serious handicap. some even want to claim that he is just fine and can roll his way through life flapping his 6 inch arms to defend himself. I thought that by introducing a new term it might confuse them more than they already seem to be.

Old 11-24-2019, 07:38 AM

51,385 posts, read 37,068,788 times
Quote:
I think he was born without limbs, if that's accurate then the appropriate term for his condition would be Phocomelia. I have been reluctant to bring that up since some folks here are having trouble believing that being a quadruple amputee is a serious handicap. some even want to claim that he is just fine and can roll his way through life flapping his 6 inch arms to defend himself. I thought that by introducing a new term it might confuse them more than they already seem to be.
They wanted to use a term people understand probably, and functionally its the same. I really think that poster misunderstood quadruple for quadriplegic.

Old 11-24-2019, 07:42 AM
Status: "This too shall pass. But possibly, like a kidney stone." (set 15 days ago)

36,046 posts, read 18,321,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
They wanted to use a term people understand probably, and functionally its the same. I really think that poster misunderstood quadruple for quadriplegic.
The thing that was misleading for me is I was picturing a teen in a wheelchair, that was somehow removed from his wheelchair to put him in a hold, which would be silly.

It appears this teen doesn't use a wheelchair, and is in fact mobile, and if he's coming at you in anger you better run or defend yourself.

He's not immobile.

Old 11-24-2019, 07:54 AM

154 posts, read 76,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post

Wow...I am so glad I am not this person. I cannot imagine spending my one life on earth with my head buried so deeply. These people just scare me.

They are the ones who will argue some kid while running away shot in the back 16 times by a police officer brought it on themselves because they shouldn't have broke the law in the first place and should've stopped running. Or these stories of people ending up with all this crazy prison time for stupid crap. Well he shouldn't have stole that pack of gum to begin with, then he wouldn't have had to worry about ending up in prison for 14 years...

Most likely a hardcore Faux News, Trump fan....yes? no?

Last edited by BCAA5000; 11-24-2019 at 08:36 AM..

Old 11-24-2019, 07:57 AM

28,724 posts, read 18,964,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
The thing that was misleading for me is I was picturing a teen in a wheelchair, that was somehow removed from his wheelchair to put him in a hold, which would be silly.

It appears this teen doesn't use a wheelchair, and is in fact mobile, and if he's coming at you in anger you better run or defend yourself.

He's not immobile.

I'm pretty sure I would not have to call a cop to defend myself against anyone someone in that situation.

He may be "mobile" (an amoeba is "mobile") but he can't unlock a door. All he had done was knock over a kitchen garbage can.

If that home hasn't found a way to control him short of calling the police, they need to be examined closely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events