Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2020, 06:15 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAZ View Post
Largely meaningless — a better comparison would be deaths per thousand hospitalized.
Where do you get that information?

Old 03-26-2020, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
He said deaths per thousand hospitalized, which, with some interpretation and additional data, might shed some light on: 1) how good hospitals are at keeping people alive, and 2) how many of these folks hospitalized are coming in with underlying conditions.

Basically all Kathryn's numbers tell you are: 1) the U.S. has a huge population, and 2) the U.S. isn't as far along, time-wise, in its outbreak.
We have to look at the rate of deaths to know how far along a country is in it's outbreak, right? That rate should begin doubling more often, right, till a country reaches a peak and then the death rate begins to drop - correct?

Would you say it's safe to say that the US is as far along as Italy was two weeks ago?

Old 03-26-2020, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAZ View Post
Largely meaningless — a better comparison would be deaths per thousand hospitalized.
And by the way, people were talking about how low Germany's DEATH RATE is so that's why I posted the death rates for various countries. The death rate I quoted is COVID 19 deaths per million in population. I don't believe that any country has posted stats showing how many patients are hospitalized. If you have that information please share it.

Old 03-26-2020, 06:24 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,012,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carrcollie View Post
He was price gouging on masks? If that is true, he needs to be thrown in prison.
read the link.........

Old 03-26-2020, 06:26 PM

114 posts, read 56,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
And by the way, people were talking about how low Germany's DEATH RATE is so that's why I posted the death rates for various countries. The death rate I quoted is COVID 19 deaths per million in population. I don't believe that any country has posted stats showing how many patients are hospitalized. If you have that information please share it.
We really can’t go by the death rate percentage for any statistics. Because we don’t know what percentage of every population is being tested. My feelings are if we tested every single person in this country we might soon realize that this invisible monster that wants to kill your grandmother, might not be as dangerous as we previously thought. What if they tested everybody and they found out 150 million of us have already caught or have this virus and didn’t need hospitalization for it? That would put the statistics for this virus in line with the common cold.

I’ve said it all along testing for antibodies and for active virus are the tools we need to beat this. If everybody was tested we could start lifting the lockdowns and such.

Old 03-26-2020, 06:29 PM

Big jump - New York is reporting 100 new deaths now at 7:30 pm central time. Most other states haven't changed their new death counts for several hours now. 266 so far. 247 yesterday. 225 the day before. At least it doesn't look like we're doubling every 3 days.

Old 03-26-2020, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvguru6338 View Post
We really can’t go by the death rate percentage for any statistics. Because we don’t know what percentage of every population is being tested. My feelings are if we tested every single person in this country we might soon realize that this invisible monster that wants to kill your grandmother, might not be as dangerous as we previously thought. What if they tested everybody and they found out 150 million of us have already caught or have this virus and didn’t need hospitalization for it? That would put the statistics for this virus in line with the common cold.

I’ve said it all along testing for antibodies and for active virus are the tools we need to beat this. If everybody was tested we could start lifting the lockdowns and such.

If people are sick enough to die from this, they're going to go to the hospital and they're going to be tested. That's why I'm going by the death rate.

Old 03-26-2020, 06:39 PM

4,651 posts, read 4,968,796 times
Quote:
We have to look at the rate of deaths to know how far along a country is in it's outbreak, right? That rate should begin doubling more often, right, till a country reaches a peak and then the death rate begins to drop - correct?

Would you say it's safe to say that the US is as far along as Italy was two weeks ago?
The rate, as in per capita death totals? No, it tells you nothing about the stage of the outbreak that raw death totals can't tell you.

The raw death total at this moment for the U.S. will continue to increase, but hopefully at some point in the near future it shows, fairly consistently, smaller and smaller increases each day. We are not at that point now. We are at the point where, generally (there may be the occasional oddball day that goes against the overall trend), the raw death total is increasing each day, and the amount by which it is increasing each day is also increasing.

Divide that raw death total by the total U.S. population if you like, but it doesn't change anything I've said above. That per capita number will behave exactly like the raw death total number. It will follow the same curve.

Daily death totals from Italy 14-17 days ago look pretty similar to the last few days for the U.S., so yes, I don't think it's inaccurate to say the U.S. is about where Italy was then.

Old 03-26-2020, 06:40 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
In what way ?
Once the novel coronavirus was recognized in China, a pandemic task force could have begun planning. We know that people today move around. The travel due to the Chinese New Year could have been foreseen, and travel restriction could have been, at least, considered, if not implemented. That’s what task forces do. They plan and they implement.

Old 03-26-2020, 06:52 PM

10,609 posts, read 5,639,469 times
Quote:
6 pm central time - 174 deaths reported so far nation wide. Six states are reporting over ten deaths so far today - New York (19), New Jersey (19), Louisiana (18), Michigan (17), Washington (16), and California (15). Twenty two states have not reported any new deaths today so far.
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/
Quote:
Germany is averaging 3 deaths per million in population. The US is averaging 4 deaths per million in population. For some comparison, Italy is averaging 136 deaths per million, Spain is averaging 93, France 27, the UK 9, Iceland 6, South Korea 3.
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries
Worldometers presents the information in an easy to digest platform. However, it is owned by Dadex with headquarters in Pudong, Shanghai. From exploring their website they have investments in aerospace and defense. I wonder what country their defense products benefit?

As everyone is saying, keep a healthy skepticism about the media we read. Motivations are everywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events