Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2021, 04:15 PM

50,727 posts, read 36,431,973 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
It's LA so its the prosecutor who won't even press charges.
It's up to the cops at the scene whether to charge him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2021, 04:26 PM

17,285 posts, read 22,013,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anononcty View Post
A 17 year old 'driving' a Lamborghini 120 mph killed a women running into the side of her car.

https://www.newsbreak.com/california...n-tragic-crash

Police won't release name yet. Friends and family want the driver/murderer prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

A Lamborghini ? Doesn't say if stolen, his parents or his own. The 17 year old is a murderer and should be treated/charged as an adult.
Florida had the same story, old guy drinking all afternoon gets in his yellow Lambo and street races his girlfriend home, killing a retiree that was driving for Uber part time. Middle of the day, 35 mph zone he was running over 80. Drunk gets charged, settled with the widow and never spent a night in jail (got house arrest).

https://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/2...borghini-crash

Old 02-24-2021, 04:33 PM

30,619 posts, read 18,203,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
The "charge" that the cops make is actually a recommendation to charge. It is up to the prosecutor's office to actually bring formal charges by accepting the police's recommendation, which they would do when someone is presented before a judge/grand jury.

Old 02-24-2021, 06:30 PM

46,944 posts, read 25,972,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
That is not technically correct. Police officers do not make the decision to prosecute. The District Attorney does.

Old 02-24-2021, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
That is not technically correct. Police officers do not make the decision to prosecute. The District Attorney does.
Normally though arrests happen at the scene. They don't decide what to do afterward, but they decide a crime was committed enough to make an arrest.

Old 02-24-2021, 06:57 PM

102,193 posts, read 107,823,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2x3x29x41 View Post
Yes.

Most 30-year-old in LA owns a Lexus. And most high schoolers have a Lambo.

First, a new Lexus can be had for under $40k. That's not that unusual for a thirty-year-old, especially in a place with relatively high incomes (like LA). And it could have been a used Lexus.

Second, there are 3+ million people in LA. Every major metro areas is going to have a few such spoiled kids. Larger ones (and LA is the second-largest metro in the country) will have more. Toss in the money (and the fact that such vehicles can be more readily enjoyed in southern California than it places like New York or Chicago) and there will be a few more.

Third, the reason that this is a story is that 'Lamborghini' makes for a catchy headline. Why do people think that a story, designed to drive clicks and thus revenues, is somehow a representative sampling of reality?
Receptionist jobs don't provide relatively high income, and besides, in LA the COL is higher than average, too. When I lived in Seattle, I didn't know any young receptionists who could afford a a car at all (gas, insurance, maintenance, to say nothing of the actual purchase price/loan/whatever). And that was before rents got really insane in Seattle.

I suppose a receptionist living with her parents could afford a car, and a Lexus at that. There's some young 20-something guy in my neighborhood living with his parents, who has a Jaguar. So...that's the only possibility I'm willing to entertain, to explain this.

Old 02-24-2021, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Receptionist jobs don't provide relatively high income, and besides, in LA the COL is higher than average, too. When I lived in Seattle, I didn't know any young receptionists who could afford a a car at all (gas, insurance, maintenance, to say nothing of the actual purchase price/loan/whatever). And that was before rents got really insane in Seattle.

I suppose a receptionist living with her parents could afford a car, and a Lexus at that. There's some young 20-something guy in my neighborhood living with his parents, who has a Jaguar. So...that's the only possibility I'm willing to entertain, to explain this.
It might be her parent's car for all we know. She might live with her parents and be able to spend her money on what she wants. But I once had a used Acura that I paid less than $14,000 for. It looked brand new, but it was 5 years old. So just the name of the car doesn't mean anything. People are assuming she bought it brand new. I can't believe people are so focused on that in any case.

Old 02-24-2021, 09:53 PM

3,318 posts, read 1,815,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
She was stunning. I hope he goes to jail for a long time. Hopefully the parents can't bail him out with money.
Then what would they bail him out with??
Unless the boy is a legitimate flight risk he has a constituional right to (a non-excessive) bail.

Old 02-24-2021, 09:54 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,964,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Florida had the same story, old guy drinking all afternoon gets in his yellow Lambo and street races his girlfriend home, killing a retiree that was driving for Uber part time. Middle of the day, 35 mph zone he was running over 80. Drunk gets charged, settled with the widow and never spent a night in jail (got house arrest).

https://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/2...borghini-crash
That story isn't at all the same. Who said the 17 year old was drinking? Nothing alike at all.

Old 02-24-2021, 09:56 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,964,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC1984 View Post
I believe it was a Urus. So, not technically a supercar but a super-crossover.
Yeah, any SUV like a Urus is a death trap. Lots of power, but still an SUV. Never a good combo because no matter how great you make them, they can't beat that pesky thing called physics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events