Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2020, 10:24 AM

48,530 posts, read 34,851,331 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
The article you linked says the company is refusing to take any individual orders for ventilators.
Almost all rich people have corporations, businesses and non profits.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-22-2020, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Just a thought. If any of you, like me, use the coronavirus.1point3acres.com/en site, give a thought to making a contribution.
They've had over 65 million hits.
How? I just boba tea.

Old 03-22-2020, 10:27 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,197,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
How? I just boba tea.

Old 03-22-2020, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
I didn't do it, because I am not familiar with that site. If it were Venmo or Paypal I would.

Old 03-22-2020, 10:31 AM

As our cases rise, just a reminder. It is the total count because we HAVE so many people compared to other countries. I think the cases per million would be a better indicator on where we stand.

Old 03-22-2020, 10:38 AM

21,758 posts, read 28,086,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
As our cases rise, just a reminder. It is the total count because we HAVE so many people compared to other countries. I think the cases per million would be a better indicator on where we stand.
I think “positive tests” is a better indication.

When people hear cases they literally think infections.

The rate of positive tests tells us nothing about the rate of infection.

Old 03-22-2020, 10:42 AM

10,609 posts, read 5,648,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wac_432 View Post
This is true. I think we're going to see that of the 60% of the population that contract Covid-19, only 20% of cases show enough symptoms to even go to the doctor, and then only 2-3% of those require hospitalization. Of those, only 4-5% die.

So "only"
1.2M hospitalizations (for 0.25M open beds)
and
60,000 deaths. Plus however many can't get life-saving treatment due to the system being swamped. So probably more like 100,000 to 200,000 deaths.
The USA has approximately 227 to 331 Million people. Let's round it to 330 million.

In order to achieve "herd immunity" - I've read we need between 40% and 70% of the population to have been infected & recovered (antibodies) or to have received a vaccination (which we don't yet have.) "Herd immunity" means enough members of society are now immune such that people who are infected are not infecting others nearby, and hence the exponential spread no longer occurs.

Let's say we can get herd immunity with 45%, on the low end.

45% of about 330 million people is about 149 million people. Let's just round it off to 150 million.

I've read that 80% will not require hospitalization (you implied 80% won't need to go to a doctor).

80% of 150 million is about 120 million people who will NOT need hospitalization.

That leaves about 30 million people who WILL need hospitalization.

Of those 30 million people who will need hospitalization, about 7.5 million to 15 million will need a ventilator to help relieve the burden on their lungs & heart, giving their body a chance to heal and possibly survive.

Let's say it is on the low end - only 7.5 million people will need a ventilator to have a shot at living.

Industry estimates are that there are between 72,000 and 120,000 ventilators in the USA today.

Let's round that up to 150,000 operational ventilators in the USA.

That means there are enough ventilators to provide life-saving support to 0.02% of the total number of cases that will need a ventilator to survive.

If the need for ventilators hits all at once, 150,000 people will have a shot at living.

Out of every 50 people who need a ventilator, only 1 will get access to it. The other 49 will not, and they will die.

Your odds are 1 in 50. The rest - 7,350,000 people - WILL die.

So ask yourself a question. "Do you feel lucky? Huh? Well do you?"

The immediate response will be that not all 7.5 million people will need the ICU at the same time. True enough. But this contagion is much like a chain reaction in a nuclear bomb - it goes from a tiny number to a huge number very rapidly. A nuclear bomb does it in much less than the blink of an eye, and the virus is doing it more slowly. The data - which is flawed, of course - indicate somewhere between doubling the number of infections every day at the worst, and doubling every several days at the best.

So, again, ask yourself a question. "Do you feel lucky?"

Old 03-22-2020, 10:44 AM

21,758 posts, read 28,086,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
The USA has approximately 227 to 331 Million people. Let's round it to 330 million.

In order to achieve "herd immunity" - I've read we need between 40% and 70% of the population to have been infected & recovered (antibodies) or to have received a vaccination (which we don't yet have.) "Herd immunity" means enough members of society are now immune such that people who are infected are not infecting others nearby, and hence the exponential spread no longer occurs.

Let's say we can get herd immunity with 45%, on the low end.

45% of about 330 million people is about 149 million people. Let's just round it off to 150 million.

I've read that 80% will not require hospitalization (you implied 80% won't need to go to a doctor).

80% of 150 million is about 120 million people who will NOT need hospitalization.

That leaves about 30 million people who WILL need hospitalization.

Of those 30 million people who will need hospitalization, about 7.5 million to 15 million will need a ventilator to help relieve the burden on their lungs & heart, giving their body a chance to heal and possibly survive.

Let's say it is on the low end - only 7.5 million people will need a ventilator to have a shot at living.

Industry estimates are that there are between 72,000 and 120,000 ventilators in the USA today.

Let's round that up to 150,000 operational ventilators in the USA.

That means there are enough ventilators to provide life-saving support to 0.02% of the total number of cases that will need a ventilator to survive.

If the need for ventilators hits all at once, 150,000 people will have a shot at living.

Out of every 50 people who need a ventilator will get access to one. The other 49 will not, and they will die. Your odds are 1 in 50.

The rest - 7,350,000 people - will die.

So ask yourself a question. "Do you feel lucky? Huh? Well do you?"
What are you numbers based on?

This is pure speculation. Without rampant testing (including antibody testing) all the numbers you’ve been reading about hospitalization rate and death rate are bogus.

Watch Iceland. Outside the Princess cruise they will be the first general population study.

Old 03-22-2020, 10:44 AM

50,795 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
The article you linked says the company is refusing to take any individual orders for ventilators.

That's one company. Let's hope they all do. Half our ventilators are made overseas, and I've read for example wealthy Russians are buying them too, or trying to.

Old 03-22-2020, 10:48 AM

17,620 posts, read 17,674,997 times
Wife went to the store for eggs. Our usual place was out of eggs so she went to a different store. They were charging over $3 a dozen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events