Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2020, 10:06 AM

37,591 posts, read 45,950,883 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I agree. New case counts are iffy because the testing is all over the place. But since it IS only using a one-week time frame, it's not the same as if, say, they were using last month to this month. The fluctuation in numbers of tests can't be that wild over 7 days unless some of your states just started testing a couple of days ago.

In today's news (the same I mention above that says we are below 1000 in the ICUs here now) it also says that positive tests are down in both my county and the adjoining one (the area served by the Asbury Park Press) to fewer than 100 a day. Available testing now exceeds demand.
I believe a lot of "at will" testing actually just recently started. That is true here at least.

Old 05-20-2020, 10:08 AM

18,703 posts, read 33,366,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Yes, football lends itself quite well to television LOL. My brother and I used to go to baseball games all the time, but that's back when we could get a ticket for $6! We even went to several world series games and still spent less than $100 each. Now it's $75 for nosebleed seats at regular game plus $35 to park. No thanks!
Heh. I moved from Boston to mountain Colorado two years ago and got the MLB package with Direct TV for the Red Sox. Just cancelled it because of the truncated season, if any this year. I wonder if I'll be able to gravitate towards the Rockies next year. It's all football here, all the time! Even the surveyor's sticks for new building has the Bronco colors. Someone had to explain that to me.

Old 05-20-2020, 10:13 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Yes, football lends itself quite well to television LOL. My brother and I used to go to baseball games all the time, but that's back when we could get a ticket for $6! We even went to several world series games and still spent less than $100 each. Now it's $75 for nosebleed seats at regular game plus $35 to park. No thanks!
Last one I went to was with a group from work (and I retired in early 2016). We went to see a Mets game. It was my first time at the new stadium, so I'm glad I went. It was really nice. Never went to the new Yankee stadium but I don't like them so I don't care.

At any rate, I think my days of such activities are done, but I do like to watch baseball on TV, and I hope that MLB is able to at least play a little bit this year.

Old 05-20-2020, 10:17 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Heh. I moved from Boston to mountain Colorado two years ago and got the MLB package with Direct TV for the Red Sox. Just cancelled it because of the truncated season, if any this year. I wonder if I'll be able to gravitate towards the Rockies next year. It's all football here, all the time! Even the surveyor's sticks for new building has the Bronco colors. Someone had to explain that to me.
Ha, I visited a friend in Colorado Springs forty years ago. I went into a convenience store and my Jersey self was somewhat annoyed, being used to going into a convenience store, finding what I need, paying, and getting out the door.

The woman working at the store didn't even make a move toward the counter when I brought up my purchase. She just stood there leaning against the wall, arms crossed, talking to another clerk about football, and finally turned to me and said, "So, are you rooting for the Broncos?"

I said, "Who are the Broncos?"

She said, "Oh, you're not from around here, are you?"

Inside I was screaming, "For God's sake, shut up with the idiotic chit-chat and let me pay and get out of here!" But by then I realized I was on a different planet and had better act like one of them.

Old 05-20-2020, 10:26 AM

50,710 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
My fiancé is from Boston. He says he’s going to root for the Pats AND Tampa Bay. I say you gotta pick a team and that’s it!

I think it’s fun though to live in an area where people are very passionate about the sports teams. One of the things I dislike about Florida is that no one really cared and it made it less fun. Around here, when the Eagles are doing good it’s like everyone is in a good mood and friendly to each other.

Old 05-20-2020, 10:28 AM

50,710 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Last one I went to was with a group from work (and I retired in early 2016). We went to see a Mets game. It was my first time at the new stadium, so I'm glad I went. It was really nice. Never went to the new Yankee stadium but I don't like them so I don't care.

At any rate, I think my days of such activities are done, but I do like to watch baseball on TV, and I hope that MLB is able to at least play a little bit this year.
I like baseball better on TV now, because it’s gotten so slow moving. I know it was never a fast game, but I really don’t remember every batter being up at the plate for 12 minutes. They swing once, then they need to walk 10 feet away and shake it off and then walk back to try again! So I DVR the games so I can fast forward through a little bit LOL.

Old 05-20-2020, 10:34 AM

15,713 posts, read 9,512,680 times
I miss sports and concerts. We were planing t go to Carolina Gamecock baseball games this year and Columbia Fireflies (Mets single A team here) this summer. I have gone to football games, but to me, it's easier to watch on TV than live whereas baseball is just the opposite. I enjoy high school football games though.

I really miss concerts, especially local bands and shows. I follow some great local to me bands and they are hurting right now and some will not survive financially. I've tried to help out with a few merchandise purchases, but that's not a lot of help. One Columbia singer from a band has tried to do some live shows from his home but keeps having technical troubles. I feel bad for him. He lists his PayPal link for those willing to donate, but it's hard to get seen and keep your name out there when it's literally hard to get seen and keep your name out there.

Her is one of their songs --

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oc3v8omYlSA

Old 05-20-2020, 10:37 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
I miss my family!!!!! Gonna break soon and plan a visit.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 05-20-2020, 10:57 AM

18,703 posts, read 33,366,372 times
Quote:
... Around here, when the Eagles are doing good it’s like everyone is in a good mood and friendly to each other.
When I was a kid living in Blackwood, NJ, Pete Retzlaff lived down the street. I knew he was famous but didn't care for football. A normal decent little suburb in south Jersey. Must have been well before the enormous contracts, like 1963!

Old 05-20-2020, 11:42 AM

11,412 posts, read 7,798,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I miss my family!!!!! Gonna break soon and plan a visit.
Yeah. That’s my biggest issue. Can’t go to see my daughter, SIL and one and only grandchild. Pretty sure I won’t get to be at his first birthday on July 4th. That’s really going to hurt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events