Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2020, 12:37 PM

17,593 posts, read 15,266,523 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
Fast food burger and pizza places have packaging designed for to go / delivery business. A sit down restaurant probably does not. I can imagine your food sliding around on the way home not exactly looking appetizing by the time you dig in, not to mention getting cold. No thanks I am fine cooking at home until this is over.

And there is always that chance ever so slight of catching the virus ordering takeout. I don't think we know for sure that it is not possible.

While I won't argue with your points because, they are valid.. We *DO* need people eating out now when they normally wouldn't to keep some of these places from going away.

I've been eating out far more during this whole situation. Trying to stick to locally owned restaurants. Your corporate owned places.. They're going to make it through for the most part. But the small mom-and-pops.. They're really needing all the business they can get.

I've heard the part about people saying buy gift certificates, but.. Yeah, I fall into the group that won't do that because if the place does go under, you've basically made a donation.

There's certain places I'd keep a wide berth from. Your cold-food shops (Subway, etc).. Sushi places.. Anything that's cold prepared food seems a bit much of a gamble for me.

And don't forget that many of your chain restaurants can be locally O&O. So, you can't make the blanket "I'm not eating at McDonalds because they're a big corporation".. I'm fine with not eating at McD's because the food sucks.. But it could be someone in your community that owns that McDonalds. So, don't assume because they have a big name they're going to be fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2020, 01:32 PM

50,807 posts, read 36,501,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
While I won't argue with your points because, they are valid.. We *DO* need people eating out now when they normally wouldn't to keep some of these places from going away.

I've been eating out far more during this whole situation. Trying to stick to locally owned restaurants. Your corporate owned places.. They're going to make it through for the most part. But the small mom-and-pops.. They're really needing all the business they can get.

I've heard the part about people saying buy gift certificates, but.. Yeah, I fall into the group that won't do that because if the place does go under, you've basically made a donation.

There's certain places I'd keep a wide berth from. Your cold-food shops (Subway, etc).. Sushi places.. Anything that's cold prepared food seems a bit much of a gamble for me.

And don't forget that many of your chain restaurants can be locally O&O. So, you can't make the blanket "I'm not eating at McDonalds because they're a big corporation".. I'm fine with not eating at McD's because the food sucks.. But it could be someone in your community that owns that McDonalds. So, don't assume because they have a big name they're going to be fine.

I don't think McDonalds has much to worry about in this country! I actually tried to go to drive through on my way back from UPS last week, and as soon as I tuned in I saw at least 20 cars in 2 lines. Did a quick U-turn! Our local pizza place (one of very few that deliver to us) was closed, although I didn't pull in to read the handwritten sign in the window. Our favorite Chinese restaurant seems 10 times busier than before, we were told to come in an hour after we placed our order the other day. I almost went into a convenience store when I was getting gas, it's a regional chain with good sandwiches (was going to get a meatball sub, not cold) but as I watched a steady stream of people pouring in and out, I thought better of it.

I worry about our local diner, but really we are trying not to spend too much, and takeout dinner there would be $35-$45 plus tip. Chinese is cheap with what we get. One $5 quart of wonton is 2 meals by itself, and egg rolls remain a bargain at a little over $1.00 even though they're the size of soup cans.

Old 04-02-2020, 03:59 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,111,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
This is absolutely true. My husband is a GM of a restaurant that it trying to survive using carry out. It is abysmal. In our area, we know of at least 2 restaurants that will not be re-opening. If the it goes on much longer, there will be more.
Then those guys are nuts. With the amount of loans, grants, and incentives being given out, they should be able to reopen. I would imagine they were going to close anyway. My family is also in the restaurant business. Our company did shut down one of our restaurants in a difficult market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
A local mall is basically empty with the exception of Cheesecake Factory, Macy's and a movie theater. I go to the movies about once a week, and no matter what day or time I go, there is always a crowd of people outside Cheesecake Factory waiting for a table.

And it's not like they shut down, they're still doing takeout orders. With the amount of people who eat there every day, I would think they'd still be doing pretty decent, especially since they can greatly reduce their staff during this time.
Cheesecake Factory's menu is ingredient heavy. The Spring Rolls alone have about sixty ingredients including the sauces. It's the expensive back of the house labor that is making those and not the $3 an hour wait staff. They are losing money staying open but cash is still flowing.

Old 04-02-2020, 07:40 PM

10,351 posts, read 8,572,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
They're all broke from hoarding food and paper products, now they can't pay rent...
Maybe they will barter extra tp for rent

Old 04-02-2020, 10:29 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,603,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I don't think McDonalds has much to worry about in this country! I actually tried to go to drive through on my way back from UPS last week, and as soon as I tuned in I saw at least 20 cars in 2 lines. Did a quick U-turn! Our local pizza place (one of very few that deliver to us) was closed, although I didn't pull in to read the handwritten sign in the window. Our favorite Chinese restaurant seems 10 times busier than before, we were told to come in an hour after we placed our order the other day. I almost went into a convenience store when I was getting gas, it's a regional chain with good sandwiches (was going to get a meatball sub, not cold) but as I watched a steady stream of people pouring in and out, I thought better of it.

I worry about our local diner, but really we are trying not to spend too much, and takeout dinner there would be $35-$45 plus tip. Chinese is cheap with what we get. One $5 quart of wonton is 2 meals by itself, and egg rolls remain a bargain at a little over $1.00 even though they're the size of soup cans.
Even larger chain fast food joints cannot survive being shut down for weeks at a time, especially when there is no timeline on re opening!

Many of these places are doing drive thru (like McDs), but they are still loosing LOTS of money from their dining rooms being closed.

Plus, you also have to consider, even though some restaurants and fast food joints may be doing good right now...but given the state of the economy in general...they will be dragged down with the rest of the sinking ship when it goes down. I think we are going to be amazed at how connected everything truly was after this, it will be like watching dominoes falling, one business going under will directly and indirectly impact others, those will impact others too, and so on and so on down the line.

Whats really scary to think about, is the GLOBAL economy and what conditions its going to be in when this is said and done...so the US could be in good shape, but since the global economy is so bad, it may drag the US down with it.

Everything is really 'up in the air' right now, until we have some kind of rough time line, its a crap shoot.

Old 04-03-2020, 07:55 AM

50,807 posts, read 36,501,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Then those guys are nuts. With the amount of loans, grants, and incentives being given out, they should be able to reopen. I would imagine they were going to close anyway. My family is also in the restaurant business. Our company did shut down one of our restaurants in a difficult market.

Cheesecake Factory's menu is ingredient heavy. The Spring Rolls alone have about sixty ingredients including the sauces. It's the expensive back of the house labor that is making those and not the $3 an hour wait staff. They are losing money staying open but cash is still flowing.
There are a lot of problems already with the small business loans. Banks have not even been given guidance yet regarding how they were going to be given out, and many of them are saying that they are not going to extend loans except for people that they’ve already done business with. It’s probably going to be at least several weeks or longer before people figure out the bureaucracy of this and the money actually starts getting into their hands. By that time any of them will already be closed for good.

Not talking about cheesecake factories etc or other corporate chains.

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 04-03-2020 at 08:38 AM..

Old 04-03-2020, 08:08 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,896,013 times
A corporation making a rent strike? How does that work exactly? Cheesecake factor had a net income of $130 million in 2019 with a 7% profit margin.
Who are they striking against? Local real estate companies, smaller business leasing companies, part of our local communities. They aren't striking against THE MAN, it's THE MAN striking against us.

Cheesecake Factory - pay your damn bills.

Old 04-03-2020, 09:24 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,544,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
It's kinda funny to me how they've co-opted "can't pay rent" into "won't pay rent". Kinda one and the same, isn't it? I guess "won't pay rent" kind of salves the pride maybe.
No. It’s completely different. Can’t pay rent doesn’t mean you don’t want to pay the rent. It means you’re unable to pay due to not having the financial means.

Won’t pay rent means you’re unwilling to pay the rent regardless of the financial ability.

You can’t sit here and say that all of the sudden people are just “wont pay rent” mentality. No. There are a few people who are sing this as a chance of “getting back at the man” but these people are the types who are financially screwed up even in good times.

I for example will keep paying my mortgage. I’m affected by the CV19 but my finances are still good. I’ll keep paying my bills even though I can probably defer and play games. I simply choose not to waste my time with bs antics.

Old 04-03-2020, 10:01 AM

10,351 posts, read 8,572,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
No. It’s completely different. Can’t pay rent doesn’t mean you don’t want to pay the rent. It means you’re unable to pay due to not having the financial means.

Won’t pay rent means you’re unwilling to pay the rent regardless of the financial ability.

You can’t sit here and say that all of the sudden people are just “wont pay rent” mentality. No. There are a few people who are sing this as a chance of “getting back at the man” but these people are the types who are financially screwed up even in good times.

I for example will keep paying my mortgage. I’m affected by the CV19 but my finances are still good. I’ll keep paying my bills even though I can probably defer and play games. I simply choose not to waste my time with bs antics.
Getting back at the man=getting back at those who made an effort to do better than they did to make themselves feel better.

Old 04-03-2020, 10:03 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,029,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post

Well, those who are going on strike are saying "Won't pay rent" aren't they? If, in some locals (St. Louis, for example) deferrments for rent are being allowed, then why would those renters decide to go on strike? Because they've decided they WON'T pay rent.

Or, maybe I'm not getting it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events