Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2020, 06:27 AM

15,421 posts, read 9,083,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDistinguishedGentleman View Post
It's still a very small proportion of the overall population.

Calm down.

Also, new infections are down.
People like you, are the reason we have three times more cases then any other country in the world. Don't worry people are dying, eventually it will stop. We have a big population. so we can afford to lose people.

Old 04-15-2020, 06:35 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,809,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
Part of being a good prepper is making sure you have your tp and a jar of instant coffee, just for those emergencies!
Instant coffee YUCK. I’d rather go without.

Old 04-15-2020, 06:48 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,553,915 times
Everyone who has their tax refunds direct deposited, check your account! I received my stimulus payment today.

Old 04-15-2020, 06:52 AM

2,761 posts, read 2,230,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
People like you, are the reason we have three times more cases then any other country in the world. Don't worry people are dying, eventually it will stop. We have a big population. so we can afford to lose people.
He's way more worried about the economy and all the civil unrest that will follow after the Covid fallout. I'm in that camp too. It's going to be so ugly. Covid deaths are going to pale in comparison from the suicides, delayed surgeries, domestic violence, xenophobia attacks, etc etc that's already happening and going to increase in the following months to years.

I believe in the shutdown but shudder to think about the future.

Old 04-15-2020, 07:06 AM

4,299 posts, read 1,557,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
Everyone who has their tax refunds direct deposited, check your account! I received my stimulus payment today.
Yep, mine came in this morning.

So, what do we think is going to happen in the US in the next 4 weeks? I think an almighty battle is going to occur between the federal and state governments on opening up. I expect FL to open up (from what little lockdown we've had, I mean, we had WWE wrestling occur) but I expect pushback from CA, WA and NY.

There is as I understand no grand plan on reopening. Just loud impatience from some people. Clearly lockdown cannot continue indefinitely. I think a plan to allow people in the lowest risk categories to go back to work is an idea that could work.

Old 04-15-2020, 07:14 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,553,915 times
Until we have testing for everyone, opening up businesses will lead to a spike in the number of cases - exactly what we've been trying to avoid. I want to get back to some semblance of normal as soon as possible, too, but we can't until we can track and trace every asymptomatic person so they can be quarantined.

California isn't going to open anything anytime soon. It would be at least two weeks from when the caseload peaks. I wouldn't be in such a rush; I suspect not everyone stayed home on Easter.

The federal government has no control of when the governors decide to open their states, although we might see tantrums and rants, nothing will really change for many people for a while. The states that do open up (like Florida) will see more cases within two or three weeks and might decide to rethink their decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbeard View Post

So, what do we think is going to happen in the US in the next 4 weeks? I think an almighty battle is going to occur between the federal and state governments on opening up. I expect FL to open up (from what little lockdown we've had, I mean, we had WWE wrestling occur) but I expect pushback from CA, WA and NY.

There is as I understand no grand plan on reopening. Just loud impatience from some people. Clearly lockdown cannot continue indefinitely. I think a plan to allow people in the lowest risk categories to go back to work is an idea that could work.

Old 04-15-2020, 07:34 AM

15,421 posts, read 9,083,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockyman View Post
He's way more worried about the economy and all the civil unrest that will follow after the Covid fallout. I'm in that camp too. It's going to be so ugly. Covid deaths are going to pale in comparison from the suicides, delayed surgeries, domestic violence, xenophobia attacks, etc etc that's already happening and going to increase in the following months to years.

I believe in the shutdown but shudder to think about the future.
And you will have to continue to worry about that, until you begin to understand that we can't have a great economy without a great universal healthcare system to keep people healthy and working. You can't have a first world economy and a third world healthcare system. It will never work. This is the results of it. A virus that is killing more people then in any other country. This is your policies at work.

Old 04-15-2020, 07:38 AM

14,267 posts, read 6,958,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbeard View Post

Was the WWE with an audience or without?

Old 04-15-2020, 07:48 AM

5,179 posts, read 3,091,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
Instant coffee YUCK. I’d rather go without.
There are a few good instants out there (no-es-cafe is not one of them). Try the Tasters Choice Colombian.

Old 04-15-2020, 07:49 AM

6,345 posts, read 8,122,671 times
The government released retail sales figure for March. It was a blood bath, except for grocery stores and online sellers. It dropped a record 8.7%.

Here are the notable segments. If this keeps going on, you can bet on permanent closures on clothing stores, restaurants, and department stores. These are major employers in rural counties. There are few other job options in rural counties. They won't have a corporate office that can take up the slack.

The local governors need to look at a phased reopening of the economy and open up low risk rural counties before the urban centers. They are less population dense and show lower spread rate for Coronavirus.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/re...=mw_latestnews
Quote:
Sales sank 27% at auto dealers and 17% at gas stations, two of biggest segments of the retail industry.

Sales fell a smaller but still crushing 3.1% excluding those categories, but the damage was still widespread. Receipts plunged a staggering 50% at clothing stores, 26.5% at restaurants and 20% at department stores.

Some such as grocery stores and Internet retailers actually saw a big surge in sales as many people rushed to stock up on essential goods or order online to avoid going out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events