Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2020, 10:29 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,783,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Read this:

https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-f...-idUSKBN22V2YQ

Preexisting health conditions increase the chance of mortality from this disease. However, being healthy does not eliminate your risks of dying by a longshot.
It is extremely rare for young people to die from covid without underlying health issues. Extremely.

Old 06-15-2020, 10:32 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,099,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post

Preexisting health conditions increase the chance of mortality from this disease. However, being healthy does not eliminate your risks of dying by a longshot.
Thankfully the death rate, even for those with preexisting conditions and/or the elderly, is very low. For people under age 50, with no preexisting health issues, the odds are SUPER low.

I'm 58. No preexisting conditions. I'll take my chances. I mean, I don't want to get it (nor do I WANT to catch any number of nasty viruses) but if I do, I won't assume I'm going to die or have to be hospitalized for that matter. The odds are greatly in even my favor at age 58 that I will fully recover at home.

Old 06-15-2020, 10:32 AM

10,588 posts, read 7,812,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
It is extremely rare for young people to die from covid without underlying health issues. Extremely.
Yes it is. Flu is far more problematic and lethal for kids than Covid. "Protecting the kids" is not a valid argument IMO.

Old 06-15-2020, 11:06 AM

495 posts, read 329,960 times
Playgrounds here in Michigan opened up a couple weeks ago. I'm thankful, because we live 1/2 block away from one, and my kids were missing it a lot. Beaches, or 99% of them considering my state is literally surrounded by them, were never closed. It only got warm enough to really go beaching a few weeks ago though. My family did do a nice walk or 2 by the beach earlier than that.

My kids' regular summer sports didn't happen, but they start golf for kids on Wednesday, and they have a couple different options through the school system. I don't want to put them in unnecessarily harm's way in regards to Covid, but they are seriously bored already. We're usually extremely busy between work/daycare and school/extra-curricular activities. I was hoping a good tennis option would pop up, as that's outdoors and distanced, but there isn't one for my children's ages/skill level.

Old 06-15-2020, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan lizard View Post
Playgrounds here in Michigan opened up a couple weeks ago. I'm thankful, because we live 1/2 block away from one, and my kids were missing it a lot. Beaches, or 99% of them considering my state is literally surrounded by them, were never closed. It only got warm enough to really go beaching a few weeks ago though. My family did do a nice walk or 2 by the beach earlier than that.

My kids' regular summer sports didn't happen, but they start golf for kids on Wednesday, and they have a couple different options through the school system. I don't want to put them in unnecessarily harm's way in regards to Covid, but they are seriously bored already. We're usually extremely busy between work/daycare and school/extra-curricular activities. I was hoping a good tennis option would pop up, as that's outdoors and distanced, but there isn't one for my children's ages/skill level.
Our playgrounds finally open today.

Old 06-15-2020, 11:17 AM

14,373 posts, read 11,769,729 times
Quote:
He did have underlying health conditions. https://www.abc4.com/coronavirus/uvu...s-school-says/
He was the very overweight young man with the glasses?

People really really need to stop pretending that you can be obese and still be "healthy." Being that heavy puts an enormous strain on the body. Yes, he probably would not have died right now if not for Covid, and that's really sad, but it's almost certainly an exaggeration to say he would have lived another 70 years (to age 97!) if he was already that big.

Old 06-15-2020, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
He was the very overweight young man with the glasses?

People really really need to stop pretending that you can be obese and still be "healthy." Being that heavy puts an enormous strain on the body. Yes, he probably would not have died right now if not for Covid, and that's really sad, but it's almost certainly an exaggeration to say he would have lived another 70 years (to age 97!) if he was already that big.

Yeah, that’s him. It sounds like obesity was just one of his factors that made him higher risk. I know someone who had covid and she was also obese with asthma. She was never hospitalized but she struggled. She truly believes everyone is at equal risk and it’s simply not true.

Old 06-15-2020, 11:26 AM

10,588 posts, read 7,812,749 times
Quote:
... She was never hospitalized but she struggled. She truly believes everyone is at equal risk and it’s simply not true.
Our mayor caught the bug down south, came down with symptoms after returning back to Alaska about 3 weeks ago.

She's obese, age 51 and had a mild case. No fever, no shortness of breath, just fatigue and a bit of cough.

Old 06-15-2020, 11:48 AM

18,737 posts, read 33,444,122 times
Friend of mine who works in geriatric psych in Boston, 64, no health problems/obesity, caught it from a patient. Tested negative after exposure and ten days later had severe cough/fever/exhaustion/weakness, tested positive. Her wife, 71, had the same trajectory without leaving the house. They both had the severe exhaustion for almost two months.

Old 06-15-2020, 12:04 PM

88,691 posts, read 85,035,510 times
Quote:
Yeah, that’s him. It sounds like obesity was just one of his factors that made him higher risk. I know someone who had covid and she was also obese with asthma. She was never hospitalized but she struggled. She truly believes everyone is at equal risk and it’s simply not true.
Unfortunately, and again from our NJ MD poster, so many of the patients who suffered the worst of this were obese. It's got to do with the inflammation. Obese people simply already have higher rates of chronic inflammation in their bodies and COVID is a disease of inflammation.

I notice that on the news stories that show a patient being "clapped out" of the hospital by the staff because they survived after six weeks or so on a ventilator, the patient is almost always obese. And this is after being sick for a long period of time.

It is a risk factor. Of the people I know who have died of the virus, the youngest was 54, and she was a very heavy woman.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events