Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2020, 01:37 PM

15,419 posts, read 9,069,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
It's really impossible to make some people understand that the economy is inextricably tied to the health and well-being of citizens. You can't take away the economy while leaving everyone happy and well.

You might take a look at some countries which have hundreds of millions of people and a crummy economy. Do you want the US to be like Bangladesh or Nigeria?
I would rather live in Bangladesh or Nigeria, then be dead and buried in the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2020, 01:40 PM

5,818 posts, read 2,668,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
I would rather live in Bangladesh or Nigeria, then be dead and buried in the US.
Bye!

Old 04-30-2020, 01:41 PM

1,361 posts, read 552,659 times
Quote:
So you are willing to sacrifice the lives of hundreds of thousands, maybe millions of Americans, to reopen early?
Quote:
It's a pretty sad commentary on this country, that people think reopening the economy early, is more important then the health and wellbeing of American citizens. This is truly a country that doesn't care about its citizens.
But yet most polls show Americans are more concerned with the ECONOMY than they are with catching this virus. Imagine that.

Millions? Yeah, I've heard that too. It was 3M, then 2M, then 1M.. and is now down to 60k predicted deaths by the "experts" out there. Whatever.

Here in Washington state we have like 750 deaths out of a 7.5M population... or .0001%. I'm still working an "essential" job. The wife too. We haven't missed a beat. I put my stimulus check into the stock market. You should ask the people who are sitting at home under stay at home orders going broke what they think about opening up the country.

When the unemployment office is overwhelmed but hospitals aren't... is it time to open up the country or continue to stay at home watching the fear mongering media on the TV?

Old 04-30-2020, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
I don't think that's a fair statement. The economy AND citizens' health are both important, and each is ultimately dependent on the other. Rational people understand that we are facing a never before seen crisis, with no ideal solution.

I am trying to be open-minded towards people whose opinions vary from mine, as I don't believe anyone wants the economy to crash nor for hundreds of thousands of people to die.

The only people I'm getting annoyed with are the ones who blatantly flaunt their disregard for safety, like the person who spit in the face of a cashier, or the protestors who were packed in tight without wearing masks.

So....(getting back to the topic), as places like Disney open up, it will be interesting to see if people comply with required precautions, like masks and spacing out or whatever requirements are made.
There is very little difference. Opening the economy early is a disregard for safety.

Old 04-30-2020, 01:48 PM

14,302 posts, read 11,692,440 times
Quote:
That is what you are advocating. If we reopen early, more people will die. That is a fact. More then 60,000 Americans are already dead, and that number will pass 100,000. You are advocating killing people, so the economy can reopen quicker.
More people will not die. The same amount of people will die if we reopen very, very slowly; it will just take longer to happen.

The only way you could imagine that an absolute total of more people would die if we reopen, is if

A) you firmly believe there will be an effective vaccine within the next few months, which would stop the virus in its tracks, or

B) you believe the medical system will be overwhelmed, and people will be dying for lack of adequate care.

We've already found that B) is not happening, and there is no evidence that A) will happen ever, according to quite a few medical experts and researchers who have been trying for the past 50 years to find a vaccine for a coronavirus. (Ever heard of the elusive "Cure for the Common Cold"? That's it.)

What you're really saying is I don't want anyone to get this virus ever. I want us all to stay inside as long as it takes for it goes away. Unfortunately, that's not a reasonable option.

You should also ponder that about 2.7 million Americans die every year, and if there were 100,000 COVID deaths, a large number of them would be people who would pass away before the end of December anyway. So if theoretically exactly 2,700,000 were going to die this year anyway, that number is not going to be bumped up to 2,800,000 because of COVID. It would be considerably fewer than that, because of overlap.

Old 04-30-2020, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach911 View Post
But yet most polls show Americans are more concerned with the ECONOMY than they are with catching this virus. Imagine that.

Millions? Yeah, I've heard that too. It was 3M, then 2M, then 1M.. and is now down to 60k predicted deaths by the "experts" out there. Whatever.

At the end of the day you do what you want to do. I'm still working an "essential" job. The wife too. We haven't missed a beat. I put my stimulus check into the stock market. You should ask the people who are sitting at home under stay at home orders going broke what they think about opening up the country.

When the unemployment office is overwhelmed but hospitals aren't... is it time to open up the country or continue to stay at home?
It is not down to 60K. The death toll is now at 62,444, and going up more then 2,000 a day. You can't predict a number lower then the actual number.

Template_2019–20 coronavirus pandemic data - Wikipedia

Old 04-30-2020, 01:58 PM

5,818 posts, read 2,668,972 times
Quote:
It is not down to 60K. The death toll is now at 62,444, and going up more then 2,000 a day. You can't predict a number lower then the actual number.

Nobody is stopping you from sitting inside.

Sit inside and virtue signal until the sun becomes a red giant and engulfs the Earth, I really couldn't care less.

Old 04-30-2020, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister 7 View Post

Sit inside and virtue signal until the sun becomes a red giant and engulfs the Earth, I really couldn't care less.
So you can go out and spread a deadly virus around? NO!

Old 04-30-2020, 02:05 PM

1,361 posts, read 552,659 times
Quote:

The 60k number I was talking about I saw 2 weeks ago... which is about the last time I turned on the TV to listen to the "experts"... and 62,444 is still a LONG way off from the millions that we heard at the beginning and you mentioned in your last post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister 7 View Post

Amen to that. Cloudy Dayz may be buying the everyone going to die narrative the media is feeding people but some of us are smart enough to see that just isn't the case. The numbers (.0001% for the state of Washington in my case) say otherwise.

Good luck out there everyone. Gonna drop out of this thread now... and for the record I will definitely be making use of my tickets for the trip to Disneyland on Aug 1st weekend... assuming it's open. If not, they're good till January 2022.

Old 04-30-2020, 02:09 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,017,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
More people will not die. The same amount of people will die if we reopen very, very slowly; it will just take longer to happen.
Keyword being if. If we open very, very slowly...if.

The next county over is reopening Monday. Any business that wants to is allowed to open, no limits on the number of people allowed to gather, no required mask. It is suggested that people still social distance, but it's only a suggestion. It's pretty much how things were prior to March 15.

Of course individual businesses are allowed to set their own restrictions... But we'll see how that goes. I know one local restaurant I frequent has already announced that despite the reopening, they will continue to only have deliver and curbside pick up available. Hopefully others follow their lead so that there is a slow reopening instead of just flinging the doors wide open.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events