Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2020, 07:53 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,838,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Now on CO News - 23 yr old fr Utah went skiing with his 3 buddies at Steamboat Springs, CO - USA, last month.
Next day the resort was closed. They text each other with some fatigue symptoms very soon after.
They are all + Corona...symptoms progressed. The story should be able to be googled, might makw
Nat'l News today - But my
Main point is: He has NO smelling ability, very little taste if any. Onions, perfume, nothing.
Can eat a lemon, tastes nothing.
MDs have no idea, of course, if this is permanent or even the reason.
(Zinc is a common deficiency mentioned elsewhere, btw.)
Loss of smell is one of the common symptoms of the virus. Doctors here are telling people to sniff cinnamon to check their sense of smell.

Old 04-15-2020, 07:59 AM

5,179 posts, read 3,091,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockyman View Post
He's way more worried about the economy and all the civil unrest that will follow after the Covid fallout. I'm in that camp too. It's going to be so ugly. Covid deaths are going to pale in comparison from the suicides, delayed surgeries, domestic violence, xenophobia attacks, etc etc that's already happening and going to increase in the following months to years.

I believe in the shutdown but shudder to think about the future.
Sudden change is upon us, there will never be a return to those past times of “normal”. We either accept the reality of change and adapt, or we get swept aside. A volcanic eruption triggered an ice age ~75 centuries ago and genetic evidence suggests the human population of the world dwindled to less than 40,000. To our credit as a species we put our brains to work and survived against some long odds. By comparison this pandemic is a walk in the park.

Old 04-15-2020, 08:00 AM

19,808 posts, read 9,367,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
The government released retail sales figure for March. It was a blood bath, except for grocery stores and online sellers. It dropped a record 8.7%.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/re...=mw_latestnews
I am shocked that the 8.7% figure was not higher. I honestly did not even think of doing "in-store, non-grocery" shopping after March 16! (Metro Denver.)

If April doesn't show a drop of at least 50%, I will be even more surprised!

Old 04-15-2020, 08:02 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Ten? Like... 10?? I know you listed only the 10 biggest ones....

Chinese investors and firms own a majority of almost 2,400 American companies employing 114,000 people, about the same number as the combined U.S. staff of Google, Facebook and Tesla, according to data from MacroPolo.

https://www.industryweek.com/the-eco...pany-they-want <<< this could be eye-opening for some
20% of US debt is owned by China.

...and US prime farmland:
While Chinese entities only own about 191,000 acres worth $1.9 billion, overall Chinese investment in the agricultural sector has grown tenfold in less than a decade, according to the USDA’s Economic Research Service.

China also has a stake in:
Morgan Stanley, VISA, Blackstone, Ford, Chesapeake Energy, and American social news aggregation site Reddit.

Yeah, America's biggest companies made China great again...

Oh, and did I tell you that the most downloaded app in the US in (October 2018) Tiktok is also owned by a Chinese Internet technology company, Beijing ByteDance?
Yes, as you stated, I only listed ten and didn't imply that those are the only ones - those are only ten of the most recognized ones. I figured most people knew there are thousands of Chinese-owned companies in the US, and personally I think it's ridiculous to allow ANY country, but especially a Communist country, to control this much of our economy.

Old 04-15-2020, 08:04 AM

19,808 posts, read 9,367,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
Everyone who has their tax refunds direct deposited, check your account! I received my stimulus payment today.
FYI, I'm married and although I'm on SS, my husband is not; and we owed more taxes for 2018 and 2019 and paid them using personal check -- but no stimulus payment yet. (We do qualify, according to the online calculator.) Anyway, according to the following, everyone who is entitled to a check should receive one by April 24.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/14/polit...irs/index.html

Last edited by katharsis; 04-15-2020 at 08:24 AM..

Old 04-15-2020, 08:07 AM

37,618 posts, read 46,016,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
People like you, are the reason we have three times more cases then any other country in the world. Don't worry people are dying, eventually it will stop. We have a big population. so we can afford to lose people.
That is NOT what he said. Good LORD your username is certainly appropriate.

Old 04-15-2020, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
Great idea. I'm not surprised someone had already thought about that as noted above

It's reported but bad news is ever so much more exciting than good news.

Old 04-15-2020, 08:10 AM

14,267 posts, read 6,958,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
FYI, I'm married and on SS, but my husband is not, and we owed taxes for 2018 and 2019 and paid them using personal check -- but no stimulus payment yet. (We do qualify, according to the online calculator.) Anyway, according to the following, everyone who is entitled to a check should receive one by April 24.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/14/polit...irs/index.html
You can go on the IRS.gov website to input your bank info if you want to get it by direct deposit. That should be faster than a printed check with The Donald's name on it.

Old 04-15-2020, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Almost as many deaths as recoveries. We broke the record again with 2,407 daily deaths up from 2,035 on April 10. (
It's all in the reporting and as others have pointed out, we don't know how many people who have recovered go back in for a final "Hey, I'm recovered!" test. Most people stay home - they don't end up in the hospital. Many have very, very mild cases. Personally, unless someone was MAKING me go take another test, if I had a mild case (which is the most likely scenario), I wouldn't go sit in a waiting room to be tested again.

And I know it doesn't do any good to point this out to you again, but I will - keep in mind that of COURSE we would be likely to have a high number of cases or deaths or whatever - because we have a massive population, especially compared to countries like Italy, Spain, France, the UK, etc. We have 328,200,000 people.

Old 04-15-2020, 08:22 AM

48,534 posts, read 34,863,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
It's all in the reporting and as others have pointed out, we don't know how many people who have recovered go back in for a final "Hey, I'm recovered!" test. Most people stay home - they don't end up in the hospital. Many have very, very mild cases. Personally, unless someone was MAKING me go take another test, if I had a mild case (which is the most likely scenario), I wouldn't go sit in a waiting room to be tested again.

And I know it doesn't do any good to point this out to you again, but I will - keep in mind that of COURSE we would be likely to have a high number of cases or deaths or whatever - because we have a massive population, especially compared to countries like Italy, Spain, France, the UK, etc. We have 328,200,000 people.

Most people who are told to stay home, aren't even tested. So they are not in the numbers at all.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events