Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2021, 05:27 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,450,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
True, but I have no idea if the condo complex allowed pets or not; most DO, with certain restrictions. I was asking if the FEMA housing/shelters allowed them (many disaster accommodations DON'T).
I don't know about the FEMA housing. Currently, most people that need shelter are being put up in hotels from what I read.

I did read a story about a woman who walked out of the bldg on her own carrying her dog, so the condo must have allowed pets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2021, 05:34 PM

17,251 posts, read 15,446,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
Numerous people have pets even though not allowed. I lived for years in condos where pets were not allowed, yet had cats.
This is much more common than some seem to think.

Old 06-28-2021, 07:22 PM

16,912 posts, read 10,604,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Very Man Himself View Post
AP is reporting that with $9M in structural repairs, plus $6M in aesthetic improvements, owners were facing bills of $80,000 for a one bedroom, and $330,000 for a penthouse.

https://apnews.com/article/business-...sam&stream=top
The condos were expensive and many of the owners seemed wealthy. Too bad they decided not to crack open those wallets.
Moderators for US and World Forums

Old 06-28-2021, 07:41 PM

10,365 posts, read 8,001,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
The condos were expensive and many of the owners seemed wealthy. Too bad they decided not to crack open those wallets.
"Seemed wealthy" and "ARE wealthy" are two different things. Many people who look wealthy don't have much in the way of actual cash/investment reserves; they are spenders, not savers/investors. And I suspect quite a few of the elderly people who lived in that building bought their unit long before the sale prices became so inflated, and honestly may not have had the money to handle a huge special assessment (which might explain why the needed repairs were postponed for years).

Old 06-28-2021, 07:42 PM

631 posts, read 290,055 times
Quote:
Let's blame the victims, shall we, even though they did crack open their wallets, as an abundance of posts have now evidenced.

Facts, evidence -- and a touch of sober compassion?

Edit: Again -- they were paying for the repairs. The repairs were underway as this happened.

Old 06-28-2021, 08:22 PM

17,411 posts, read 16,566,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
"Seemed wealthy" and "ARE wealthy" are two different things. Many people who look wealthy don't have much in the way of actual cash/investment reserves; they are spenders, not savers/investors. And I suspect quite a few of the elderly people who lived in that building bought their unit long before the sale prices became so inflated, and honestly may not have had the money to handle a huge special assessment (which might explain why the needed repairs were postponed for years).
I suspect the same.

Old 06-28-2021, 08:27 PM

15,426 posts, read 9,107,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
I doubt they are going to find anyone alive at this point. Sad for the families that are waiting and hoping.

I've always disliked tall buildings. If staying at a hotel I usually request a lower floor. I could never live in a big city where all the living spaces are tall apartment buildings. Anything above the 3rd floor is more than I like.
It was always my dream to live in a high rise, but I could never find one I could afford. That all changed after 9/11 when I realized that these buildings, no matter how big they are, are incredibly fragile, and can fall down with little to no advanced notice. That ended any desire I had to live in one. Now if I somehow came into a half a million dollars, I sure wouldn't waste it on one of these giant houses of cards.

Old 06-28-2021, 09:09 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,450,836 times
Quote:
Seems a little premature to be blaming the victims.

Seems like we don't really know if these needed repairs had anything to do with the collapse of the bldg.

Seems like they had opened their wallets or at least voted to do so and repairs were underway starting with the roof.

Seems like no one thought the repairs had to be done immediately or the town would have condemned and evacuated the bldg.

Seems like we have no idea how wealthy any of these people are/were. Who knows how long they owned their units or what price they bought them at. Lots of booms/busts in FL real estate since this bldg. went up.

Old 06-28-2021, 09:10 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,192,845 times
New article came out, showing the condition of the pool deck 36 hours before collapse.

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/loc...252421658.html

The concrete is literally CRUMBLING. What is lurking in some of these buildings where tenants are typically not allowed to enter?

Old 06-28-2021, 09:21 PM

5,426 posts, read 3,505,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
Seems a little premature to be blaming the victims.

Seems like we don't really know if these needed repairs had anything to do with the collapse of the bldg.

Seems like they had opened their wallets or at least voted to do so and repairs were underway starting with the roof.

Seems like no one thought the repairs had to be done immediately or the town would have condemned and evacuated the bldg.

Seems like we have no idea how wealthy any of these people are/were. Who knows how long they owned their units or what price they bought them at. Lots of booms/busts in FL real estate since this bldg. went up.
Sales prices can be looked up on the Miami-Dade Property Appraiser's website. I saw some sales prices of $150k back in 1985. The repairs had already begun, people were starting $1000 monthly assessments for the next 6 years. You are correct, some of these people are retired and not wealthy. I can't believe the victim shaming has already started.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events