Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2020, 11:10 AM

50,787 posts, read 24,297,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Everyone can decide to quarantine themselves as they need to, Dave.

I was on a Zoom last night with extended family, some of whom are teachers, and their school districts are having conversations about how to social distance in the fall when school starts up again. As in, much staggered lunches in the cafeteria, desks 6 feet apart, etc.

We can't do this forever. In the fall, we'll have to return to normal again. Distancing in schools is an impossible farce.

You're wrong about the economy. The stock market for now is holding on bravely and cheerfully, but small businesses are going under and big businesses are going under, and we're about to see a big break in the food supply chain that will affect what is in our markets.

When we all come out of this quarantine, blinking like weasels coming out of a water pipe, and look around us, we'll see businesses we had no idea went belly-up while we were staying home. And those business owners and their employees are now out of work. We just can't see it because we're inside.

A little like driving around after a tornado and seeing what you can't see while you're in your basement.

And yes, there have been collateral deaths. Heart surgeries that were scheduled but postponed because the doctors couldn't certify that it was a "crisis emergent need" and it turned out yes, it was an emergent need. Abuse of children going on behind closed doors, away from the eyes of the public, is at an alarming level.

This isolation is hurting us, while it is helping slow the spread of this virus. Isolation and closure of services comes at a very dear price.
This is a very selfish attitude.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2020, 11:25 AM

15,419 posts, read 9,065,606 times
Quote:
That has certainly been a factor in spreading new infections out over a period of time as opposed to all at once.

But when you realize 40X the number of us are likely infected than believed earlier, it changes things. The percentage of serious illness is tiny compared to the infection rate.

We can't spend our lives running from this virus. At some point, we have to step up and face it, and spread out that exposure as we've done now and continue to do, to ensure that hospitals aren't dealing with the ill all at once,
but rather, in metered doses.

The idea of shielding the population from exposure forever is absolutely impossible. Exposing people in stages is the way to do it. And that's what we're doing by removing restrictions a little at a time.
So you are willing to sacrifice the lives of hundreds of thousands, maybe millions of Americans, to reopen early?

Old 04-30-2020, 11:31 AM

4,525 posts, read 3,404,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
So you are willing to sacrifice the lives of hundreds of thousands, maybe millions of Americans, to reopen early?
There isn't going to be a perfect time to reopen. Unless you're willing to wait years for a potential vaccine, which is obviously unrealistic.

She's not wrong.

Old 04-30-2020, 11:40 AM

5,818 posts, read 2,668,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
We all understand we can't stay shut in forever and nobody is suggesting this. It's only been a month. But your whole "let's just get exposed and get it over with" is so irresponsible I don't even know where to start. My wife has high blood pressure, smokes and is over 60. Should I just throw her to the wolves and hope it works out based on the low fatality figures if I were to go back to work? Are you willing to expose your mom to this additional risk for the good of the economy? You are right, the odds of dying even if exposed are very long. But I'm not putting my wife into that risk group and I won't apologize for that.

All this nonsense about how the economy is going to be ruined and we will all be in a depression that will cost us more lives than the virus is nothing more than a theory. The same group that is somehow claiming a virus that will kill 100,000 Americans "wasn't that bad" are now not willing to listen to the line of thinking that the economic fallout may not be as bad as they believe.
Let me guess...unemployment is paying as much or more than you were making?

Why go back to work when you can get the same amount for free from Uncle Sam?

We’re supposed to sit on our hands forever bc your wife chooses to smoke and live an unhealthy lifestyle?

Old 04-30-2020, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorker11356 View Post
There isn't going to be a perfect time to reopen. Unless you're willing to wait years for a potential vaccine, which is obviously unrealistic.

She's not wrong.
It's a pretty sad commentary on this country, that people think reopening the economy early, is more important then the health and wellbeing of American citizens. This is truly a country that doesn't care about its citizens.

Old 04-30-2020, 12:34 PM

14,302 posts, read 11,688,680 times
Quote:
It's a pretty sad commentary on this country, that people think reopening the economy early, is more important then the health and wellbeing of American citizens. This is truly a country that doesn't care about its citizens.
It's really impossible to make some people understand that the economy is inextricably tied to the health and well-being of citizens. You can't take away the economy while leaving everyone happy and well.

You might take a look at some countries which have hundreds of millions of people and a crummy economy. Do you want the US to be like Bangladesh or Nigeria?

Old 04-30-2020, 12:57 PM

6,471 posts, read 6,674,898 times
Quote:
I don't think that's a fair statement. The economy AND citizens' health are both important, and each is ultimately dependent on the other. Rational people understand that we are facing a never before seen crisis, with no ideal solution.

I am trying to be open-minded towards people whose opinions vary from mine, as I don't believe anyone wants the economy to crash nor for hundreds of thousands of people to die.

The only people I'm getting annoyed with are the ones who blatantly flaunt their disregard for safety, like the person who spit in the face of a cashier, or the protestors who were packed in tight without wearing masks.

So....(getting back to the topic), as places like Disney open up, it will be interesting to see if people comply with required precautions, like masks and spacing out or whatever requirements are made.

Old 04-30-2020, 01:10 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 5 days ago)

35,620 posts, read 17,948,343 times
Quote:
No, I'm absolutely not willing to risk the lives of "hundreds of thousands, maybe millions".

That's not going to happen.

Old 04-30-2020, 01:26 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 5 days ago)

35,620 posts, read 17,948,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
This is a very selfish attitude.
I don't see how this is "selfish". I'm not suffering the least from unemployment, and will not likely suffer much from a downturned economy.

I'm watching the fate of others, and am believing that now we've accomplished the goal we set out to do - to spread out infections so they occur at a rate that emergency critical care will be available to all who need it.

This "slow the roll' was never meant to greatly reduce the number of people who became infected, although somehow not many people grasped that when it was introduced. Most people seemed to perceive, incorrectly, that the "show the roll' was a misnomer, and the goal was to minimize the number of infected people.

It wasn't. It never was that. If we have the goal of keeping infections to an absolute minimum, we will never be able to leave quarantine. Never.

The process has worked. People needing critical care have been kept to numbers that can be served with the systems we have in place, and will continue to have in place as we move forward through this pacing of the infections.

(I honestly think, when this plan was introduced nationally few were paying attention to the graphic. The original graphics showed the same number of people getting critically ill, but the pace was spread out over time. That's what was planned, and that's what's successfully happening. The pace has slowed to a manageable level so people aren't dying due to ventilators and beds being unavailable).

Old 04-30-2020, 01:34 PM

Quote:
No, I'm absolutely not willing to risk the lives of "hundreds of thousands, maybe millions".

That's not going to happen.
That is what you are advocating. If we reopen early, more people will die. That is a fact. More then 60,000 Americans are already dead, and that number will pass 100,000. You are advocating killing people, so the economy can reopen quicker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events