Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2021, 12:46 AM

13,251 posts, read 7,300,036 times

Advertisements

Driver loses control and hits a homes mailbox that has been installed with a 8" pipe concreted 3 feet into the ground. Two lower courts ruled in favor of the homeowner now the Ohio Supreme Court will have to make a decision. They don't say if the driver was speeding, or wearing a seatbelt those two things have to be considered.

While I feel bad for the driver there seems to be this mindset that every accident which happens someone has to pay someone must be sued. People are injured for lot of reasons that is why I have life, and accident insurance that covers these kind of outcomes.

The home owner had fortified his mailbox because it had been previously vandalized I have done the same to my own mailbox with 3 inch square steel tube concreted 2 1/2 feet in the ground heavy gauge locking steel mailbox.

https://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...mxm-story.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2021, 06:39 AM

307 posts, read 213,882 times
I live in a cul-de-sac and have had my mailbox literally run over 3 times so I'm considering fortifying it to keep it from happening again.

In this case, why wouldn't the driver use his insurance to pay for damages since it was HIS fault? I'm confused by the lawsuit since the driver caused the accident. I guess we live in a society where no one wants to be held responsible for their own actions.

Old 06-24-2021, 07:16 AM

765 posts, read 621,092 times
He may not have insurance or his insurance may not pay out, at least not before he tries to get the money from the other guy. No, it makes no sense that it happens like that, but from what I can tell, this stuff is complicated. It's not just a matter of not being held responsible. Especially when the cause of the accident was black ice.

Old 06-24-2021, 11:11 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,200,354 times
There are a lot of naturally occurring and manmade immovable objects in the world, he'd have nobody to sue if he hit a tree or a streetlight so I don't see the point of a mailbox being a something questionable, but that's why the courts exist.

Of course the real issue is now that he's paralyzed and needs $ for care the system (courts) will often look for the deepest pockets (insurance companies) to pay out so he won't be a complete drain on society. "fault" doesn't even play into it anymore.

Old 06-24-2021, 11:28 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,955,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookashiny View Post
He may not have insurance or his insurance may not pay out, at least not before he tries to get the money from the other guy. No, it makes no sense that it happens like that, but from what I can tell, this stuff is complicated. It's not just a matter of not being held responsible. Especially when the cause of the accident was black ice.
Sorry, I beg to differ.

The cause of the accident was a driver who wasn't driving defensively in case of possible black ice. Doesn't everybody know you're supposed to reduce your speed when there are conditions in which black ice can form? And not to slam on the brakes if your rear end starts sliding left or right?

Old 06-24-2021, 11:37 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,015,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Sorry, I beg to differ.

The cause of the accident was a driver who wasn't driving defensively in case of possible black ice. Doesn't everybody know you're supposed to reduce your speed when there are conditions in which black ice can form? And not to slam on the brakes if your rear end starts sliding left or right?
Yes, it sounds like speed was a factor if hitting ice caused a rollover accident and his injuries are that severe. That doesn't happen from just driving on ice, there was some reckless, or at least unsafe, driving happening.

Old 06-24-2021, 11:46 AM

6,931 posts, read 218,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Sorry, I beg to differ.

I agree. Black Ice doesn't cause accidents any more than any solid country mailbox. Ohio has plenty of brick (or otherwise fortified) mailboxes. Ice is a natural occurrence, and it is common sense to drive accordingly.

Old 06-24-2021, 11:51 AM

765 posts, read 621,092 times
Honestly, I sympathize with the driver because he's probably just trying to get money to pay his medical bills, which are probably incredibly high. If we had a better system of healthcare, he wouldn't have to sue at all and cases like this would go away.

Old 06-24-2021, 11:53 AM

2,690 posts, read 1,611,920 times
Driver's fault.
Trees don't get out of the way for bad drivers, neither do buildings, neither should mailboxes have to collapse.

Old 06-24-2021, 12:15 PM

1,037 posts, read 434,994 times
Docket entries: On Appeal from Ohio's 6th District Court of Appeals.

https://www.supremecourt.ohio.gov/Cl...info/2020/1057
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events