Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2020, 10:28 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,738,390 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
Their mental health is not an issue, and sheltering in place does not compromise it. The snowflakes need to grow up. This is the new normal.

That post is incredibly stupid, and you know it. It isn't about the snowflakes and their personal health. It is about how, during a pandemic, the virus is spread through the population, enabled by the selfish.

You're smarter than that.

I don't want to hide forever, but I will act responsibly, unlike those teenagers and their parents, upon whom scorn and shame should be heaped.

Their selfish behaviour proves otherwise.

But thanks for playing.
Wow!

Old 07-03-2020, 10:31 AM

50,730 posts, read 36,447,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
That is something I have not been able to get an answer on, net friends saying they are so depressed that they are constantly crying......and I don't know what they are crying about.

I put it down to two possibilities.....and then, there is the Kryten analysis. First, unlike the rest of the country, I am not constantly bombarded by TV which, IMHO, seeks to vastly stir the pot in the people who watch it. Secondly, I tend to live in my own little world, a fantasy world.

So, please, tell me, why is everyone so depressed, why are they crying?

Oh, and the Kryten analysis?

"Are you of the school that, when faced with bad news, prefers to hear that news naked and unvarnished, or are you of the ilk that prefers to live in happy and blissful ignorance of the nightmare you're facing?"
For me I’m not depressed (I’m pretty solitary and actually like being home with my honey and kitties, and not having social obligations). But I am anxious about the future. Not even because of the virus but more so the increasing divisions in our society. I feel like there’s an ever growing faction of the population just itching for the triggering match to be thrown so the shooting can begin to start the next civil war. I see more of the things that make me think like this online than on TV though. As a Jew I am concerned about the future, and I worry about my 4 year old great-nieces future. I even worry about how I’m going to protect our cats when the sh*t hits the fan. I worry about what’s going to happen this November, as the atmosphere will be ripe for that final match to be lit. The upcoming election and it’s potential aftermath (no matter which side wins I fear bad things coming) actually scares me much more than the virus does.

To me, “united we stand divided we fall” it’s not just a line from a song or a poem. I think it’s true. And I have no idea how we will ever repair the divisions that have taken hold the last few years. I don’t think it’s possible frankly. I think that spells doom for the entire country.

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 07-03-2020 at 10:40 AM..

Old 07-03-2020, 10:36 AM

14,302 posts, read 11,684,342 times
The question has been raised of "When was it not a hard time to grow up?" Well, I didn't grow up in a hard time. I was born in 1969. I missed all the 1960s angst and was just a kid in the 1970s. The 1980s, when I was a teen, graduating from high school and starting college, were a good time. Nothing really horrible was going on in my world. I mean, if the "defining moment" of young people's lives at this time was the Challenger disaster, you know you had it good. I had no trouble getting a job; my future husband had no trouble getting a job. We met and married in the 1990s and bought a house. Everything was up. I know part of that is that we genuinely made good choices, but it was actually also not a hard time to grow up.

I make a point of telling my kids (teens/young adult) that I am really sorry they have to be the age they are at such a sucky time. I certainly do not tell them, "Oh well, life has always been this hard for everyone." It isn't true. We're all giving something up, okay. But I don't believe for a minute that older, retired people as a whole have had to give up as much as the teens and young adults of today.

Old 07-03-2020, 10:39 AM

14,302 posts, read 11,684,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
Their mental health is not an issue, and sheltering in place does not compromise it. The snowflakes need to grow up. This is the new normal.

That post is incredibly stupid, and you know it. It isn't about the snowflakes and their personal health. It is about how, during a pandemic, the virus is spread through the population, enabled by the selfish.

You're smarter than that.

I don't want to hide forever, but I will act responsibly, unlike those teenagers and their parents, upon whom scorn and shame should be heaped.

Their selfish behaviour proves otherwise.

But thanks for playing.
An incredibly tone-deaf post, starting with the very first sentence. Sounds like someone doesn't believe that mental health is even a "thing."

Old 07-03-2020, 10:40 AM

10,609 posts, read 5,643,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
PBS New Hour had a good segment with a Nobel Prize winning Paul Rommer (sp?) economist.
Paul Romer was a classmate of mine back when I was in grad school. He's a bright guy. He was better at math than I was.

Old 07-03-2020, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
They should be able to leave the house and socialize. But they need to do it SAFELY. That means in a mask with social distancing. Surely our bright young teens and college kids get why that’s necessary.
The problem is that it’s hard for young people to buck what everyone else is doing. If you go to a beach party or an outdoor bar, and you’re the only one in a mask that’s a very difficult situation to be in. Even myself, I didn’t start wearing a mask until other people started wearing a mask. I felt self-conscious until it became “normal”. And I’m 58.

Old 07-03-2020, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
The Oregon State Police seem to think the mask law doesn't apply to them. Meanwhile we just hit a record with 363 new cases today in Oregon.

Oregon State Police don’t wear coronavirus masks while patronizing coffee shop, despite governor’s order - oregonlive.com

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0vZ...ture=emb_title
Those State Police should be fired and have their gold-plated pensions & Cadillac health-care forfeit.

Old 07-03-2020, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
This is true but that doesn't mean it's not a sad time right now, for all of us. I really think that's all most people are saying. It's good to acknowledge the stress - actually I think it's healthier to acknowledge it than to just say "It's always hard to be a teen." I know you're not just poohpoohing this, I'm just saying let's not dismiss the angst that most people are feeling right now. We each have legitimate reasons for feeling anxiety and concern, worry, fear, etc.

This too shall pass. But meanwhile, it's not pleasant. Both realities are legitimate and so are the emotions that they evoke
Also, it’s not like we were not worried and anxious back then either. My brother is 7 years older than me. I still remember overhearing my mother and grandmother talking about the possibility that my brother would be drafted and sent to Vietnam when I was about 10. I never told them I heard the conversation, but I can’t count how many nights I laid awake worrying about him afterward. I had already lost my father when I was five, and he was my world. Certainly would not have help to have someone say “oh well you could’ve gone through the Great Depression too” or “adversity is part of life”. I was certainly not stoic I was a scared child. There seems to be a bit of an attitude that we were much stronger than kids today, but I don’t know that that’s the case at all. Kids need stability and some level of predictability to feel safe, and both are in short supply today.

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 07-03-2020 at 11:24 AM..

Old 07-03-2020, 10:51 AM

9,512 posts, read 6,096,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
In my county it is the 20 something's that are misbehaving and causing the spike in cases. It's hard not to point fingers when you see them acting like jackasses and then see the stats. Some of my kids fall into that age range and guess what? They find their peers disgusting and they are embarrassed.
My 9 older kids are all over the place with masks but have not participated in parties or protests.

The 34 year old is a reluctant mask wearer, the 32 year old is pro mask. The 30 year old is anti mask. The 28 year old is pro mask, the 26 & 25 year olds are reluctant maskers & the 24 year old & 18 year old twins are pro mask. Lol.

I'm just glad no parties & protests. To hear them tell it, at least.

Old 07-03-2020, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Anyway, we've got a separate room and bathroom for her if she has to self quarantine ...
IF she has to self quarantine? IF? IF????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events