Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2020, 12:54 PM

9,511 posts, read 6,107,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryLady View Post
. Historical data available for these states:

New York - Steep decline from peak of 10,000 cases per day to almost 1,000 cases (and still declining)

New Jersey - Decline from peak of 4,000 cases per day to a plateau of 1,000 cases for about a week.

Illinois - Downward trend (for about a week) from peak of 2,500 cases per day to 1,400 cases

California - Consistent upward trend to a peak of 2,500 cases per day

Massachusetts - Downward trend from a peak of 2,400 to 1,000 cases per day

Pennsylvania - Very slow decline from under 2,000 cases per day to under 1,000 cases per day

Texas - At period high of 1,500 cases per day

Florida - Decline from 1,000 cases per day then slight upward trend for the last month to about 700 cases per day

Louisiana - Steep decline from 1,500 cases per day that about 400 cases per day for about a month

Ohio - Plateau around 500 to 600 cases per day for the last month after peak of 900 cases per day

Washington - Early decline from 500 cases per day then several weeks of 250 cases reported daily.
So basically, declines in NY, NJ, MA & LA are negating the increases in CA, TX & FL, while plateaus/'meh' declines in PA, OH & WA hold steady? In reality; nothing is actually going down in the country. It's not like each state has a viral barrier around it. I think we have the worst curve on the entire planet.

Old 06-03-2020, 12:55 PM

10,567 posts, read 7,767,498 times
Interesting article today on CDC's botched response to Pandemic: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/03/u...ronavirus.html

Old 06-03-2020, 12:56 PM

13,657 posts, read 9,720,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JG183 View Post
Thought I'd share this photo, taken in Paris (France) yesterday...
Perhaps it's a fake, or an aberration. But in the broader sense: if we can't enjoy life, why bother living? If life means lockdown, I'd rather die from the virus.

Old 06-03-2020, 01:00 PM

18,732 posts, read 33,402,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
Perhaps it's a fake, or an aberration. But in the broader sense: if we can't enjoy life, why bother living? If life means lockdown, I'd rather die from the virus.
But if it means distancing and wearing masks in normal activities, I'd rather not die on a ventilator or something.

I gather ohio peasant isn't exactly a person who dances around screaming how good life is, and I'm not either.

Old 06-03-2020, 01:14 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,715,012 times
This is such an extraordinary year, the pandemic exposes so many fragility in our society. The 2nd wave was theorized by doctors but it's inevitable at this point with widespread exposure recently due to people who think they are immune and those who are at mass protests. I thought over a week ago that protests would not happen due to lockdown in place but seems people are no longer thinking logically anymore.

Old 06-03-2020, 01:40 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,173,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
We are having our first "real" church service this upcoming Sunday. I have no idea if or how we're going to have communion. Pretty sure there will be many changes. One thing we used to do every Sunday was sing "Blessed be the tie that binds..." standing and holding hands across the entire church and I bet THAT doesn't happen anytime soon!
It will be great to be together. That will be enough at first.

And what a lovely way to end a service.

Old 06-03-2020, 01:54 PM

8,502 posts, read 3,344,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
Testing has increased, yet percent of positives has remained below 10%.
Death and hospitalization numbers have decreased even as case numbers have gone up.

Certain areas such as Imperial valley have spiked, for sure, along with Bay area.
Our state finally fell below 10 percent!!! Don't recall what that indicates other than there is a minimally sufficient testing for one (???) goalpost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongobongo View Post
This from the New England Journal of Medicine.......
"We know that wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection. Public health authorities define a significant exposure to Covid-19 as face-to-face contact within 6 feet with a patient with symptomatic Covid-19 that is sustained for at least a few minutes (and some say more than 10 minutes or even 30 minutes). The chance of catching Covid-19 from a passing interaction in a public space is therefore minimal. In many cases, the desire for widespread masking is a reflexive reaction to anxiety over the pandemic."
Covid-19 spreads somehow with minimal outward infection from hospitals. Staying 6 feet away from others even for 30 minutes is not possible in 'normal' life. Most U.S. guidelines have addressed that situation not people walking quickly by others when spread apart outdoors. In contrast, some European countries have said "mask everywhere period" or "better yet stay home." Even with increased testing (I think???), their numbers plummeted.

Quote:
Then that's fantastic. But it's not always so elegant and pristine. Sometimes our only choice is to pick the lesser of competing evils.!
Or the best combination maybe in moderation understanding none are the magic bullet and all arrive with their evils. At least that's how I look at it and it's probably what I'll do personally.

Quote:
Odd, isn't it, that the increase of case-count is in one large state that's been maximally aggressive about extended and intrusive lockdown, and another state, that's been essentially the opposite? How can we then draw any conclusions?
Not sure if California or Texas are illustrative of any particular point. Their per capita case rates remain well below the admittedly skewed U.S. average perhaps for different reasons. San Francisco and the Bay Area could have been a problem area but it took steps early. Los Angeles now is problematic. California as a whole is denser in population than Texas. But then due to fears of a higher death rate, many chose to social distance throughout the United States no doubt including Texas even when not required - making comparisons difficult.

If there are lessons to be drawn from the data it might be whether the NY metro area continues to more closely resemble Italy and Spain in days ahead than other U.S. states - and, if so, why.

Old 06-03-2020, 01:54 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,163,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JG183 View Post
Thought I'd share this photo, taken in Paris (France) yesterday...
Hmmm, I noticed that the name of the bar was "Black Sheep Society" and not "Brebis Galeuse" or "Mouton Noir". Isn't that strange? I suspect that the main clientele of this bar are not native French.

Old 06-03-2020, 02:02 PM

4,182 posts, read 5,064,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Hmmm, I noticed that the name of the bar was "Black Sheep Society" and not "Brebis Galeuse" or "Mouton Noir". Isn't that strange? I suspect that the main clientele of this bar are not native French.
I thought that too, but it looks like the black chalkboard has some writing in French. I checked Google Maps street-view, but GMSV isn't updated frequently, so it's inconclusive. FWIW, I got the pic from a trusted friend.

Old 06-03-2020, 02:04 PM

4,182 posts, read 5,064,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
The 2nd wave was theorized by doctors but it's inevitable at this point with widespread exposure recently due to people who think they are immune and those who are at mass protests.
No matter how many times you & others repeat this, doesn't mean that another wave is inevitable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events