Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2020, 06:25 AM

6,471 posts, read 6,673,816 times

Advertisements

This is the current events forum.

This is a thread about Disneyworld.

Take your arguing elsewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2020, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
Perhaps this would be difficult to determine but I'll ask anyway . . .has there been any known correlation between those many, many, MANY thousands of people who visited Disney theme parks and their having soon afterwards contracted the Covid-19 virus?
That's a great question (and thanks for trying to steer the thread back to the original topic).

I don't know the answer to your question, but I do know that Louisiana, with hundreds of thousands at Mardi Gras events, fared far worse than her neighbors, both in terms of positives and in deaths.

Old 05-01-2020, 07:08 AM

2,558 posts, read 2,902,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Then I'll ask you to provide polls that show more people are worried about the economy and want to open up than stay closed. Instead of claiming Fake News here's your chance to prove that.
I don't think a poll really reflects what is going on. Common sense will tell you that more want it to stay closed because the health fear is stronger than the economic one.
Folks that are drawing Social Security/Pensions don't care as they have both their economic and healthcare taken care of.
Folks that are still working fall in the same category, they are being looked after.
Folks in the military, same thing.
Then you have the folks that are wealthy, no worries here either.
You also have the folks laid of, drawing unemployment plus the "adjustment amount" They don't want to go back and suffer the pay cut.
The above classifications make up the vast majority of Americans. A few are concerned about their close relatives and friends who are not so lucky.

On the other hand you have the small business owners hanging on by a thread. Economic fear is an understatement.
You also have the unemployed who cannot draw unemployment, food and shelter are a huge concern.
Small rental property owners are concerned because many of their tenants are unable to pay rent but the mortgage, taxes, and maintenance expenses keep on coming.

Then there is a percentage who realize that a prolonged shutdown will have dire affects down the road and will affect each and everyone of us. I believe those that want the economy to stay closed either have their head in the sand or are very uncaring individuals.

Old 05-01-2020, 07:09 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 5 days ago)

35,620 posts, read 17,948,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
This is the current events forum.

This is a thread about Disneyworld.

Take your arguing elsewhere.
No it isn't. Read your OP.

This is about Covid, as it relates to Disney's closure.

If you wanted to start a thread about Disney, you could put it in the Travel section and ask who's sad Disney is closed and what's your favorite/least favorite thing about the park.

Old 05-01-2020, 07:40 AM

16,418 posts, read 12,499,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
The bolded is the part we've long gotten away from. Now it's just general COVID debate, which there are plenty of other threads for.

Old 05-01-2020, 08:54 AM

11,295 posts, read 18,880,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggT View Post
Then there is a percentage who realize that a prolonged shutdown will have dire affects down the road and will affect each and everyone of us. I believe those that want the economy to stay closed either have their head in the sand or are very uncaring individuals.

No they are very caring. They care about people who did not get sick or die because we didn't just "turn on the light switch" and send our COVID numbers soaring. They care about already super overwhelmed health care heroes who don't need to be needlessly overwhelmed further.

The real solution (for brevity I left out the rest of your post) is for something to be done about the small business owners, those who can't get unemployment, etc. just like everyone else and not ignore them and leave them in the dust, not to make our crisis even worse.

Old 05-01-2020, 10:10 AM

50,748 posts, read 36,447,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggT View Post
I don't think a poll really reflects what is going on. Common sense will tell you that more want it to stay closed because the health fear is stronger than the economic one.
Folks that are drawing Social Security/Pensions don't care as they have both their economic and healthcare taken care of.
Folks that are still working fall in the same category, they are being looked after.
Folks in the military, same thing.
Then you have the folks that are wealthy, no worries here either.
You also have the folks laid of, drawing unemployment plus the "adjustment amount" They don't want to go back and suffer the pay cut.
The above classifications make up the vast majority of Americans. A few are concerned about their close relatives and friends who are not so lucky.

On the other hand you have the small business owners hanging on by a thread. Economic fear is an understatement.
You also have the unemployed who cannot draw unemployment, food and shelter are a huge concern.
Small rental property owners are concerned because many of their tenants are unable to pay rent but the mortgage, taxes, and maintenance expenses keep on coming.

I don't think anyone wants it to stay closed. They want to re-open when the guidelines put out by the experts are met, such as declining cases, more testing capability, contact tracing. What those who want to re-open before safeguards are in place don't understand that we might end up having to start lockdowns all over again. We all want the economy open, we just want it done right.

Old 05-01-2020, 10:30 AM

26,721 posts, read 26,793,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister 7 View Post
Yes, I lived in LA for 2 years and we never went, because of the price.

I hear lines are awful there
They do have the Fast Passes, but yes, the lines are long, especially in the summer months. I don't know how a reopening would work if people had to stay 6 ft apart from each other in line. Or how willing families would be to go at all, especially given the recent price increase.

Quote:
The California governor closed the beaches today because they were too crowded in the last few days - too many people getting out.
Too many people not abiding by the 6 ft rule.

Old 05-01-2020, 11:56 AM

Quote:
No it isn't. Read your OP.

If you wanted to start a thread about Disney, you could put it in the Travel section and ask who's sad Disney is closed and what's your favorite/least favorite thing about the park.
Most of the arguing going on here has nothing to do with my OP, but more importantly, threads in the current events forum get closed down when they become controversial and argumentative. Controversies belong in the POC forum.

Old 05-01-2020, 12:20 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,967,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
Not that I'm a fan of Disney parks, but I was shocked enough back in March when they closed "for a couple weeks." Unheard of at that time. Now they're saying they hope to reopen Jan 1, 2021.

Would you feel comfortable going if Covid has declined but is still circulating? I wonder what, if any, permanent changes they make.
Do you know what "news" is?

There is no truth to any of this, but you fit right into the Internet/media mold, so I guess it doesn't matter. Fake news, real news whatever news is all sort of a wash. End of the day though, it is all fake because it is all about controlling our minds and feeding an agenda. We are being controlled by media.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events