Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2020, 02:57 PM

43,097 posts, read 18,269,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
I just really don't like complaining that other people aren't performing fast enough for the rest of us. Good, the program is set up now, good, future crops won't have as much chance of being wasted. Just because we didn't catch last month's doesn't mean this won't be a good program for the future.

My husband worked on his dad's farm for 20 years. Last week he commented on this issue saying this happens, farmers have to get rid of one crop by a certain time so they can get the fields ready for the next crop.

Related to this, last night I spent scouring the internet to find out where local farms were selling their goods. Many have lost their restaurant accounts, my town isn't having our farmer's market, so several are posting what's available on Facebook in the morning. Also, a couple of restaurant owners are bringing in bulk quantities of food to sell at remote locations for a scheduled time - people are lining up in their cars for hours. I'm assuming they are getting these from their wholesale suppliers.

Here's one website that shows it all. Just put in your location (zip code)

https://www.localharvest.org/shelby-nc

Old 04-28-2020, 02:59 PM

8,495 posts, read 4,161,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryLady View Post
Arkansas should be a 'good' location, although, of course, you worry about patient exposure. One my friends' daughters got into a genetic counseling program. Even though she matched to a less desirable school, my friend was delighted it was located in Indiana instead of either Detroit or NYC. That was the first thing she told me about it! DD is to start an internship in September where she works with the homeless. And then her BF will be teaching.

Statistically, it is very unlikely that DD and her BF and their various friends who work 'high exposure jobs' can be out and about and not end up being exposed - even though almost all will remain either asymptomatic or barely notice the illness. We have a fair amount of space here - and multiple entrances but it really doesn't lend itself to being divided without living in cramped conditions under the stress of possible infection. And then DD would never forgive herself if she "brought it home" to a bad result. I don't want to put that on her.
You brought up a good reason - how she would feel if she infected you. I know I would feel terrible every day for the rest of my life if I infected my mother. This is such a horrible virus, I am sure that it is creating psychological mental pain to so many people, those that being still careful but still living with the possibility that they may have or could infect a loved one. That's why I don't understand the mindset of the beachgoers, do they go through it in their mind the possibility that they could get someone in their family sick? Based on behavior, I don't think they go into that level of introspection.

Old 04-28-2020, 02:59 PM

10,609 posts, read 5,648,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgato View Post
The plants have the coronavirus, but the animals don't have it, can't they just let the animals be and when the time comes the plants will reopen?
Normally, hog farmers sell their hogs to processors. This frees up space at the hog farms for the fresh piglets of now-pregnant sows who will soon give birth. The hog farms do not have space both for the current adult hogs intended to go to slaughter plus newborn piglets.

Or so I've read.

Old 04-28-2020, 03:01 PM

8,502 posts, read 3,341,588 times
Quote:
That is good if her moving out was in the works before. About being financially clueless, I think at that age everyone is - they don't teach kids about consumer stuff, finance, how to balance a check book in school, something which I always, as an adult later, wished they had. Early on when I was working, I paid the minimum on credit cards and I didn't factor in the interest rate, only had a balance on one card though and knew not to use credit cards unless I had to but that was just personal preference. I paid tons of interest. They don't teach us this in school. I know I should have known better, but I didn't.

I think you are doing the right thing getting things in order so she'll be taken care of, just in case. You are doing good prep work towards that.
Unfortunately (money-wise) it wasn't. We live very close in within a major metro area where DD was a "city girl." She had just started to work on her driver's license, which is further complicating this. The internship was deliberately located close to the house. The BF's new September job is one place. Her university (that could continue to be online) is in yet another area of the metro region.

My major splurge has always been travel, primarily with DD. We joke that DD will continue to travel - out of the house and down the road a mile or two (or maybe all of 10 miles). This time, I'll wave goodbye!

Old 04-28-2020, 03:01 PM

13,303 posts, read 7,870,141 times
Quote:
What is reverse sneezing? I like your dog's name, Morkie! Is he named after Mork from Ork, I am probably dating myself there.
S'ah damn sneezure, tha's wut.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5wi3OHSN6w

Old 04-28-2020, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
Normally, hog farmers sell their hogs to processors. This frees up space at the hog farms for the fresh piglets of now-pregnant sows who will soon give birth. The hog farms do not have space both for the current adult hogs intended to go to slaughter plus newborn piglets.

Or so I've read.
Sell the old hogs to make room for the young fresh tasty piglets, that alone makes me kind of sick of eating meat.

Old 04-28-2020, 03:06 PM

8,502 posts, read 3,341,588 times
Quote:
You brought up a good reason - how she would feel if she infected you. I know I would feel terrible every day for the rest of my life if I infected my mother. This is such a horrible virus, I am sure that it is creating psychological mental pain to so many people, those that being still careful but still living with the possibility that they may have or could infect a loved one. That's why I don't understand the mindset of the beachgoers, do they go through it in their mind the possibility that they could get someone in their family sick? Based on behavior, I don't think they go into that level of introspection.
Thank you for your thoughts. I couldn't rep you again, but it's good to chat a bit.

Old 04-28-2020, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperthetic View Post
S'ah damn sneezure, tha's wut.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5wi3OHSN6w
I heard that sound/look from dogs but I didn't know it was reverse sneezing. It's easy to remedy so that is good, funny when the doc said "you kind of smother them for a bit"

Old 04-28-2020, 03:10 PM

10,609 posts, read 5,648,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
I think one lesson COVID-19 is teaching us is that we'd benefit from a less-centralized food processing system. Lots of smaller, more localized meatpackers/canneries/freezing factories, etc. are less likely to completely shut down than a handful of much larger ones.
Good points.

Old 04-28-2020, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryLady View Post
Thank you for your thoughts. I couldn't rep you again, but it's good to chat a bit.
Thank you, EveryLady!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events